Lost Root and Everyone is Confusing Me

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying that I am a noob and had and still have absolutely no idea what I was doing when I rooted my phone a few months back. Now I updated to the stock 4.0.4 and my root is all screwed up.

I searched about 20-30 forums to find how to fix my problem, and everyone is saying different things and I think none of them have worked for me so far.

I have a Verizon GNex and a Mac, so none of the windows-based toolkits work for me.

So my Flash ClockworkMod Recovery doesn't work on ROM Manager, showing the "an error has occurred blah privilege blah" prompt. I have downloaded the new su.zip file everyone said to download but have no idea what to do with it. I put it on my sd card, but it's just sitting there when I go into Astro File Manager. I've seen a lot of places showing how to install it using Wug's Toolkit, but since I have a Mac I can't use that.

When I try to access Recovery Mode using bootloader, I get the android thingy with the red triangle. I tried downloading ClockworkMod through my computer and installing it to my GNex using terminal, but I keep getting an error when it installs.

I've read that you have to copy the su.zip file to "the root" in your GNex? Wtf does that even mean? I thought "root" was a verb in programming jargon? Now it's a noun too?

I know I am a noob, I just want to fix this problem. I learned my lesson about updating without protecting my root. I'm going to install a custom ROM and Kernel anyways.

Thanks in advanced.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried pushing the factory files for 4.0.2? Then reroot, dl rootkeeper from market and update to 4.0.4?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried pushing the factory files for 4.0.2? Then reroot, dl rootkeeper from market and update to 4.0.4?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No, what is pushing factory files and how would I do this? I have tried to restore and go back to 4.0.2 on Clockwork, but it doesn't allow me to.

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue as well and am not sure what to do about it either. What is this su.zip file you redownloaded?

You can find a link on a lot of forums, such as this one:

Updating 4.0.4 while keeping root

scroll down a few posts and you should find some people talking about the su.zip file for 4.0.4 ROM's. Apparently the SuperUser that was compatible with 4.0.2 is not compatible wit the new stock update, but SuperUser has not come out with an update on the Play market if I'm not mistaken.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
you need this version of superuser with 4.04:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25213603/su-latest-404.zip

put that file on your sd card where you will find it again.

You need to download and put the recovery.img (latest version of clockwork in .img form) in the same folder as fastboot.exe on your cpu.

say that folder containing fastboot is named "adb-fastboot" and it's located on "desktop".

open terminal. type:
cd desktop
cd adb-fastboot

make sure that usb debugging is checked on your phone, put the phone into bootloader mode while connected via usb, and enter these commands in terminal:
./fastboot boot recovery nameoftherecoveryfile.img

that should boot recovery. if it doesnt, try it like this:

~/desktop/adb-fastboot/ fastboot boot recovery nameofthatfile.img

then you will have recovery temp booting on your phone, go to install zip from sd, find the latest su you downloaded and placed there, and install.

Reactions: dmmarck

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
My terminal says cannot load recovery. I have so many fastboot files I stuck them all into one folder. First I put just fastboot.exe and my 5.5.0.4 Clockwork .img file into one new folder, it didn't work. Then I started mixing and matching fastboot files I had and it didn't work.

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
You lost the root when you update from ota you lose root. I recommend to find out how to root you phone with your update and re-root

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Is your bootloader still unlocked? If so, I'd go into the terminal on your Mac and use galaxy nexus root (Max's) "How to Root" zip file and start all over. I'd honestly lock, then unlock the bootloader again, and reflash the .img. At that point your whole SD is wiped and you'll have to reinstall the CWM SU access by installing the zip on your SD and flashing in recovery.

aka, re-rooting from the get-go.

Here's the link that I used without any issues:

How to Root Galaxy Nexus! [Universal Guide][GSM/Verizon/Sprint][Windows/Linux/Mac] | GalaxyNexusRoot.com

Now, let's see if I can get a new ROM on there without F'ing up ;-).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You need to flash/fastboot CWM or a custom recovery then use that to flash the new superuser zip that has been disseminated in other similar threads.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Bootloader is still unlocked. I don't want to do the re-root thing, but I don't know what else to do. How would I lock it again?

I've tried to flash the clockwork .img file like everyone says, and it's not working. I tried it like 10 times in 3 or 4 different ways. I've quadruple checked that my files are in the right spot and my commands are typed correctly with caps-sensitivity. Terminal keeps showing different kinds of errors. So frustrating.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Bootloader is still unlocked. I don't want to do the re-root thing, but I don't know what else to do. How would I lock it again?

