"Unfortunately, Messaging has stopped" Error

GBPL

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I went to send a text and the entire messaging thing froze, then all my text messages went away and I got that error.

I've tried clearing the cache, data and restarting. The last thing I read was to do the same with "badgeprovider" but still nothing.
This happened a week ago, and as a last resort I've done a factory reset. STILL trying to get all my apps back and settings back,..and it did it again!
I looked on the samsung site to see if there was any help on their troubleshooting section, and nothing.
So they had a "contact" us section which I did, and amazingly got a response within hours... and it said that the factory reset was the last resort, and they recommended sending
it in for repair!
Hoping that someone else has experienced the same error and has a solution!!!
I got it when the S3 was released, so July '12

In the meantime I'm using "mightytext" which is awesome...but still would like to send/receive texts from my phone!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :'(

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I went to send a text and the entire messaging thing froze, then all my text messages went away and I got that error.

I've tried clearing the cache, data and restarting. The last thing I read was to do the same with "badgeprovider" but still nothing.
This happened a week ago, and as a last resort I've done a factory reset. STILL trying to get all my apps back and settings back,..and it did it again!
I looked on the samsung site to see if there was any help on their troubleshooting section, and nothing.
So they had a "contact" us section which I did, and amazingly got a response within hours... and it said that the factory reset was the last resort, and they recommended sending
it in for repair!
Hoping that someone else has experienced the same error and has a solution!!!
I got it when the S3 was released, so July '12

In the meantime I'm using "mightytext" which is awesome...but still would like to send/receive texts from my phone!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :'(

Wow. Sounds like you covered everything. I can't think of anything else. DId you clear cache in recovery?

GBPL

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok... tried that and still no go!!! :-\
That's a neat thing to know though,... I did it twice without holding the "home" button and then reread your instructions. I was giddy with the possibility of getting it working again.
While I was waiting for a reply I was dinking with it myself.
After I hit messaging and before I would get the error, I would hold the home button down until task manager came up, and with a free finger touch the messaging icon and all my text messages would show up, but the error would then override any attempts to click on a message.
After hittiing "ok" on the error, it would all go back to black and close.
Hopefully someone that has had this happen will see my desperate post and reply!
Thanks for that other tip though GD97!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok... tried that and still no go!!! :-\
That's a neat thing to know though,... I did it twice without holding the "home" button and then reread your instructions. I was giddy with the possibility of getting it working again.
While I was waiting for a reply I was dinking with it myself.
After I hit messaging and before I would get the error, I would hold the home button down until task manager came up, and with a free finger touch the messaging icon and all my text messages would show up, but the error would then override any attempts to click on a message.
After hittiing "ok" on the error, it would all go back to black and close.
Hopefully someone that has had this happen will see my desperate post and reply!
Thanks for that other tip though GD97!

You are welcome. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I had the same thing happen three days ago, but clearing the cache in recovery fixed it right up for me. Problem hasn't returned for me.

GBPL

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Verizon,.. he walked me thru the steps of "Force stop, then clearing cache" and it still didn't work.
Then he had me download "Go SMS pro" to use instead of my regular messaging app.

All of my old text messages were there, and at least I can text with my phone again!! Wheew!

Thanks for taking the time to read/ respond to my desperate pleas for help!!!:p

GBPL

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Shockingly my messaging app started working around 11 pm! lol I was getting a flurry of texts, and it just decided to start working again.
I'm going to keep the "Go SMS Pro" app though just in case! :cool:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Shockingly my messaging app started working around 11 pm! lol I was getting a flurry of texts, and it just decided to start working again.
I'm going to keep the "Go SMS Pro" app though just in case! :cool:

Don't you just love how computers are finicky?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
This has been happening to me a lot lately too but all i do is restart my phone and it all comes back to normal. Sorry to hear that yours is still having problems. good luck to you.

Nascott

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
This is happening with my S3 through Verizon, but here's a catch,

IT ONLY HAPPENS WITH NUMBERS I HAVE NEVER TEXTED BEFORE!

I can add on to previous texts I've made, groups, etc... but I can not create new groups nor text anyone I haven't previously texted or who has texted me.

I went to a Verizon store today and they said that Samsung is aware of the problem and there is a fix being worked on, but there's no timetable for any solution at this time.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store today and they said that Samsung is aware of the problem and there is a fix being worked on, but there's no timetable for any solution at this time.
Sorry, that sounds more like "I have no idea what your problem is, and don't know enough to help you".
Have you tried any of the suggestions in the previous posts?

If you don't care about your current SMS/MMS you could Clear cache/Clear data in the Messaging app. If you do, you could use the Kies software on your PC to make a backup and then Clear cache/Clear data. (Note that most apps in the Google Play Store will only backup/restore SMS - they don't handle MMS.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Nascott

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Yep... tried everything except the hard reset as I have a ton of emails, etc... on my phone... I will do the back up with Kies and maybe try that later this week. I even tried to have someone text me who I've never gotten a text from before and as my phone was receiving it, I got the same message and the text never showed up!

CRAZY!

lindeelou

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem too EVERY SUNDAY at about the same time. Weird... I uninstalled all my apps at the suggestion of tech support but no luck. It happened again the next week. I too have a lot of texts so I had to back them up to SMS Back up + the reset the phone to the factory settings......I've done this three times and it keeps happening every sunday so Verizon sent me a refurbed phone since mine is under a year old. I don't think it's fair I should get a refurb, I should get a brand new phone, but at this point I'll do whatever it takes.
Yep... tried everything except the hard reset as I have a ton of emails, etc... on my phone... I will do the back up with Kies and maybe try that later this week. I even tried to have someone text me who I've never gotten a text from before and as my phone was receiving it, I got the same message and the text never showed up!

CRAZY!

heidishereen

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
This is happening with my S3 through Verizon, but here's a catch,

IT ONLY HAPPENS WITH NUMBERS I HAVE NEVER TEXTED BEFORE!

I can add on to previous texts I've made, groups, etc... but I can not create new groups nor text anyone I haven't previously texted or who has texted me.

I have this exact problem on my Galaxy Fame. I can't receive messages from people I've not messaged yet either. Have you managed to resolve yours?

kryjnn

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been having this problem with my Galaxy Note 2, AND my Galaxy S Duos. After I restart my phone, Messaging starts working again for a time, then after a few weeks, it happens again. I thought maybe there is a problem and Messaging can't handle so many texts. Yes, I do keep a lot of texts on them, I'm guessing anywhere from 3,000-8,000 text messages based on my last SMS backups. I've tried deleting some old threads but this still happens. It's quite annoying to have to restart my phone every time it happens.

Glad to know it's not just me..

RASEL FSIBL

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: "Unfortunately, Contact has stopped" Error

Today on 27th December suddenly my Samsung GalaxyS3 mobile shown me "Unfortunately, Contact has stopped" Error, when trying to make a call. It is mentionable here my device is bought just 6 months earlier and is made in koria by samsung.

Someone pls tell me what to do?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Rasel,
Have you tried restarting the phone?
What happens if you start the Contacts app by itself - does your contact information look to be intact?
Just to be safe, you could export your contact information to a file: from within the Contacts app, press the Menu button, select Import/Export, then select 'Export to SD card'. (It's always good to have a backup, even though it should all be synced with Google.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez