So Who Should Be Blamed for "Delays?" Not Verizon, IMHO

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That never stopped them before( bionic, thunderbolt, etc) all had a ton of issues.

Did it ever occur to you that quite possibly Google is demanding more from VZW on the phone? That is possibility and considering nobody really knows why they haven't released the phone on the rumored dates, it is possible.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is because of a software bug. It would have to be a pretty major one to hold up the release of the phone... and if they had a major bug would they have activated phones at the stores that customers can play with? It has to be corporate politics and $$$.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Faulty premise. You ignore the fact that the Galaxy Nexus has already been released in other countries.

This is Verizon's bad dealing. If there is a operational problem, it's most likely due to an incompatibility with some bloatware they want to include. That would be the most plausible explanation, considering the all the facts of this situation.

It is not a faulty premise. Whatever issues exist with dealing with Verizon's network and the CMDA universe vs. the HSPA universe should have been worked out before the announcement. If all of these big corporations had done that, then we wouldn't be here, anxiously waiting on what most of us agree to be a delay in the release.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Did it ever occur to you that quite possibly Google is demanding more from VZW on the phone? That is possibility and considering nobody really knows why they haven't released the phone on the rumored dates, it is possible.

I would argue that Verizon is demanding more from Google on the GNex. My whole point, though, would be that whatever issues existed between all the parties should have been worked out prior to the announcement, including testing. Apple gets this right. Google apparently did not; and I am not exonerating Verizon from any fault, just hypothesizing that more of the issue probably lies in how/when Google made their announcement.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would argue that Verizon is demanding more from Google on the GNex. My whole point, though, would be that whatever issues existed between all the parties should have been worked out prior to the announcement, including testing. Apple gets this right. Google apparently did not; and I am not exonerating Verizon from any fault, just hypothesizing that more of the issue probably lies in how/when Google made their announcement.

Given the lack of information from Google, VZW, and Samsung, all we can do is hypothesize what is preventing the phone from being released.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I want MY device; not Google's, not Samsung's, and not Verizon's.

Therein lies the problem. I was in the same position until the last "delay," when I had to come to grips with the fact that I, as a consumer, am not entitled to a damn thing. It is NOT my device (or yours), it is NOT something to which I am entitled to demand or expect from anyone. Just like Apple's approach with their devices, this is Google's device OS and Samsung's device hardware and Verizon's device network. I am simply a potential buyer of that device. I don't get to demand anything. If I don't like what is being offered, I can buy something else. But to read thread after thread after thread that seems to hold only one party of three (thanks for that note, Premium1) responsible is, in my opinion, an incorrect perspective.

I'm just as anxious as the next person for this phone. This is the first phone I have ever actually sought out for a purchase. It is the first phone that excites me with the potential for enjoyment of ownership. But it really isn't up to me to demand anything. But, like everyone else, I am absolutely disappointed in what I would have preferred to have been the ideal experience thus far. But I think the blame of what I/we feel is a failed experience thus far falls on far more than just Verizon. (For the record, I am one of those who post a "release the Nexus" comment on Verizon's Facebook page with nearly every one of their asinine posts of other garbage they continue to hype.)

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is because of a software bug. It would have to be a pretty major one to hold up the release of the phone... and if they had a major bug would they have activated phones at the stores that customers can play with? It has to be corporate politics and $$$.

I have yet to see an activated GN floor unit w/ the uppdate that they pushed out to the testing units. I tend to lean towards the ball being in Googles mitts at the moment. I say that cuz Big Red was happy w/ the LTE issue being stable several days ago. They've been pushing out the Bionic fix w/out any issuees at all. Yet they have not pushed the expected update out to a single store activated GN that got shipped out to serve as the retail stores, demo units. I think that people are putting to much emphasis on Big Red right now. What I'd love to hear right now is an interview on the GN status from someone @ Team Google. Duarte has been awful silent since that last interview he gave. He seemed wto put the issue on Big Red but he hasn't made a peep since then. Whereas VzW made it rather clear that they were ready to launch last week. So who knows what the heck is going on, but who should care at this point. It'll be here soon and everyone will forget all about all this speculative trash soon enough.

Tee312

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to see an activated GN floor unit w/ the uppdate that they pushed out to the testing units. I tend to lean towards the ball being in Googles mitts at the moment. I say that cuz Big Red was happy w/ the LTE issue being stable several days ago. They've been pushing out the Bionic fix w/out any issuees at all. Yet they have not pushed the expected update out to a single store activated GN that got shipped out to serve as the retail stores, demo units. I think that people are putting to much emphasis on Big Red right now. What I'd love to hear right now is an interview on the GN status from someone @ Team Google. Duarte has been awful silent since that last interview he gave. He seemed wto put the issue on Big Red but he hasn't made a peep since then. Whereas VzW made it rather clear that they were ready to launch last week. So who knows what the heck is going on, but who should care at this point. It'll be here soon and everyone will forget all about all this speculative trash soon enough.

Too me that's the sad part. All this speculation, rumored release dates, conspiracy theories, and risking people's jobs to get one early when in most likely less than a week it'll be officially launched and in this will all be forgotten and rarely ever mentioned, we'll go back to be happy, paying our VZW bill, and anticipating the next insanely hyped phone and repeat this whole process.

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

For the most part, I agree but Apple went to market w/ their supply when they launched. They were still filling backorders in very late Nov. so it wasn't all good. This fact may even be a reason Big Reds upcoming releases got a bit skewed from the original roadmap. Doubtful but plausible?

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Too me that's the sad part. All this speculation, rumored release dates, conspiracy theories, and risking people's jobs to get one early when in most likely less than a week it'll be officially launched and in this will all be forgotten and rarely ever mentioned, we'll go back to be happy, paying our VZW bill, and anticipating the next insanely hyped phone and repeat this whole process.

For awhile, maybe, this scenario will definitely play itself out in the forums again. The second someone feels peeved w/ Big Red during the next "big release" cycle. We all get to suffer post traumatic stressed out complaining disorder. Which allows us to relive the Omnia II, Bolt, Bionic and the latest and greatest, Galaxy Nexus.

Tee312

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
For awhile, maybe, this scenario will definitely play itself out in the forums again. The second someone feels peeved w/ Big Red during the next "big release" cycle. We all get to suffer post traumatic stressed out complaining disorder. Which allows us to relive the Omnia II, Bolt, Bionic and the latest and greatest, Galaxy Nexus.

The Thunderbolt has been mentioned in passing during the Nexus dicussions, but the scenario itself is never really mentioned. I had to look up what happened yesterday, since I wasn't here for it =P

Surprisingly, the Bionic is just a silent whisper, nobody even wants to mention that whole fiasco. LOL.

The screwed up release of the Nexus won't be forgotten, but nearly everyone will easily forgive once it's in our hands.

anon(525422)

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Wherever the blame may lie for the root cause of the delays, Verizon's definitely guilty of one thing: deliberate lack of communication.

Are they obligated to explain why there's a delay or to offer an apology? Nope, especially not since they never committed to a specific date.

But in the current age of social media and direct one-on-one communication with your customer base, deliberately keeping schtum when you know you have people crying out for this phone -- to the point that they're drowning your FB wall with requests for updates for 2 months -- is just poor, poor customer service and reflects really poorly on VZW's corporate attitude.

At the very least a noncommittal, "Hey guys, we know you're all waiting for this phone but some kinks are being worked out and we can't give a definite launch date yet, thanks for your patience," would've made them seem human. Like they have some semblance of give-a-s__t about their customers. Deliberately avoiding any kind of communication instead just reinforces the "evil empire" corporate image.

But hey, in the end it's up to them how they want to handle their launch. But IMO they've mishandled the one aspect they definitely had control over: talking to their customers.

Tee312

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Wherever the blame may lie for the root cause of the delays, Verizon's definitely guilty of one thing: deliberate lack of communication.

Are they obligated to explain why there's a delay or to offer an apology? Nope, especially not since they never committed to a specific date.

But in the current age of social media and direct one-on-one communication with your customer base, deliberately keeping schtum when you know you have people crying out for this phone -- to the point that they're drowning your FB wall with requests for updates for 2 months -- is just poor, poor customer service and reflects really poorly on VZW's corporate attitude.

At the very least a noncommittal, "Hey guys, we know you're all waiting for this phone but some kinks are being worked out and we can't give a definite launch date yet, thanks for your patience," would've made them seem human. Like they have some semblance of give-a-s__t about their customers. Deliberately avoiding any kind of communication instead just reinforces the "evil empire" corporate image.

But hey, in the end it's up to them how they want to handle their launch. But IMO they've mishandled the one aspect they definitely had control over: talking to their customers.

While I don't believe Verizon is to blame as much as people want to blame them (it's always the carriers fault /s), I strongly agree with this. They definitely could have communicated with us in some way; press release, twitter, facebook, anything would have sufficed. I think that's what makes us want to blame Verizon, because they're not giving answers, so it must be their fault. In a way I understand keeping silent, but they should have told us SOMETHING.

