Issues with data dropping during mobile hotspot/tethering

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
so i used fattin for hours last night with zero issues. today tried it and data starts dropping. tried renaming network and using pdanet neither worked. dont understand the inconsistency. lucky i still have my tab 2 running ICS and if all else fails my rooted tbolt. but the reason i bought the sgs3 is im sick of always swapping sims around

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
so I searched around and I guess there is no way to downgrade back to ICS with a macbook pro since Odin doesn't work on mac. Is that correct?

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
no unfortunately its unrooted. And as an update I was able to tether flawlessly tonight, have been using fattin since around 6 pm. I don't understand the inconsistency

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
so I searched around and I guess there is no way to downgrade back to ICS with a macbook pro since Odin doesn't work on mac. Is that correct?

There's a guide for how to get back to ICS as well as Mac based root options for ICS. Verizon Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com. Or as GSDer noted Mobile Odin might be an option. Like others in this thread the Hotspot worked well for me on ICS. I've used it sparingly with JB and no issues but given the limited use appears I've not yet triggered the issue.

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
thanks. yeah sometimes it works fine and other times it drops the data. I actually do really like JB other than the tethering issue and since I have other device I can use when tethering isnt working I think I'll just wait and see if the next update fixes it. I've also ordered a zboost data blaster maybe a stronger data connection will help

flyguydip

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The issue is actually with their network. Their equipment is issueing duplicate IP's. I can tell you that I have put days into gathering logs that show things like this:

The IP address lease 10.162.175.239 for the Network Card with network address 0xXXXXXXXXX has been denied by the DHCP server 10.162.162.49 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0xXXXXXXXXX. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Seriously... IP conflicts like crazy. When you get an IP with an aircard, the dhcp lease time is about 2 hours. However, in our test lab we found that the IP might be good for 10 seconds or even up to 75 hours. We never really went over 75 in a lab. Not sure if this same problem affects phones, but it makes sense.

We are still in communications with verizon support to get it resolved in our area.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
The issue is actually with their network. Their equipment is issueing duplicate IP's. I can tell you that I have put days into gathering logs that show things like this:

The IP address lease 10.162.175.239 for the Network Card with network address 0xXXXXXXXXX has been denied by the DHCP server 10.162.162.49 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0xXXXXXXXXX. The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Seriously... IP conflicts like crazy. When you get an IP with an aircard, the dhcp lease time is about 2 hours. However, in our test lab we found that the IP might be good for 10 seconds or even up to 75 hours. We never really went over 75 in a lab. Not sure if this same problem affects phones, but it makes sense.

We are still in communications with verizon support to get it resolved in our area.

You're the man. This is what I suspected all along. Glad someone with knowledge and resources is on it.

Edit: will you keep us updated on this? I also have reason to believe the duplicate IP issue is only on windows pc's. I was able to reconnect my tablet a few times. Perhaps we can test this more extensive...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
ok I can't guarantee that this completely solves the problem but I have definitely noticed that when I launch the hotspot with the fattin toggle and connect with a moblie device first (tablet, another phone etc) the data doesn't seem to drop and then I can connect with my laptop and tether very nicely. But when I connect with my laptop FIRST is when I seem to get the dropped data problem. hope this helps.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
@ flyguydip - Nice find and share :D
As for the theory about duplicate IPs being issued. Just so I understand the Hotspot process and what may be happening, please allow me to try to replay what may be going on.
Scenario 1. When the Hotspot is toggled on, the S3 gets a 2nd IP address in addition to the one it already has for the data connection?
Scenario 2. Or, the S3 NATs or Proxies out its existing single IP address so that any system connecting to the S3's Hotspot can gain access to the Verizon network and then on to the Internet?
Scenario 3. The S3 acts like a network bridge when Hotspot Mode is on, thus allowing a system connecting to the S3's Hotspot to receive a DHCP based IP address from a Verizon DHCP server?
From what I've been able to understand, the 0x79 error correlates to the requesting NIC and TCP/IP stack getting a denial from a DHCP server, thus the DHCPNACK response.
DHCP Architecture indicates that DHCPNACK state can occur due to the renewal request failing (thus a NACK response), or the client (the S3 I believe in this case) moving to a different network segment and receiving a DHCPNACK. This last part may just indicate that the requestor tried to renew or regain its prior IP address and related lease details, but since its now on a different L2 network segment, the DHCP server sends a NACK. The requestor should send another request, and if the DHCP server is configured properly (meaning bound to N interfaces) it should be able to send out a DHCPACK to the S3. At which point all should be good for Scenarios 2-3 - if I understand the situation correctly :)

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok so ive noticed that tethring definitely works flawlessly to any of my mobile devices but to my MacBook is still hit or miss.

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
update does not fix data dropping problem but I have been noticing that after the initial drop when I change my wifi connection to a different source for a few minutes and then connect back to the hotspot it works without dropping

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
update does not fix data dropping problem but I have been noticing that after the initial drop when I change my wifi connection to a different source for a few minutes and then connect back to the hotspot it works without dropping

Well, It's nice that Verizon/Samsung repairs the free actions of the phone but doesn't repair the ones like hotspot that I pay for.

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Tethering is not completely fixed but I now can get reliable tethering without dropping after turning on hotspot, connecting (won't work the first time as data drops), disconnecting and waiting a few minutes, and then reconnecting.

broadwayblues

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Tethering is not completely fixed but I now can get reliable tethering without dropping after turning on hotspot, connecting (won't work the first time as data drops), disconnecting and waiting a few minutes, and then reconnecting.

That's good to know, thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I just don't understand the inconsistency. It seems to work about 80% of the time when I make sure to connect with a mobile device first like my tablet, load a few pages with that and wait a few minutes and then connect with my macbook.

famouzstarz#AC

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
have any of you tired flashing the latest modems?

are any of you rooted? if you are make sure your RUIM / SIM - NV is set to RUIM / SIM this was causing my problems when tethering