Charging for hotspots now even for root users?

todd112387

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm on month 6 of my gnex rooted and I use the foxfi app from the market for the past 4 months I used the wifi tether app and it was free until two months ago... then out of the blue a $30 hotspot fee was billed to me... I stopped using that app and switched to foxfi which claims to be free but just got hit with another $30 bill ... what's going on???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised as AT&T has been know to do something similar with jail broken iPhone users. At the end of the day, the carriers have the right to do this as you are circumventing the system to use a service that you would normally have to pay for free.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
How much data are you using? Ive had the Gnex since launch and I tether to my iPod,iPad and laptop but not excessively, I use probably around 500mb a month tethering, I've heard as long as you don't overly abuse it they won't charge you, but if you are using a lot of your monthly data tethering they will. Don't know how true it is but I haven't been charged since December (knock on wood)

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been billed either. Although I only use tethering once every few months and only a hundred or two mb. I've just used the widget on elixer2 to do it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2