Would you recommend the Nexus or a different Verizon phone?

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm switching to Verizon today kind of unexpectedly.

If you had to buy a Verizon android phone - which one would you get? I've heard about some issues with the Nexus but I don't know if the sound issue and signal issue are common or not as I haven't done much research on it.

Any input would be appreciated from someone who is on Verizon and actually using this phone or switched to another on Verizon

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If you are into rooting and running custom roms, and/or you want to have the latest version of android, then you want the nexus. If neither of those appeal to you then honestly you'd probably be happy with a razr. Moto's radios are better, Fwiw. But I love my nexus :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine for 2 months and I love it. I've not had any problems with signal (but I'm not in a 4G area) nor the volume (there's an app for that). The thing you've got to ask yourselft is whether you want this large of a phone because it's a little bigger than the iPhone (the prototype touchscreen Verizon phone). You've gotta ask yourself if 4G is important to you (it's not to me obviously). You've gotta charge it every night. This phone has a killer screen, and the new ICS operation system is great. Those are its strongest qualities. If you want a smaller phone the iPhone is excellent (my wife loves hers). There aren't many snazzy cases for this phone either.

boe

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks

I want a BIG ass screen :)
I want 4G when I tether - not often but I want it once every few months for about an three hours (airport)
I barely use data otherwise - I have used 200MB for the past 2 months on my old phone.
I do need clear voice and reliable call quality - I hated the HTC EVO 3D as it would drop calls frequently.

LBTRS

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I own both the GN and RAZR MAXX and as they sit right now the MAXX works much better than the GN stock. I would not get a GN until they release an OTA update that fixes the known issues with the GN.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have nothing to compare it to (well, that's current), but individual's users faults/experiences included, it's the top Android on Verizon IMHO. Best screen, best design (IMHO), best mix of inner hardware, and stock Android OS + 2 somewhat meaningless Verizon apps.

However, the RAZR series and Rezound are both nice phones and IMO there's not much distance between those and the GN.

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
If you are into rooting and running custom roms, and/or you want to have the latest version of android, then you want the nexus. If neither of those appeal to you then honestly you'd probably be happy with a razr. Moto's radios are better, Fwiw. But I love my nexus :)

Disagree. Had 4 Moto's in a row prior to the Nexus and the radios were garbage on every one. I got searching on several places where every other phone would have at least had basic coverage (3G).

Now with Nexus i am getting coverage at those places.

Rezound has better radio than Moto too, BTW.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Disagree. Had 4 Moto's in a row prior to the Nexus and the radios were garbage on every one. I got searching on several places where every other phone would have at least had basic coverage (3G).

I think its kinda harsh to say that X phones suck and Y phone is better.. Each model/maker works slightly different and in different areas/locations.

For example... I've been a long time VZW customer and had been using blackberrys for a long time (work issued phone). When I was on the BB 8xxx world edition phone.. I was getting excellent at my residence.. switched over the the curve, reception dropped significantly.. switched over to the previous Bold... service was somewhat better..

I'm currently using the Nexus. horrible reception where i live. I'm am in the 4G map (nyc) and i still do not have any 4G service, until i step outside of my apt... Meanwhile, my GF has the HTC thunderbolt, she has 4G coverage, where as i do not..

You have to test out the Nexus in your given area. Its tough to say the Nexus sucks/awesome based on other ppls opinions. One's bad opinion may not reflect of your given Nexus and your location.

Overall, I like the phone. Its fast and functions just the way i need it to be. Bad part, maybe its bc i was a blackberry user... Lack of real time pushed emails... Gmail sync works ok, but has a slight delay... Where as blackberry out performs Iphones/Androids....

i give it 8/10... maybe a 9/10 if they can figure out a battery life fix.. But highly improbable at this time....

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I think its kinda harsh to say that X phones suck and Y phone is better.. Each model/maker works slightly different and in different areas/locations.

For example... I've been a long time VZW customer and had been using blackberrys for a long time (work issued phone). When I was on the BB 8xxx world edition phone.. I was getting excellent at my residence.. switched over the the curve, reception dropped significantly.. switched over to the previous Bold... service was somewhat better..

I'm currently using the Nexus. horrible reception where i live. I'm am in the 4G map (nyc) and i still do not have any 4G service, until i step outside of my apt... Meanwhile, my GF has the HTC thunderbolt, she has 4G coverage, where as i do not..

You have to test out the Nexus in your given area. Its tough to say the Nexus sucks/awesome based on other ppls opinions. One's bad opinion may not reflect of your given Nexus and your location.

Overall, I like the phone. Its fast and functions just the way i need it to be. Bad part, maybe its bc i was a blackberry user... Lack of real time pushed emails... Gmail sync works ok, but has a slight delay... Where as blackberry out performs Iphones/Androids....

i give it 8/10... maybe a 9/10 if they can figure out a battery life fix.. But highly improbable at this time....

Regarding the sync delay, I've never experienced this. Do you mean when first syncing? I've literally watched conversations in Talk on my phone as I type on my computer. Kinda cool.

