Unable to make calls using Google Voice in China on Note 2

MadDog_

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I just returned from my first trip in China with my Note 2. While trying to make calls there with Google Voice (Verizon), I kept getting a message that the number I was calling was incorrect. As soon as I made the call without Google Voice, it went through immediately, at $2 a minute.

I called Verizon Roaming assistance while there and they were of no help.

Any idea on how to fix it so Google Voice works in China on Verizon? Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just returned from my first trip in China with my Note 2. While trying to make calls there with Google Voice (Verizon), I kept getting a message that the number I was calling was incorrect. As soon as I made the call without Google Voice, it went through immediately, at $2 a minute.

I called Verizon Roaming assistance while there and they were of no help.

Any idea on how to fix it so Google Voice works in China on Verizon? Thanks.

You need to use a third party app like Grooveip.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

MadDog_

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Any idea why Google Voice on the phone doesn't work? It works fine when I call using my computer.

I just looked up GrooveIP and it says you need to connect with Wifi or Mobile Data. Mobile data in China is something ridiculous, like $20/MB. No other alternatives?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Any idea why Google Voice on the phone doesn't work? It works fine when I call using my computer.

I just looked up GrooveIP and it says you need to connect with Wifi or Mobile Data. Mobile data in China is something ridiculous, like $20/MB. No other alternatives?

Every voip needs Internet, Wifi or mobile data. Google voice won't work directly through the phone, you need to use a third party client. That is just how Google did it.

I am not familiar with China, but you could just buy a local sim to make local calls and texts and data. Data using a local sim does require root to change the apn

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
When you have Google Voice installed on your phone and tell the phone to call using Google Voice, what the phone actually does is to first dial a Google Voice access number and then dial the number you want to call. When you're in China, the phone can't dial that access number, so the call can't be placed. Well, theoretically, the Google Voice app could be written to connect to the access number internationally by putting +1 in front of the number, but it doesn't do that now. Of course, if you really, really want to do it this way, you can manually dial your own Google Voice number from China, then select the menu option to dial out, then enter the number you want to call. It'll work, but you'll be paying international voice rates, since you're calling back to the United States over the voice network.

So, as of now, the only way to use Google Voice the way you're wanting is via a third party app like GrooVe IP or Talkatone, both of which require some kind of data connection. And you're right, mobile data will cost a lot, which is why you only want to do this on wi-fi. However, if you have a decent connection, it should work quite well.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non