Nexus - Google Backdoor - Wirefly

HandyGeek

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung Stratosphere but prior suggestions that Android alternatives would support it seem to have disappeared.

Anyone aware of an Android alternative for the Stratosphere?

I'm looking at the Wirefly deal on a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Do any or all of the Android alternatives, MIUI, Cyanogenmod, etc. eliminate the Google backdoor into the Nexus, please?

Thanks!

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
bunny+%2B+pancake.jpg

in all seriousness, you are wording this very weird.
here is what i get from this.
you bought a stratosphere because there was word of cyanogenMod and Miui being ported to the phone.
this never happened.
so you want to get a Nexus so you can run them.
and you are wondering if CM and MIUI are available for this phone....correct?

if so, yes, CM and MIUI are available right now for the nexus. CM is nice, but miui is not a smooth as stock so IMO, still needs some work.

and using this 'backdoor" talk just confuses me. just use ROOT, ROM, FLASH ect.
you can ROOT and ROM your phone to FLASH CyanogenMod or MIUI to the Nexus

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

in all seriousness, you are wording this very weird.
here is what i get from this.
you bought a stratosphere because there was word of cyanogenMod and Miui being ported to the phone.
this never happened.
so you want to get a Nexus so you can run them.
and you are wondering if CM and MIUI are available for this phone....correct?

if so, yes, CM and MIUI are available right now for the nexus. CM is nice, but miui is not a smooth as stock so IMO, still needs some work.

and using this 'backdoor" talk just confuses me. just use ROOT, ROM, FLASH ect.
you can ROOT and ROM your phone to FLASH CyanogenMod or MIUI to the Nexus

Thank you for that translation, my mind was working pretty hard to figure out what he was trying to say.

HandyGeek

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, yes, it was late so I probably was less clear than intended.

You deciphered well, thanks!

The "backdoor" thing I thought was common knowledge, if not a common concern.

Google, via Android, has remote access to every Android user's phone. They claim it is only to fix OS or security flaws but given their history trusting them to respect user-privacy is zero.

Does replacing Google-Android with CM or MIUI or some other replacement OS remove Google's capacity to access a phone without the user's express case-by-case permission (if ever)?

Thanks!

HandyGeek

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It's hardly a conspiracy - since Google has proudly announced that they use their access to change things on phones without user knowledge.

Google has also proudly announced their goal to :know more about you than you do" and has been prosecuted in multiple nations for violation of privacy laws.

Can we please stay on topic - if you don't know then just say you don't know - the personal attacks have no value-added.

Do the alternative OS's allow Google access to phone, same as Android, or not, please?

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It is a conspiracy theory to believe that google would use the backdoor access for malicious intent. They did in fact use their access to remove the threat created by someone else. This is in fact part of the discussion...the person is worried about switching to the Nexus because of the Backdoor access that Google has, which is why he flashed a ROM on his/her other phone to remove that access.

I don't know concretely wether or not Google would have backdoor access with 3rd party ROMS, but honestly WHO CARES?! I would personally worry about which 3rd party ROMS that you flash because of this reason alone....

I think if your that worried about your information, just take advantage of the ENCRYPTION feature!

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The real question is, do you trust a third party ROM developer team more than Google? At least Google can be held publicly accountable for any potential nefarious actions or abuse they may partake in.

In any case, the source code for the official and CM branches are available for everyone to see. Otherwise I can't seem to find any information in regards to the removal of this "backdoor" in CM or MIUI.

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The real question is, do you trust a third party ROM developer team more than Google? At least Google can be held publicly accountable for any potential nefarious actions or abuse they may partake in.

In any case, the source code for the official and CM branches are available for everyone to see. Otherwise I can't seem to find any information in regards to the removal of this "backdoor" in CM or MIUI.

Couldn't agree more!

Not that ROM developers are out there to get you either, but I personally trust Google Inc. (GOOG) more!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Do you trust Apple more? They waited a while to fix a known exploit in their Java implementation. They are notoriously slow for fixing exploits.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I get what you are saying....and i would venture to guess that they will still have access no matter what ROM you are running since you have to sign with a google account to do pretty much anything.

sure google can see where you are, what you look at, and how you look at it...its all for marketing.
Just enjoy the phone, dont worry about this "backdoor" thing...it is used to help us...wether it be customizing our advertisements or removing malicious apps when we dont know we have them. they arent going to blatantly steal our identities, break into our homes, or read any and ever text message we have ever sent.