Advantages to rooting?

azetoh

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty new to the Android world (got my Gnex just before Christmas & this is my first forum post) and I was wondering what the specific advantages to rooting my device are. I came from the iOS world, where I was using a 3GS that was jailbroken and very very customized (iOS was useless out of the box), so I am aware of custom modifications and such. However, most of the types of customizations I had on the iPhone seem to be available without rooting from the android market (e.g. themes, custom launchers, widgets, access to deeper settings and file systems, etc.). I know that rooting gives you the ability to flash custom ROM's and get special privileges such as clocking the CPU and accessing system files and such, but I still have a few questions.

I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy. I know my way around more things than your average joe (for instance, I created my own app icons for my iPhone and I've already sideloaded a modified Swype beta from the internet onto my Gnex) and I'm willing to learn some new things if it means having a product that I enjoy. I'm not too intimidated by a large file system to dig through to insert files, but I don't know how to code whatsoever.

1. How simple is the rooting process for a Gnex? I know that Google makes it pretty simple, but I'm used to the made-for-an-idiot jailbreak tools of the iPhone world. Is it much to learn? Is it simple to root your phone or flash a custom ROM an then get rid of it if you don't like it or is it hard to do?
2. Is it worth it? Are the privileges gained from rooting worth the trouble and possible downsides? Do the apps and stuff really make it worth it for a person who just likes to see the end product and not so much the coding that goes into it? How much of the pleasures of rooting would be available to someone with my abilities?Are there any specific features of other custom ROM's (specifically 4.0.3) that could lure me away from the (relative) polish of ICS?
3. Are there any dangers to rooting? I eventually bricked my old iPhone from doing too much to it, and getting everything back in order was a real hassle. Is bricking a real danger with rooting? If so, do Google's sync services make getting everything back on the phone easy? Are there other possible disadvantages (battery drain, warranty voiding, loss of some apps (like on iPhone), condemnation to the depths of Hell, etc.) that I should know about before diving in?

I want to have the best experience possible with my phone, but I want to know what I'm getting into before bad stuff starts happening. I was thinking of doing some extensive research on the process like I did with my iPhone, but I figured I would make use of the helpful community sitting right in front of me. Advice from accomplished super-hackers out there is fine, but I would appreciate some input from Android/root noobs like me to help me make my decision (yes, that means you, passive forum-goer). Also, any general tips about the Android experience that the average noob doesn't know about are much appreciated. Thanks!

Se7enth Sinn

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
For the Nexus people are rooting them for the ROMs but the only reason why I root is for the wireless tethering.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

trunks527

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty new to the Android world (got my Gnex just before Christmas & this is my first forum post) and I was wondering what the specific advantages to rooting my device are. I came from the iOS world, where I was using a 3GS that was jailbroken and very very customized (iOS was useless out of the box), so I am aware of custom modifications and such. However, most of the types of customizations I had on the iPhone seem to be available without rooting from the android market (e.g. themes, custom launchers, widgets, access to deeper settings and file systems, etc.). I know that rooting gives you the ability to flash custom ROM's and get special privileges such as clocking the CPU and accessing system files and such, but I still have a few questions.

I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy. I know my way around more things than your average joe (for instance, I created my own app icons for my iPhone and I've already sideloaded a modified Swype beta from the internet onto my Gnex) and I'm willing to learn some new things if it means having a product that I enjoy. I'm not too intimidated by a large file system to dig through to insert files, but I don't know how to code whatsoever.

1. How simple is the rooting process for a Gnex? I know that Google makes it pretty simple, but I'm used to the made-for-an-idiot jailbreak tools of the iPhone world. Is it much to learn? Is it simple to root your phone or flash a custom ROM an then get rid of it if you don't like it or is it hard to do?
2. Is it worth it? Are the privileges gained from rooting worth the trouble and possible downsides? Do the apps and stuff really make it worth it for a person who just likes to see the end product and not so much the coding that goes into it? How much of the pleasures of rooting would be available to someone with my abilities?Are there any specific features of other custom ROM's (specifically 4.0.3) that could lure me away from the (relative) polish of ICS?
3. Are there any dangers to rooting? I eventually bricked my old iPhone from doing too much to it, and getting everything back in order was a real hassle. Is bricking a real danger with rooting? If so, do Google's sync services make getting everything back on the phone easy? Are there other possible disadvantages (battery drain, warranty voiding, loss of some apps (like on iPhone), condemnation to the depths of Hell, etc.) that I should know about before diving in?

