Does your S3 work with Verizon Network Extender?

Michael Daniele

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got my network extender yesterday. It works wonderfully. I could not complete a call at all 2 days ago. Made about 15 calls yesterday and not one problem whatsoever.

kdwurl

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Given this original post is more than 6 months old, I've determined that reference to the android app "Phone Info" is no longer accurate. Apparently someone has created the same named applicaiton and it does not provide the ability to switch a S3 to CDMA.

Does anyone know of other android software that might allow me to take the S3 and setup to only use CDMA (isn't that what the network extender is using?)

Thanks.

ss433

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Just a small comment on the NE and 4G phones. We recently switched hardware from old 3G to new 4G phones. Although #48 indicated that the new phones were on the NE, the signal strength bars were 1 bar, versus 4 with the old hardware. Puzzled. Finally discovered that our 4G phone, unlike the old 3G ones, uses the signal strength bars on the home page to display the 4G signal strength, NOT the 1X strength which is what carries the voice signal and is amplified by the NE. Buried way down in the pages (Settings/About phone/Status/Network Type) was a signal strength meter for the 1X signal separately, and it shows 4 bars. So the NE was working all along for the new phones, but that's not the strength displayed on the home page meter.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Old thread, but I've had the Network Extender for more than 2 years now, pretty familiar with it. Outside, my phone uses 4G. Inside my house it would use 3G since the 3G from the extender is much stronger than the 4G/LTE in the air *smile* (that's why I have the Network Extender in the first place, crappy cell and data signals). You don't have to switch your phone to 3G, it will just use it because it's stronger than 4G in your house due to using the Network Extender. Actually, I use WiFi in my house, so whether the phone uses 3G or 4G in my house is irrelevant, your phone will use WiFi if available. But I've noticed that when the WiFi is down and the router is still up, that my phone does use 3G. If the router is down (and hence the Network Extender is down), my phone uses 4G in the house. Weakly, but there's just barely enough 4G for it to use *smile*.

Sounds complicated...it would be better if the Network Extender had 4G/LTE, but it doesn't, so the picture is a little confusing. But it's just like being in an area that has 3G, but not 4G/LTE, your phone will just use 3G and be happy.

fordlove

May 21, 2012
Visit site
How did you get this to work? I have an existing Verizon Range Extender that I know works well with my other phone. I have a new S3, rooted the phone, and downloaded the "phone info" app. How do you switch this thing to cdma auto prl? I don't see an option in the phone info app anywhere.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
How do you switch this thing to cdma auto prl?
Try using Advanced Signal Status http://market.android.com/details?id=com.cc.signalinfo - when it's open, scroll to the bottom and select 'Additional Info', then select 'Device information', then scroll down to the drop-down list and select it, then choose whichever setting you prefer.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!Try using Advanced Signal Status http://market.android.com/details?id=com.cc.signalinfo - when it's open, scroll to the bottom and select 'Additional Info', then select 'Device information', then scroll down to the drop-down list and select it, then choose whichever setting you prefer.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

This looks a lot like the old "phone info" app...do you know if it works with Android 4.4.2?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This looks a lot like the old "phone info" app...do you know if it works with Android 4.4.2?
Sorry, don't know. No use for it on my Nexus 7 (2013 - Wi-Fi) and I haven't come across an update for the 4.3 firmware (minus Knox bootloader) that I'm using on my Verizon S3.

RedStickHam

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Just a small comment on the NE and 4G phones. We recently switched hardware from old 3G to new 4G phones. Although #48 indicated that the new phones were on the NE, the signal strength bars were 1 bar, versus 4 with the old hardware. Puzzled. Finally discovered that our 4G phone, unlike the old 3G ones, uses the signal strength bars on the home page to display the 4G signal strength, NOT the 1X strength which is what carries the voice signal and is amplified by the NE. Buried way down in the pages (Settings/About phone/Status/Network Type) was a signal strength meter for the 1X signal separately, and it shows 4 bars. So the NE was working all along for the new phones, but that's not the strength displayed on the home page meter.

I discovered that little oddity about the signal meter too. I use an app called SignalCheck which gives you graphs and the actual dBm ratings. In fact, it will put the ratings for both LTE and 1XRTT on the top left corner of the screen. It can also measure WiFi signal strength. When I'm on Network Extender coverage, it says so on the screen and there's a little symbol near the bar graph signal meter.

We got a network extender about a year ago because we were having trouble making calls in our house. I recently disconnected it and tried making calls and discovered the situation has improved, but there are still some areas of the house that get poor signal, a problem the extender helps alleviate. We only use it to make make and receive calls so how it handles data doesn't really matter since we use WiFi at home for that since we have a limited data plan and don't want to go into overage. I use WiFi wherever I can to save on data.

We were able to get a discount on our extender because we had signal strength issues both inside and outside at the time. After multiple calls and being elevated to high tech support, they agreed to sell us one at $100 off. However, they were out of stock on them so I was out of luck. I kept checking the web site and a month or two later, they were available again, so I called back and they sold me one at the promised discount. The lady who answered the phone told me when they get them in, the sell out pretty quick.

Our network extender works with our S3s, but the only thing that bothers me about it is any Verizon customer in the area can use it. ATT's version of this product can restrict users to only those the subscriber wants other than 911 calls. I can tell when it's routing a call by the way one of the lights blinks, and I only see it blink that way when one of us is on the phone, so there probably aren't any Verizon subscribers close to my home. ATT is the more popular carrier in my area.

Just my 2 cents.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Our network extender works with our S3s, but the only thing that bothers me about it is any Verizon customer in the area can use it. ATT's version of this product can restrict users to only those the subscriber wants other than 911 calls. I can tell when it's routing a call by the way one of the lights blinks, and I only see it blink that way when one of us is on the phone, so there probably aren't any Verizon subscribers close to my home. ATT is the more popular carrier in my area.

Just my 2 cents.

I wish that I had the 1X signal meter, it isn't there. SignalCheck sounds like a good possibility, considering it.

Yes, our neighbors said that they found that their cell phones only worked properly in one chair in their house, which just happens to be the one closest to our network extender. I guess that I don't mind helping out my neighbors *smile*, but what I do mind is that I'm paying for Verizon service, same as anyone who really gets Verizon service. But I had to pay an extra $250 to extend Verizon's infrastructure so that it would actually work at our house.

Oh yeah, we're in a "best" coverage area according to Verizon, but only with the network extender does it work right.

Must be nice for them to be running what essentially comes down to a monopoly, and be able to screw their customers any way that they want. They still manage to sleep at night, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87