How much is wif-fi hotspot on grandf unlim plan?

billsfan2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a Fascinate and upgraded to Galaxy S3 to keep my unlimited data plan. Obviously I have 3g mobile hotspot available on my current phone, which costs $20 the months I use it. I have not seen anyone mention what the 4g hotspot will cost using the Galaxy S3. There was no option even showing same when I pre-ordered. Does anyone know how much it's going to cost if you're grandfathered in with your regular unlimited data ($29.99)?

markhallyo

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a Fascinate and upgraded to Galaxy S3 to keep my unlimited data plan. Obviously I have 3g mobile hotspot available on my current phone, which costs $20 the months I use it. I have not seen anyone mention what the 4g hotspot will cost using the Galaxy S3. There was no option even showing same when I pre-ordered. Does anyone know how much it's going to cost if you're grandfathered in with your regular unlimited data ($29.99)?

I would assume its the same, but I've always just used it free because my phone's rooted. So I have no real idea, but I would imagine it would be the same price.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

The 4G hotspot for unlimited plan users is $30/month. I upgraded my unlimited 3G line to the SGS III and had the option to select the 4G hotspot for that price.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the Zoom 4506 wireless router that tethers your phone to the router and then you hotspot and with better range and signal strength. Plus it has a built in battery for total portability.

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
It's $30

There are rumors that VZW is catching onto those who root and tether for free but that has not happened to me thus far

I'd bet you are pretty safe as long you aren't racking up 10 GB a month. I like to have the ability to do it in a pinch, but rarely use it. I'd be very surprised if they called me out on it.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I was getting a little too much beyond 6 GB a month tethering so I went ahead and added tethering for thirty dollars a month for unlimited. Since I am using so much data, I just felt better adding it. Now I don't feel bad when I get ten GB a month.

billsfan2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
So they charge more for the 4G hotspot than 3G then? The 3G hotspot ($20 per month for 2 GB) was never part of my plan, it was just an option feature, like visual voice mail or other things that you could add on when/if you needed them, since it's never been part of my $29.99 unlimited data plan (for the phone). When upgrading to keep my unlimited data, I did not want to drop unlimited data to go for a tiered plan which included hotspot. I don't use much data, but then, my 3G phone has never really been that fast when using the Internet and streaming hasn't either (buffers). According to present Verizon site, I did find the following: "Extend the capability of your device—increase your data package with an additional 2 GB of data each month for an additional $20 per month, and enable: Mobile Hotspot–Using your smartphone, share your data allowance with multiple Wi-Fi–enabled devices. No additional drivers or software necessary." My question is will this still be available after they change on 6/28/12, even though my phone itself is grandfathered in? When I upgraded, there was no option to choose any wi-fi mobile hotspot feature.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
$20 a month(2gb p/month), when used on top of your unlimited data. Can be cancelled anytime. Canceling hotspot will not affect your plan.

I have asked this question to verizon reps a few times this week.

FreaknSweet

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The $30 unlimited hotspot was not an option for me online, so I preordered over the phone and she was able to add it that way.

So unlike the $20 3g hotspot which is limited to 2 gigs, this is only on 4g for people that have unlimited data.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The $30 unlimited hotspot was not an option for me online, so I preordered over the phone and she was able to add it that way.

So unlike the $20 3g hotspot which is limited to 2 gigs, this is only on 4g for people that have unlimited data.

Shows up for me online, though I had to have it pointed out to me by forum members here.

It also shows up in the "change features" section in the My Verizon app.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

FreaknSweet

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
That could be because you already have a 4G phone. My current phone is a droid x (3G) so the hotspot option in my change features is the $20 2gig one. It's possible I overlooked the option when trying to preorder online, in any way I ordered over the phone and it even took her a while to find that option.

Also, being that I still have a 3G phone I still have to wait to get the S3 before hotspot will be active on my account.

billsfan2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Thx all for your responses. I used my hot spot prior to ordering and at least it's on my bill for the month going fwd, so leaving it alone for a while. At least it'll give us internet while traveling and hoping to use adapter to hdmi or maybe Allshare? to see content on big screen using unlimited. Like many, may jump ship in 2 yrs if LTE is more widespread with other carriers and offers more data for less. What good is 4g speed for streaming if you can't afford the data. And we're not even heavy data users.

thekendog

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Its free if you root.

TemporalBeef

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Mobile hotspot on my 4g devices has been $30. I call verizon and activate it and drop it when I need it, and I only get charged a prorated amount when i use it (ie- if i use it for 2 days in a month, i'm only charged $2 and some change to use it).

Hotspot capabilities will be free when you use them on the share everything plan, you just dip into your bucket of data.