I want to have the best experience possible with my phone, but I want to know what I'm getting into before bad stuff starts happening. I was thinking of doing some extensive research on the process like I did with my iPhone, but I figured I would make use of the helpful community sitting right in front of me. Advice from accomplished super-hackers out there is fine, but I would appreciate some input from Android/root noobs like me to help me make my decision (yes, that means you, passive forum-goer). Also, any general tips about the Android experience that the average noob doesn't know about are much appreciated. Thanks!

Rooting on the nexus is very easy since its a developer phone. Recently a one click was released for the nexus which makes rooting even easier. Personally I haven't rooted mine. I had a Droid incredible that I rooted and flashed custom roms. As far as concerns you can soft brick your phone but that can be easily fixed. I advise you to look into the rooting section. Hope this little bit of info helps

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
1 it's fairly easy. Don't just read the directions learn why you are doing each step

2 ad blockers, wireless tethering, custom roms, etc etc. worth it if you are a techie person

3 it's tough to hard brick the phone now but there is always a chance something bad can happen.

Sent from iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

gonzlobo

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
hard to brick this phone as far as I've experienced. My old phone - dIncredible - was susceptible to bricking if a mistake was made during radio flashing.

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Like Nike says: Just Do It....lol

If you want to run a custom ROM, you have to.

Honestly, this phone is so awesome in stock I think its a 50/50 deal. So far the ROMs on the Nexus are very basic. But this phone is so developer friendly I have a feeling there are some pretty awesome ROMs coming on the horizon.

Do yourself a favor and read, read, read before you unlock the bootloader and root. Rooting on this phone was VERY simple. You really can't screw it up. But unlocking the bootloader was NOT easy. I am very adventurous and have modded ALL of my phones. But the unlocking procedure on this phone is quite involved. So take your time and read lots of different forums. Go on Youtube and find a couple videos about how its done step by step. Watch them all and then do it when you have your mind wrapped around it. But there will still be some little glitches along the way. Don't sweat it. This phone is not going to get bricked to the point you can't fix it with a little research.

Go for it.

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Novice Rooting Question....help

I'm thinking about rooting my galaxy nexus but i have no idea how to do it or what the benefits would be, Would it be easy and worthwile for someone who knows nothing about developing programs etc.?? I hear nothing but good things but i'm scared to do it for fear that i'd mess everything up. please post tips, pros/cons, and how to do it. including how to backup everything on my phone.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Re: Novice Rooting Question....help

If you look around the forums you will find plenty of threads talking about rooting and what benefits there are being rooted. We have a few how to guides in the hacks forum and some very helpful members that will help out if you have any questions.
I remember my first Android phone the OG Droid and being a little scared about rooting but I'm very glad I did root. After a few years I have learned a bunch of things that have made my Android experience much more enjoyable and I would recommend to everyone.

StuckwVerizon

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Novice Rooting Question....help

I have rooted my GN couple of weeks ago. This was my first time rooting Android phone, well GN was my first Android phone anyway. I was little scared but I used the guide from here, and it was so easy. make sure you have all the drivers. And I am so glad I rooted. Now I back up all my roms, and I've been playing with different roms all the time. Right now, i am sticking with Codename 1.2.0. And I have market unrestrictor, which it enable me to get Korean apps, it's just so much fun.

ecac

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: New to this ...need help

another newbie type question is where does one go for "rooted" apps? Are they all just in the Market or is it something you need to search and find on the net?

Thanks.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: New to this ...need help

another newbie type question is where does one go for "rooted" apps? Are they all just in the Market or is it something you need to search and find on the net?

Thanks.

The main ones are in the market. They'll say root is req'd. Sometimes youl can dl them from a dev at a forum and then load it thru a file manager or something, tho.

ScooberJake

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
The advantages to root are listed on multiple threads in this forum. Do some searching. This is my second android phone, my first time to root. Someone above mentioned that unlocking the bootloader was hard. I disagree, it was pretty easy. If you can follow instructions you can do it. The only difficult part is the getting the drivers to work with your PC. The way most people do it you load the drivers, and things seem to be working fine when you start the unlock process, then you get a problem. You have to point your computer to the drivers again and then it works.

One reason to root that I haven't seen mentioned much is the additional control available in Tasker (through Secure Settings and accompanying Helper).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38