Wireless tether problem?

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I am using the stock ROM/unrooted on the Verizon Galaxy Note 2 and I am more constantly dropping 4G signal when I am tethered. I use the phone in the same place (on my desk) every day. It used to happen once a day and now it is happening at least once an hour. I was thinking it could be the Verizon signal, but my Verizon Galaxy Nexus is having a perfect connection to 4G. Do you think it could be a radio or something internally wrong with the phone? It is in an Otterbox, so the malfunction is not due to negligent use. If it is the a defect in the phone, can I go to Verizon and have it replaced by the one year warranty without having it pay? The phone is starting **** me off because I keep having to do a battery pull several times per hour to get it to regain signal. To me, obviously this is a hardware malfunction, but I would like a general consensus before I take it to the awful retail Verizon store tomorrow.

HighOnHops

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen the issue that frequently, but do see signal drop, reconnect, drop, reconnect, etc. continuously after tethering for a while from time to time. If I tether for 8 hours, I see it maybe 2-3 times and it seems to get worse towards the end of the day. Only thing that I have found to fix this is a reboot.

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have tried rebooting and battery pulls but it doesn't help anymore. I am thinking I should try to get another one through warranty.

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It's a problem for everybody on jellybean. Are you on jellybean? When I had my stock s3 tethering was a major issue when I upgraded to jellybean tethering was pretty much broken. the only way I could get it to work was by using the fattin toggle widget and I had to always make sure the screen was always on and didn't timeout. It also seemsed to help to connect to my tablet first before connecting to my macboook. Even then it was inconsistent at best.

I am now on a note 2 rooted with cleanrom and I use the native tethering on the phone. It works better but will still lose connection after streaming for a few hours or so. I am on verizon unlimted data btw.

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I may have to root and see if flashing a ROM will help. I have stock JellyBean on my Galaxy Nexus and it can tether for 8 hours without screwing up. I kind of want to ditch this phone if it is common amongst all Samsung phones. Tether is one of the most important features for me.