Reactions: MrVeda

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks

I want a BIG ass screen :)
I want 4G when I tether - not often but I want it once every few months for about an three hours (airport)
I barely use data otherwise - I have used 200MB for the past 2 months on my old phone.
I do need clear voice and reliable call quality - I hated the HTC EVO 3D as it would drop calls frequently.
Have you seen the Samsung Galaxy Note? That's bigass (but only ATT which is smallass)! I've heard it's like putting a ham sandwich up to your ear lol.
Be careful relying on anecdotal advice about dropped calls, signals, etc. Most of that is probably user related. A few GN people had to return there phones early and everything was OK, so there may have been a few bad apples, but that was unusual IMO. LTE is still a work in progress too.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

You may disagree from your experience, but its a very well known and agreed upon fact that moto tends to produce the best radios. Not trying to start a war over it, lol, but they do.

Of course, there will be someone in every thread who's had some terrible experience that goes against the norm and swears all other testimony is just baloney :)

Fwiw, I had the bionic for 3 months before I got the Nex and haven't noticed much difference. I think the Nex holds data signal better, but the bionic had clearer voice calls, even tho the Nex's are fine, IMO.

Reactions: jefmoody

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
You may disagree from your experience, but its a very well known and agreed upon fact that moto tends to produce the best radios. Not trying to start a war over it, lol, but they do.

Of course, there will be someone in every thread who's had some terrible experience that goes against the norm and swears all other testimony is just baloney :)

Maybe you can refer(link) me to these "facts" and "testimony".

I'm totally willing to read and or listen to them.

Every experience I've had has been contrary as are those of people I know. It wasn't just me. Unless you're referring to the radios they used to make pre-2000's, then I'd 100% agree with you, although I hardly see how that fact would be relevant in any way to this discussion. :D

EDIT: Speaking of which, did they even produce them back then? Or wasn't it Qualcomm?

Last edited:

jimmybigshot

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you can refer(link) me to these "facts" and "testimony".

I'm totally willing to read and or listen to them.

Every experience I've had has been contrary as are those of people I know. It wasn't just me. Unless you're referring to the radios they used to make pre-2000's, then I'd 100% agree with you, although I hardly see how that fact would be relevant in any way to this discussion. :D

I think if you use the search function, you will see plenty "facts" and "testimony" that you are willing to "listen" to. It's common knowledge the Nexus has signal issues. Yes I have had first hand experience with this phone.

Motorola has the best radios and the best reception. It's really not that big of a secret.

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I think if you use the search function, you will see plenty "facts" and "testimony" that you are willing to "listen" to. It's common FUD the Nexus has signal issues. Yes I have had first hand experience with this phone.

Motorola has the best radios and the best reception. It's really not that big of a secret.

Fixed that for you...

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

You may be correct to a point. But, there is one glaringly significant difference between the Nexus and almost all of the other phones out there. It has ICS.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It really just boils down to what you really want.

Galaxy Nexus is a pure vanilla form of Google Android 4.0. It is very well designed to be a Development phone. So there are options on the phone that you won't get with any other phone that gets updated to 4.0 ICS. I'm not sure if the Nexus S has the same Developer options. And what I mean is, things such as Show CPU usage, Show touches, show screen updates, pointer location, etc. I'm sure you can get those features with a rooted custom rom phone. But stock Galaxy Nexus already contains these options. So you don't have to fiddle around to enable it. On top of that, it has Super AMOLED HD (720p) display at a 720x1186 2.0 scalability. It has an HD front camera and full HD back camera. 5 MP back camera is pretty low quality, but zero shutter speed is amazing for those photos you need to get at the right moment.

Razr will probably not contain those exact features when it gets upgraded to 4.0. But for overall quality, the Razr Maxx is where it is at. If you're not looking to develop on android, then maybe the Razr is where you want to be at. The radio is amazing, and the call quality is quite nice. The Camera on the Razr Maxx can't be beat with 8 MP and the video recording is truly amazing. The battery life is going to be where the Maxx takes a clear victory over the Nexus. I've had almost 48 hours of no charge on the Maxx with normal usage. Albeit, Juice Defender helps out with that big time. I'm not a big fan of Motoblur, not going to lie, and there is a ton of bloatware to deal with on the Razr, but nothing that a simple root can take care of. I think ICS will work wonderful on it once released.

Between the two, I like the fact that the Nexus is pure vanilla, so I'll take that gladly over the Razr because I'm a developer and need some of those advanced features. Not only that, most applications will run more on the Nexus vs. the Razr because of the fact that it is a dev phone.

Hope this helps out with your decision making.

Thanks.

Reactions: jroc

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 of them in my family. One of my daughters will be eligible for an upgrade in May. It will be a Nexus. Maybe white.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the sync delay, I've never experienced this. Do you mean when first syncing? I've literally watched conversations in Talk on my phone as I type on my computer. Kinda cool.

I was refering to the sync icon in gmail.... while i am out of the application and someone would send me an email via gmail... it wouldnt be pushed to my phone in real time.. maybe a 1 to 2 min delay... which is no big deal... coming from the blackberry world... email exchange is slower... which is to be expected.