Oh well, I think the end is near now. Should be an exciting week ;)

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
While I don't believe Verizon is to blame as much as people want to blame them (it's always the carriers fault /s), I strongly agree with this. They definitely could have communicated with us in some way; press release, twitter, facebook, anything would have sufficed. I think that's what makes us want to blame Verizon, because they're not giving answers, so it must be their fault. In a way I understand keeping silent, but they should have told us SOMETHING.

Oh well, I think the end is near now. Should be an exciting week ;)

From day one it's been clear that Verizon is interested in selling other devices. It's not in Verizon's best interest to acknowledge the phone. That's why they announced it with an end of day press release on a Friday.

Verizon's silence is a marketing strategy.

DrPancake

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

"I believe the silent treatment (feigned apathy; cold-shoulder; silence; distance, and ignoring you) is the worst form of emotional abuse. It is a punishment used by abusers to make you feel unimportant, not valued, not cared about and completely absent from the abuser's thoughts."
The Silent Treatment - A severe form of abuse

---I dont think verizon is abusing us that was just a quote i read dont over-react to that!!!----

lol not trying to blow anything up or anything or have that quote be taken seriously but the silent treatment is why this is so frustrating. its like you said "At the very least a noncommittal, "Hey guys, we know you're all waiting for this phone but some kinks are being worked out and we can't give a definite launch date yet, thanks for your patience," would have relieved much of the anxiety about the release date.

us tech nerds are like little kids waiting for Christmas to find out that it has been delayed indefinitely lol.

i've kind of lost my hype for getting it right away and checking rumors constantly, just going to wait to hear anything. personally i just find the way Verizon is handling this annoying

Tee312

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
From day one it's been clear that Verizon is interested in selling other devices. It's not in Verizon's best interest to acknowledge the phone. That's why they announced it with an end of day press release on a Friday.

Verizon's silence is a marketing strategy.

I'd really love to know the evidence on how it's blindingly clear that Verizon would rather sell other devices. It's already public knowledge the initial delay was due to LTE not playing nice with the Nexus, and several software bugs. The brings us to pretty much late November/early December, in which they definitely targeted December 9th as the release date, which didn't happen for reasons still unknown.

They still announced a press release stating they'd be selling the phone by year's end. You honestly think Verizon wanted to sell the Rezound over the Nexus? The RAZR, yes, most likely.

Verizon's silence is saving face and not taking blame, it's not marketing strategy. Still a mistake on their part, but Verizon wants to sell this device, and soon, or else they wouldn't have it sitting in stockrooms across the country.

rayj2B

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
My worst fear is that there's a bug with ICS that only effects the Verizon version. I remember too that in Hong Kong they couldn't get the phone to unlock using face recognition so what else didn't work and we didn't get to see it. I believe it's googles firmware holding up the release. Too many problems makes me rethink getting this phone. I've had enough issues with the Motorola Droid for the past two years. The Nexus was my last try with Android system. I believe Apple does a better job with their releases as they must be doing a better job testing the devices before releasing it. Although there was that issue with the antenna which Apple tried to say there was no problem but issued FREE bumpers or cases to make the customer happy. I wonder if the same happens to the GN would Verizon or Samsung do the same for the customer.
Hope you all get the phone that you expect and it's free of any issues. I'd really would like to see this phone be all that it's suppose to be for the masses and is as popular as the Galaxy S II.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
My worst fear is that there's a bug with ICS that only effects the Verizon version. I remember too that in Hong Kong they couldn't get the phone to unlock using face recognition so what else didn't work and we didn't get to see it. I believe it's googles firmware holding up the release. Too many problems makes me rethink getting this phone. I've had enough issues with the Motorola Droid for the past two years. The Nexus was my last try with Android system. I believe Apple does a better job with their releases as they must be doing a better job testing the devices before releasing it. Although there was that issue with the antenna which Apple tried to say there was no problem but issued FREE bumpers or cases to make the customer happy. I wonder if the same happens to the GN would Verizon or Samsung do the same for the customer.
Hope you all get the phone that you expect and it's free of any issues. I'd really would like to see this phone be all that it's suppose to be for the masses and is as popular as the Galaxy S II.

Except those who have it or are testers said there were no issues...

rayj2B

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
No issues as of now or they aren't posting them. Would you say that you were having a problem with this phone after waiting all this time. Should have released in November like they said back in Hong Kong. This is probably to blame with Google pushing out ICS too soon. That's just my theory as we've heard them all. Right!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
No issues as of now or they aren't posting them. Would you say that you were having a problem with this phone after waiting all this time. Should have released in November like they said back in Hong Kong. This is probably to blame with Google pushing out ICS too soon. That's just my theory as we've heard them all. Right!

so no issues yet ics is not ready and you are saying it has issues? Testers who have had the device in hand say they are ready and no issues. I don't understand why people do not understand that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress