Verizon S3: I think I just hard bricked my phone...

dwt10

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I was previously running some old nightly of CM and wasn't happy with the battery life, so I went to switch to another rom that was in rom manager and it installed fine but I was getting a lot of errors with google apps and whatever, so then I downloaded and installed the Codec rom. All was going well, but it said that the custom kernel wasnt flashed but the install still finished and when I selected the "reboot" option in CWM it just went dead and the screen wont go on. plugging it into my computer or the wall plug or holding all the buttons does absolutely nothing, so I am 99% sure its a hard brick and I need a replacement. any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: I think I just hard bricked my phone...

I was previously running some old nightly of CM and wasn't happy with the battery life, so I went to switch to another rom that was in rom manager and it installed fine but I was getting a lot of errors with google apps and whatever, so then I downloaded and installed the Codec rom. All was going well, but it said that the custom kernel wasnt flashed but the install still finished and when I selected the "reboot" option in CWM it just went dead and the screen wont go on. plugging it into my computer or the wall plug or holding all the buttons does absolutely nothing, so I am 99% sure its a hard brick and I need a replacement. any ideas?
No download mode?

dwt10

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

nope. confirmed its a hard brick though. with no sd, sim, or battery plugged into my computer gives me a red led

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

nope. confirmed its a hard brick though. with no sd, sim, or battery plugged into my computer gives me a red led

Send it to mobiletechvideos.com they will unbrick it for $60

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

ThisDieingDream1

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Hey I have the same issue!!!

My led light only comes on red when the phones plugged in and battery is out.
But this is from it getting dropped and the main bored inside broke. Well not broke but the metal plate on the board fell off. I soldered it back on. But nothing
:(

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

xXXNotMVAMXXx

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

If you call Verizon tell them the phone died on you they will send a replacement out. I bricked 2 of my Nexus' and they swapped them out for me right away. Just act completely clueless as to what happened. Tell them you woke up unplugged it and it died and won't reboot.

I have been replacing phones for years, I started with a blackberry Storm now I have a GS3 haven't paid for a phone in 4 years.

cellus5000

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

will that work for a rooted gs3 on att

- - - Updated - - -

If you call Verizon tell them the phone died on you they will send a replacement out. I bricked 2 of my Nexus' and they swapped them out for me right away. Just act completely clueless as to what happened. Tell them you woke up unplugged it and it died and won't reboot.

I have been replacing phones for years, I started with a blackberry Storm now I have a GS3 haven't paid for a phone in 4 years.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

In this situation, there's a good chance it will. If the phone is bricked, it's highly doubtful the Verizon folks will go through the trouble of fixing it just to see what software it is running. Just a matter of getting AT&T to replace the phone, which they should if it's less than a year old (i.e. still under warranty), rooted or not, there's no really way to tell at that point.

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

aah men theres a place to and you can spit new life back into your GS#.. I'll see if i can find the addy and get right back

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

What is ROM Mangler doing such that people should stop using it?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

What is ROM Mangler doing such that people should stop using it?

Offering to flash ROMs meant for a different model of the phone, that's what. The OP applied a ROM meant for the international (i9300) version of the S3 to a Verizon phone.

People, PLEASE learn to do some research before screwing with your phone. Replacing ROMs isn't like installing an app. If you get it wrong, you can't just uninstall it. It took me one Google search and about 60 seconds to discover the Codec ROM is for the international version of the phone:

DO NOT FLASH THIS ==> Codec ROM for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean - Team Android <=== THIS LINK IS HERE ONLY TO POINT OUT THE OP'S ERROR

If you don't know what "i9300" means, or what model your phone is, you shouldn't be flashing ROMs.

Oh, heck, why do I even bother. You see this kind of behavior on forums for every interest group: "Hey, I just ordered these new wheels. Will they fit my car?" "Look at this great deal I got on a new lens." "What do you mean it won't autofocus on my camera?" "I just ordered this battery for my phone. Will NFC still work?"

I don't know why people don't do some research and ask questions FIRST, instead of after they've wasted a bunch of money, or ruined their phone.

Last edited:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Offering to flash ROMs meant for a different model of the phone, that's what. The OP applied a ROM meant for the international (i9300) version of the S3 to a Verizon phone.

People, PLEASE learn to do some research before screwing with your phone. Replacing ROMs isn't like installing an app. If you get it wrong, you can't just uninstall it. It took me one Google search and about 60 seconds to discover the Codec ROM is for the international version of the phone:

DO NOT FLASH THIS ==> Codec ROM for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean - Team Android <=== THIS LINK IS HERE ONLY TO POINT OUT THE OP'S ERROR

If you don't know what "i9300" means, or what model your phone is, you shouldn't be flashing ROMs.

Oh, heck, why do I even bother. You see this kind of behavior on forums for every interest group: "Hey, I just ordered these new wheels. Will they fit my car?" "Look at this great deal I got on a new lens." "What do you mean it won't autofocus on my camera?" "I just ordered this battery for my phone. Will NFC still work?"

I don't know why people don't do some research and ask questions FIRST, instead of after they've wasted a bunch of money, or ruined their phone.

Good PSA. Perhaps ROM Manager's forte is for CyanogenMod ROMs only?

YeltonDarian

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

Well i can feel along with you guys. I believe i just bricked my s3. However i had mine through sprint but flashed it to cricket. i had just rooted it not even 3 hours ago >.>.. first flashed cyanogen mod 10.1 to it and it kept getting stuck in a boot loop well.. to my .. disadvantage i had my clockworkrecovery on the internal memory of my phone apparently.. so therefore it was there but could not be restored.. well i was tired of the aggravation so i attempted to full data wipe and wipe the dalvik cache.. bam .. aha .. never cut on since then. All i get is the red led light when the battery is out and it is plugged up. However i did call samsung.. and told them my mtp abilites were stopped a week ago "which they were" i tried everything from downloading new drivers to just using a different laptopl. Any how i told them about that and i told them i needed to reboot my phone and afterwords it wouldnt cut on and now a ups label is on its way and he said they could repair it for free im guessing cause ive had it less than a year but.. good luck bro.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Catch 22. Carriers do not want to unlock devices for the very trouble made example here, but they create inefficient and bloaty firmware that compels people to want to mod their devices.

joepadz

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site

To xXXNotMVAMXXx - wow I have insurance & have been trying to unbrick my phone for a week with no success. I'll be calling Verizon today for my replacement. So glad I found your post. Thanks

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

have been trying to unbrick my phone for a week with no success
If you're just getting a replacement I guess your problem is solved; if you still need help trying to unbrick let us know.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress