Anti-virus software and rooting question

mozy

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I rooted for 1st time and wondering if getting anti-virus software for my gn is a good idea and if so which one should I get?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use lookout ,been using it for 6 months.
I'm not sure how much its really needed for virus protection.
I like some of the other features like ,locate missing device,and the ability to remote wipe if ever need to.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I used to run Lookout but decided, what's the point. It's just another app dragging down resources and if you ever did get a virus, you could hard reset and be back up and running in 30 minutes or less.

albertsm

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I use Avast who recently purchased Theft Aware (which I used before). I think it's one of the best options for rooted phones. I mainly use it for its anti-theft features.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Is this a serious thread? anti virus on a linux based os? this is like buying car insurance for a space shuttle.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying no malware exists for Linux based OS and never will?

No, im saying for the minute chance that you happen to come across that .0001% that exists there wont be virus definitions to even find it.

Get real, the ONLY way you would be getting this malware is going through and downloading every fart app or newly submitted app on that market for SAG.

I hope you all take something away from this:

Google's Chris DiBona Lashes Out Against Mobile Antivirus Developers, Calls Them 'Charlatans And Scammers'

Reactions: moosc and mozy

mozy

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
No, im saying for the minute chance that you happen to come across that .0001% that exists there wont be virus definitions to even find it.

Get real, the ONLY way you would be getting this malware is going through and downloading every fart app or newly submitted app on that market for SAG.

I hope you all take something away from this:

Google's Chris DiBona Lashes Out Against Mobile Antivirus Developers, Calls Them 'Charlatans And Scammers'

Thanks that was really helpful. I liked the article. Another quick question - can malware get on your phone through surfing the internet like it can on PC? Not including downloading an app of course.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
The only way you're going to get a virus on Android is if you're doing things you know you shouldn't - downloading sketchy apps, opening up shady emails, etc. Have some common sense. AV apps are not worth it in the long run - consume too many system resources. If you have Verizon TEC, Asurion offers a free app that can locate/ring a lost phone.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks that was really helpful. I liked the article. Another quick question - can malware get on your phone through surfing the internet like it can on PC? Not including downloading an app of course.

No, Most of the malware that PC's get are target towards PC's and cant install on Linux. If you are really worried DONT download untrust worthy apps.... problem solved.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Google: 'Anti-virus' apps for infected Androids are from 'charlatans and scammers' | Mail Online

I don't see the harm in a trust worthy anti malware/virus like avg or Norton or something. Resources used are like .2% so virtually nothing.

I live by the moto plan for the worst hope for the best.

I've never have avg or Norton actually find anything and I'm fairly careful about the apps I download but I cant read code and the time it would take me to catch something happening would more then likely be too late...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa