Why do I stay with Verizon?

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Full disclosure: this is an absolutely useless/pointless post; I am here merely to ***** and complain about how much I hate this company.

EVERY time a new phone comes out, I go through this prolonged period of frustration and annoyance but for some odd reason wait around for VZW to get off their lazy a$$e$ and be last-to-market to release the phone.

I don't know what annoys me more, that I have to wait around so long or that I cant comprehend how such a massive company could/would risk losing customers by being last to the game. Or maybe its the fact that I cant pull myself away from this company because of this "perception" of unsurpassed quality within the wireless space?

Either way, I know that the day I switch to ATT for the ONE, Verizon will announce their release date the following day.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure about your area, but in mine the network really is that much better. It's their only plus in my mind.

Noremacam

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm stuck on Verizon for a number of reasons. 1. I live out in the boonies and it's the only network that reaches well(I can get 2G att service indoors, compared to 4g LTE with verizon). and 2. my entire family uses verizon so if I switch nobody will want to talk because it will use up all their minutes.

My plan ends at the end of July, so I gotta be patient anyways - I'm just going to grumble and wait for my HTC one.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Full disclosure: this is an absolutely useless/pointless post; I am here merely to ***** and complain about how much I hate this company.

EVERY time a new phone comes out, I go through this prolonged period of frustration and annoyance but for some odd reason wait around for VZW to get off their lazy a$$e$ and be last-to-market to release the phone.

I don't know what annoys me more, that I have to wait around so long or that I cant comprehend how such a massive company could/would risk losing customers by being last to the game. Or maybe its the fact that I cant pull myself away from this company because of this "perception" of unsurpassed quality within the wireless space?

Either way, I know that the day I switch to ATT for the ONE, Verizon will announce their release date the following day.

I agree with you to a certain extent. I used to have Verizon and I liked their coverage. Plus, they have some services I really enjoyed like live NFL games. But I feel you on the phones available. I dislike their Droid line. And their branding on phones is probably the worst. But I have found that there are tradeoffs with every carrier. I loved Sprint's unlimited LTE, but you had to pay extra for tethering and the coverage, on the whole, is quite bad. T-Mobile has great prices, but their coverage can be quite bad too. I have AT&T now and they aren't perfect, but I have the least amount of problems with them. I don't like that I can't use Google hangouts over cellular, and that their phones come with so much bloatware. But I do like all of the WiFi spots and how they automatically connect. I like the simultaneous voice and data. I love the selection of devices and the option of using unlocked devices. I hear that customer service is still pretty bad. But that isn't a concern for me because I never call customer service.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
you can't use Hangouts over cell?? that's insane. that's like saying you can't browse the Web on cell......

are you absolutely sure?

from my DNA

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
you can't use Hangouts over cell?? that's insane. that's like saying you can't browse the Web on cell......

are you absolutely sure?

from my DNA

Well.... is this because of streaming video calls? nevertheless they shouldn't block that on their shared 4g plans.

from my DNA

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In my office, AT&T users need microcells to get coverage indoors. T-Mobile (which I personally tested via the $30 prepaid 100 minute/unlimited text/unlimited data plan) requires you to leave the building to get service.

Verizon is my best option.

rbiowa

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I was tired of waiting. No I'm not going to the S4. I've had an S3, Note and Note 2. They didn't meet my expectations and I don't see enough different (heck, they all look the the same) in the S4. So, I bought the HTC One on AT&T. Service was fine in Iowa. Totally different story in Wisconsin (I have a small vacation home). AT&T coverage map shows no issues with coverage with 4G (not LTE) available. Wrong! I get roaming 2g in the area. Phone calls are a joke. Phone goes back to AT&T on Monday. That's why I'm stuck staying with Verizon. Anyone comes up with an equivalent network, bye bye Verizon.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

are you absolutely sure?

from my DNA

Yep. Only the iPhone can do video calls over cellular. When you try you get a message saying that you need to be on WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon provides the best service. I pay $140 for 5 lines of service, 2 smartphones, one with unlimited data. I checked other carriers factoring in the subsidized phones, and other carriers are not substantially cheaper. Also, there are spots in my office that people on other carriers get weak or no reception, and Verizon works.

Yes, Verizon is slow to get phones and updates, but for me, network reliability and cost are the most important things.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 2

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Verizon provides the best service. I pay $140 for 5 lines of service, 2 smartphones, one with unlimited data. I checked other carriers factoring in the subsidized phones, and other carriers are not substantially cheaper. Also, there are spots in my office that people on other carriers get weak or no reception, and Verizon works.

Yes, Verizon is slow to get phones and updates, but for me, network reliability and cost are the most important things.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 2

I have Never heard anyone praise Verizon for their price haha. So you sir are very lucky. I pay out my a$$ for two lines ($140) and that's including my 20% discount!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have Never heard anyone praise Verizon for their price haha. So you sir are very lucky. I pay out my a$$ for two lines ($140) and that's including my 20% discount!

It is the cheapest or near so for my uses. But yes, in general, it is more costly than other carriers.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I travel a lot so the coverage is a huge factor for me. I put up with the slow phone releases for that reason alone. I always chuckle at threads like this... Same comments for every new phone Verizon releases months after everyone else! I've had my DNA since launch and love it, but excited for the one to hit Verizon

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I travel a lot, get service everywhere. There's some spots with just no data connection, but for the most part I get signal.
My wife works underground and Verizon is the only ones with the underground signal things at her work, so if you don't have Verizon, you don't have service down there.
Also, when I was in the army and we'd be out in the field training, in the mountains and as far from civilization as they could take us, Verizon would get signal. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're not supposed to bring cell phones to the field, but everyone does.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm stuck on Verizon for a number of reasons. 1. I live out in the boonies and it's the only network that reaches well(I can get 2G att service indoors, compared to 4g LTE with verizon). and 2. my entire family uses verizon so if I switch nobody will want to talk because it will use up all their minutes.

My plan ends at the end of July, so I gotta be patient anyways - I'm just going to grumble and wait for my HTC one.

I have always wondered why Verizon hasn't picked up on the unlimited mobile to mobile... Well yeah I know why money.. But att even copied Sprint on that so figures Verizon would since att did it.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've looked into switching to AT&T but I fear like someone above said about service not working. I even checked at the AT&T store and the general manager said he wouldn't recommend them to me right now in my area. Which really sucks. I need the service that Verizon provides - I can't have slow speeds, dropped calls, etc. This is my only phone. We don't have a landline in our house, so it looks like I'll just deal with it. And Verizon doesn't care if some people leave for other providers simply for different phones. We (tech freaks) are not in the majority. Most people don't even know that the One is coming out and have no clue that they should wait for it. And the average user isn't going to go through the trouble of switching carriers for a phone.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I too am sticking with Verizon because I have unlimited data plan and the best 4g coverage where I live and work. There is no AT&T LTE where I live and no Sprint 4g. I have T-mo with my Nexus 4 which I get HSPA+ service at home and only 2g at best at work. I would like to replace my aging HTC Rezound with a new phone but will wait until HTC One arrives. Maybe the Droid Ultra and Droid Maxx will be out by then too.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
I stick with Verizon for two reasons. Coverage and Unlimited Data.

T-Mobile works at my office as there is a tower within view, and we have internal antenna systems. Outside, on my drive home and at home. It doesn't work, drops calls, hits dead zones. (using S3). When I worked for my previous employer, I had a T-Mobile line with various blackberries. Again, worked great on the building's internal antenna system, but was horrible the moment I left the buildings. Driving up I95, 476 and the North East Extension of the PA Turnpike, and visiting my mom in the Allentown (Dorney Park) area, coverage with T-Mobile also dropped and would go SOS.

I haven't been on ATT in a while. Since the swtich from TDMA to GSM in fact, when I started having drops with my TDMA phone where I never had them before. (it appeared like they were turning off TDMA towers as they brought on GSM). But those I work with that have ATT also feel its not reliable in our area, and feel Verizon beats them.

Sprint doesn't have enough native coverage in our area, and my wife's cousin was booted from Sprint for roaming too much.

With my wife and I using Rhapsody, often in the car or at work, and needing the ability to bring up a movie on Netflix to keep our son quiet when we are out to dinner and such, we eat about 6 to 8gig of data PER LINE each month. So staying with our current VZW Family Share for 4 lines (two smart phones with unlimited data, and two flip phones with no data), is still the best bang for the buck and gives us great coverage. If we get forced off this plan, who knows what will happen.

Regulator

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I actually switched from Verizon to ATT to get the One about 3 weeks ago. I was going to lose my unlimited data whenever I updated anyways so it was time to look around after 10+ years with Big Red.

. . . The phone is awesome as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana