Coming from a MAXX

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
So I am being sent a S3 to replace the MAXX VZW sent that has a messed up battery which was to replace the MAXX that has a crapload of dead pixels...
Last Samsung device I used was a VZW GNex... I was not impressed at all with the antennas on the GNex and the BT was horrid.. have there been any improvements with the S3 or is this replacement going to be replaced lol

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The antenna is 10000000000x better on the s3 than the nexus, if you concern is the antenna dont let it deter you from swapping phones. S3 radio ftw.

TOPshogun

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
So I am being sent a S3 to replace the MAXX VZW sent that has a messed up battery which was to replace the MAXX that has a crapload of dead pixels...
Last Samsung device I used was a VZW GNex... I was not impressed at all with the antennas on the GNex and the BT was horrid.. have there been any improvements with the S3 or is this replacement going to be replaced lol

Did they make you use an upgrade? What did you have to do to get them to trade a gs3 for your maxx?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

DriveEuro

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
The antenna is 10000000000x better on the s3 than the nexus, if you concern is the antenna dont let it deter you from swapping phones. S3 radio ftw.

I haven't yet seen the differences.... I had the GNEX for 3 months and the radio was horrible. Then went to the MAXX for 4 months and radio on there was perfect! Very little handoff between 3g and 4g, where the GNEX and S3 seem to switch WAY too often between 3g and 4g. Also, I find my S3 (got it last week) to have very similar radio performance to the GNEX. It switches to 3G way too often, where my MAXX used to stay 4G consistently.

To sum it up... MAXX radio is leaps and bounds better than the S3. You will find your S3 complaining about no signal, or being in 3G where your MAXX used to be on 4G. Its very frustrating.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Just as I'm about to order the s3 this week, been reading posts all over about radio issues. Then apparently the maxx HD got delayed for antenna issues, at least reportedly, and I was waiting it out for that since it was supposed to release this month. I'm a cofused kid. My gut tells me to keep waiting for the Motorola. I'm used to blackberry, htc, and motorola. No s3 for me it is. Far too many radio issues out there. Damn you Samsung.

Will I crack? tune in next week ............

sent from my DInc4g using AC forums

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok the long and short of it.. Ive been through my fair share of CLNR devices from VZW. I always seem to get the ones that "fall through the cracks" of Quality control.. bad reception, dead pixels, battery issues.. the MAXX I got on Monday was DEAD as in 0% battery. It took 14 hours to get a 100% charge. I never activated the phone but instead cut it off. less than 24 hours later the phone was dead again without being on or activated. I talked with tier 2 very nicely about it and pointed out the issues with both CLNRs I was sent. The tech got approval to swap out the phone after said, "After the two I have been through I really don't want to get somebody's problem.. again as I feel like I am QC for VZW now maybe I should get check cut" At no point was I rude or demanding, I just "strongly suggested". lol
I am a bit worried about battery life after being spoiled by that 3300 mAh battery on the MAXX.. will the 2100 on the S3 do the job? I will know tonight when I activate the phone..

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
As far as the battery goes it is smaller but I get roughly 12-14 hrs or use and that's with close to 3hrs of screen on time. If I'm conservative I can get over 20hrs. So the battery for me is no problem, keep in mind that I do have 4G off. As far as the antenna, well Motorola will always be superior. I have only experienced one dropped call with the S3 in the past 2 months, that's one more then the maxx. If you do switch to the S3 you may feel like you made a wrong move but after using the phone its really not that great of an issue. But if signal strength is your number one priority, and it should be cause it's a phone first off, I'd wait for the maxx hd.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
No comments on the Bluetooth reception? the Gnex was horrid for me.. always full of static even with phone in my shirt pocket..

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I use blue tooth every day when streaming music to my Motorola headphones, no problems here. Get like 30 feet distance also.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

DriveEuro

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I also came from the MAXX to S3.

Battery life on MAXX was easily 36-44 hours with 5-6 hours of screen on time. The S3 is quite different. I unplug at 5am and am usually 5-20% left by 10:30pm. That's with 2.75-3.25h screen on time. It doesn't last nearly as long as the MAXX... but it gets me though what I think is a sufficient amount of time. I am now conscious about charging before going out though. With the MAXX I literally never worried about being out without charging abilities. Though, with the S3 I'm much more aware of my battery life and whether or not I'll need to give it a quick boost before going out for the night, etc.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I came from the GNex to the S3 and IMHO, they aren't alike at all. EVERYTHING is so much better on the S3 than the VZW GNex. I love my S3 - hated the GNEx. Radios sucked, battery was terrible, blah blah blah Gnex blew ass, I love my S3.

ac295

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Here is my take, since I owned all three.

Gnex was unusable. Loved the phone, but signal was horrible for calls and Internet, battery was horrible, and I had to get rid of it for those reasons. Very frustrating.

On to the Maxx. Amazing. This phone was absolutely perfect. Everything worked flawlessly. Signal was amazing, battery was amazing. Bluetooth worked better than any other phone I had. What was I missing? I didn't want to get stuck with a phone for next couple of years that has yesterday's processor, and a non HD screen. I use my phone for everything. I gave the phone to my wife, and very skeptical bought the S3. I would have held out for the Maxx HD, figuring that would be my perfect phone considering how much I love the Maxx, but when I found out the phone was shipping with only 1g of ram and ICS I decided to take the plunge and buy the S3.

First couple of weeks I was very impressed with battery life, screen was amazing, and phone was smooth as butter. Does the battery last as long as the Maxx? No. But it gets me through the day with 3 hours of screen time, and charges faster than any phone I've ever had. If you ever run low just slap it on the charger for 20 minutes. No trouble at all. Problems came when I discovered bluetooth issues while syncing to my car. Now the experience is beyond ruined since I had a phone that worked perfectly and traded it in for the bells and whistles. After dealing with this for a while I was starting to regret my decision since it was an important feature for me. Then comes the update. Although everyone is saying it didn't do much, they are wrong. It fixed the issue. Works flawless now, syncing even better than the Maxx, which I thought was perfect as is. Now I have a phone with the best screen out in my opinion, excellent battery life, great camera, and virtually future proof for the next two years with an extremely fast processor and 2G of ram. Not to mention all the latest and greatest technology, and proven update support along with a great developer community. I couldn't be happier with this phone.

Hope this mini review based on my experience helps anyone deciding between these phones.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I dont use bt..

and im on att

but the antenea does suck on the gs3.. but the phone is pretty fantastic.. on att I just bounce from h+ to edge to 3g.. while im in an lte area tho it stays on lte...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Packing the MAXX up to send back to VZW.. if by chance this isn't for me, the wife may want to trade her MAXX for it lol.

DriveEuro

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
OK. I need to update my stance on the S3 radio.
I only ran touchwiz on my phone for about 2 hours once I bought it. I flashed to CM10 right away. CM10 had issues with the Radio Interface Layer, unbeknownst to me. This was causing my 3G to go in and out ALL DAY at work. This lead me to believe that the radio was just garbage.

Well, this morning I flashed to 10-4 CM10 nightly, which has the RIL fix. This coupled with the newest radio (VRLHD) is just awesome. My 3G is not dropping out at work anymore. 3G is solid so far. No drops.

I take back the crap I said about my S3 earlier in the thread. The radio performance was probably fine with TouchWiz. I just don't care for the way TouchWiz looks, so I never used it.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
OK. I need to update my stance on the S3 radio.
I only ran touchwiz on my phone for about 2 hours once I bought it. I flashed to CM10 right away. CM10 had issues with the Radio Interface Layer, unbeknownst to me. This was causing my 3G to go in and out ALL DAY at work. This lead me to believe that the radio was just garbage.

Well, this morning I flashed to 10-4 CM10 nightly, which has the RIL fix. This coupled with the newest radio (VRLHD) is just awesome. My 3G is not dropping out at work anymore. 3G is solid so far. No drops.

I take back the crap I said about my S3 earlier in the thread. The radio performance was probably fine with TouchWiz. I just don't care for the way TouchWiz looks, so I never used it.

So......no 4g??

sent from my DInc4g using AC forums