I've tried to flash the clockwork .img file like everyone says, and it's not working. I tried it like 10 times in 3 or 4 different ways. I've quadruple checked that my files are in the right spot and my commands are typed correctly with caps-sensitivity. Terminal keeps showing different kinds of errors. So frustrating.

Are you using a windows computer? Are your drivers setup?

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
If you continue having issues, I'd try downloading the file in this link. Leave the file in your downloads folder, which is what I did.

http://galaxynexusroot.com/galaxy-n...iversal-guidegsmverizonsprintwindowslinuxmac/

Then, with USB debugging on and your phone plugged in, open the terminal and type "cd Downloads" and then "cd GalaxyNexusRootNew" and then "./fastboot-mac oem lock" commands. Then, easily, just retype the last command but with unlock as, "./fastboot-mac oem unlock". Of course, follow the commands on your phone's screen to unlock the bootloader again. That should re-lock and unlock your bootloader, thus clearing your SD card.

Once that's done, just go back into the terminal where you left off and type:

./fastboot-mac flash recovery optimus_prime-touch-v5.5.0.4-6-toro-VERIZON.img

Make sure it takes and says "okay." Pull that battery, let it reboot, and then install the CWM file he provides right on your SD card (I used the Android File Transfer window and dropped/dragged it.) Then, just shut down and go into recovery, and install the zip from your SD card.

If it bootloops upon rebooting, just try reflashing the .img again...or at worst case, locking/relocking and flashing the .img. I had to do it once or twice to finally take.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I've read plenty of threads where people have lost root after taking the OTA update, but this is the first one where the recommendation is to lock and unlock the bootloader.

Why would that be necessary to regain root?

7stringer

I have The Rickets
Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
It's probably not absolutely necessary, but locking and unlocking again clears the SD card, and subsequently any weirdness that may have trickled in there.

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Alright I'll try what you said 7stringer. I don't have any important things anyways. I have a Mac computer dmmarck, so things like Wug's toolkit doesn't work for me, which would help me out.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Alright I'll try what you said 7stringer. I don't have any important things anyways. I have a Mac computer dmmarck, so things like Wug's toolkit doesn't work for me, which would help me out.

But you can use fastboot on a Mac. Do you have that super boot folder for unlocking? Just put the file in that directory and go to it.

Locking is not necessary unless you really, really want to take it back to stock.

dfl13

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry dmmarck, I probably have that folder, but you're talking to an extreme novice. I re-unlocked, and now when I get into recovery mode I get E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command

and a bunch of other can't mount errors.

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
TC Try this before you lock and unlock

I was in the same position as you and this is exactly what I did and it worked. I will try to make it easy for you but if it seems confusing just post a reply with questions.

First download this file on your phone:

http://db.tt/LTOeH5wU

This is the latest version of superboot. It is a .zip file and it stays like that.

Next, from your mac download this file:

http://db.tt/KM7z3MTw

That is my folder for adb-fastboot. The reason I am giving you mine is because you said that you made edits in yours and it was all a mess. Put that folder onto your desktop and unzip it (or extract it) but just make sure it is on the desktop of your mac. It already has the newest version of Clock Work Mod Recovery in there.

(I took this part from another thread but slightly edited it)
now here's what you'll do:

Make sure you have USB debugging enabled and plug the phone into the mac via USB.

put the phone in bootloader mode. (power off phone, and power back on while holding Vol up, Vol down, and Power all held together).

open the terminal window and type

cd desktop
(hit enter)
cd adb-fastboot
(hit enter)

then, enter the following commands:

~/desktop/adb-fastboot/fastboot boot recovery.img
(hit enter)

this will temporarily boot clockwork on your phone.

when it loads up on your phone, navigate with volume keys and select with power key.

navigate to install zip from sd card.

choose zip from sd card.
(if you downloaded the link from your phone the file will be in the Downloads folder)

find the su-latest-404.zip and select.

after that installs, select go back and then select reboot system now.

when you boot back up, you should have super user in your app drawer. that means you have root.

at that point, download rom manager and flash recovery for permanent recovery mode.

Keep in mind that after you select to reboot in Clock Work Mod Recovery it will sit on the Google startup screen for a while. For me I waited 20 minutes and it still didn't load so I did a battery pull and restarted and everything worked perfectly. Just be patient while it loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress