Root help!

Russell01

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have unlocked my galaxy Nexus (Verizon) and unlocked it. I have updated to the 4.0.4 version using the AOKP.
However, I don't see all the stuff I thought I was supposed to see.
I downloaded ROM manager,it said no root permission. Superuser is installed also but no help there. Root checker states phone is not rooted! I tried to Root again but when flashing it said waiting on device. I am new at this, can anyone please help me? Thanks

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
By the way, phone says it is unlocked but I can't flash cwm

You'll probably need to flash CWM in fastboot since you don't have root access then. Check the guides you used when you first unlocked, they should have had you flash CWM. Just skip the unlocking part and do that, then in CWM flash the file I linked earlier to root 4.0.4.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: zero neck

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way that I can start over with the stock 4.0.2 and root again?

You have no reason to.. And if you were, you'd have to flash the stock image via fastboot.. In which case you might as well just flash recovery and do as I suggested already, lol.

Don't overthink anything, it's not complicated. Just boot into the bootloader, fastboot recovery, then flash that su package I linked.

Russell01

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I would appreciate it. I can get into fastboot mode on the phone. But after I flashed cwm, it won't reboot to my list of options, just dead robot. I haven't tried flashing the file someone suggested in an earlier post yet.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I would appreciate it. I can get into fastboot mode on the phone. But after I flashed cwm, it won't reboot to my list of options, just dead robot. I haven't tried flashing the file someone suggested in an earlier post yet.

When you are in fastboot mode (bootloader) on the phone, plug into computer. Open your command prompt IN the folder which contains BOTH your adb and fastboot files, as well as this recovery image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.2-toro.img
Make sure you open the command prompt IN that folder (hold shift, right click inside the folder, select Open command window here).

In the prompt type:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.2-toro.img

When its complete (should be very quick).. hit volume down until you see Recovery on top, then hit power. You should boot into CWR and be able to go from there. Obviously before you start just make sure you load the su404.zip on to your sd card so you can flash it first thing.

Russell01

May 28, 2012
Visit site
OK, if I can get this thing rooted again.... should i reinstall the AOKP milestone 5 again?
Also will I be able to keep the root?
This is what happened the first time, after I flashed the AOKP I lost root and couldnt get back into cwm.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
OK, if I can get this thing rooted again.... should i reinstall the AOKP milestone 5 again?
Also will I be able to keep the root?
This is what happened the first time, after I flashed the AOKP I lost root and couldnt get back into cwm.

As long as your unlocked and can follow the instructions I gave before to get into CWR.. you really don't even need to root if flashing a ROM is your next step, as they all come pre-rooted (if you didn't have root after flashing AOKP before you did something very wrong and unusual, lol).

You can feel comfortable flashing AOKP b37... don't feel like you need to stick to the milestones. The non-milestones are generally very stable, but occasionally one of the newer features may not work perfectly... but in any case everything works just fine in b37.

Download the ROM and the gapps file, put them on your sd card. Use my instructions from earlier to boot into CWR.

In CWR:
1. Wipe data/factory reset
2. Under Mounts & Storage, format /system
3. Install zip from sd card: First the ROM, then the gapps.
4. Reboot.
6. Profit.

As usual let us know if you have any questions... and just pay attention to what you're doing and read carefully... and of course, DON'T PANIC :)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Why not just use waugs tool box. That has every thing he needs. And is why simpler

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Why not just use waugs tool box. That has every thing he needs. And is why simpler

Because 1. I've never used it and 2. I rather encourage people to do the steps and see what they're doing to their phones. They learn more and get more confidence than if they just click ROOT ME or UNLOCK ME or something, lol.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
That's is true but if seems to b kicking azz there are resources available to ease the pain.

Agree with ya there, which is the beauty of it--if all else feels, plug and play ;).

Reactions: moosc

sugedadd

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I was redirected to this thread and it has helped for a minute. I tried to flash the img file and all I got was fastboot was not operable or something, maybe i was supposed to type it differently from what 2defmouze wrote.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch