Unlocking GSM capabilities of the Rezound

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So, aside from an update from Verizon, is there any way to get the Rezound unlocked so it can use the GSM radios and use att, t Mobile or straight talk sim cards? And if able to use them, will it get 3g or hspa+?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I believe there's a ROM or two that focus on the worldphone features of the Rezound. I don't know that any of them are fully functional but they're out there.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
no need for an update, the rezound comes factory sim unlocked. Just use the "lte onoff" app from the Play store, or similar to go to the secret menu and change to "wcdma preferred". This will work for voice, but text and data might not work. Optionally, you can root and install a rom that would allow sms and data.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/17/fully-deodexed-gsm-based-rom-released-for-htc-rezound-goodbye-verizon/

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone. I have a rezound and I need it to work on a gsm network about 6 months out of the year. I have not rooted yet. I have used it on a gsm network and it does work for voice and sms incoming.It doesn't work for sms outgoing as I am sure some of you are familiar with the problem. So that's where I'm starting from.
I will be happy to root and do what is needed in order to have this phone do what I want it to do. But before I do, I really want to talk to someone who knows their sh*t.
I don't know if I'll need to install another rom, and flip between roms when I switch networks or not. I don't know very much at all, but I bet someone out there is willing to help me make some decissions and guide me to the information required in order to accomplish my meager goal here.

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate your response. If you could get me a link that would be great. Plus I have no idea which site to check out.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Unlocking, root, and rom info

http://forums.androidcentral.com/rezound-rooting-roms-hacks/166392-guide-unlocking-rooting-roming-faq-2.html#post2007433

The specific rom needed is linked to in my previous post.

Hey everyone. I have a rezound and I need it to work on a gsm network about 6 months out of the year. I have not rooted yet. I have used it on a gsm network and it does work for voice and sms incoming.It doesn't work for sms outgoing as I am sure some of you are familiar with the problem. So that's where I'm starting from.
I will be happy to root and do what is needed in order to have this phone do what I want it to do. But before I do, I really want to talk to someone who knows their sh*t.
I don't know if I'll need to install another rom, and flip between roms when I switch networks or not. I don't know very much at all, but I bet someone out there is willing to help me make some decissions and guide me to the information required in order to accomplish my meager goal here.

Reactions: Bkolb69

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Just so you know, the site that can't be named, is XDA developers. They are super elitists, and in general treat every non-genius like they wear a hockey helmet everywhere. There is tons of good info over there, but if you were to dare ask this over there... well I dare you.

If you root, which is awesome, and I highly recommend it, I would flash this dudes Rom. [ROM]Rezound Pure GSM Sense 3.6 (RPG) [GSM] [AROMA] [07/24/12][v1.1] - xda-developers He is the man at GSM. The link is to a Sense 3.6 ICS rom. He has an MIUI Rom, this Sense 3.6 Rom, and a Sense 4 Rom. All you have to do on his roms to get GSM working, is put a GSM sim card in your phone. No other changes are made. I believe most of them work on CDMA/LTE as well, but they have issues with sending MMS I think.

Reactions: Bkolb69

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I really appreciate your feedback. I will probably go with your recommendation. Do you have a link handy to guide a noob through the rooting and flashing process that assumes I know nothing? Because I don't know much. :)

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Well I was getting really close to rooting when I got the update to ice cream sandwich. So I'm hoping this update will fix the sms issues when using gsm. Otherwise I'll probably have to wait for the different rooting procedure.

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
This is what the LTE on off widget gives me since the ics ota yesterday. I wonder if it will fix the sms sending problem. But I may have to wait until I get to Akutan unless someone here can test it.

Bkolb69

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Anyone interested in this topic? If you are here's an update.
I contacted HTC DEV and they are looking into it. They were very responsive and seemed to be very interested in fixing the problem. I encourage anyone interested in this matter to go to the HTC DEV site and let them know what's going on. You will not be disappointed with their responsiveness.

Airborne180

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I tested this last week with a standard Rezound, running 4.0.3, as OTA updated. I bought a pre-paid T-Mobile SIM (Easy-Free) card in Europe, and results are similar to what is already known:

* Used "LTE On/Off" app to switch function to GSM, signal level bars were observed
* On awaking, the phone displayed a message "SIM is from an unknown source. Emergency calls only."
* Occasionally lost signal bars and switched back to CDMA
* Could dial and receive voice calls, and receive text messages
* Could not send text messages
* No APNs were visible, and attempts to enter were unsuccessful, "Bearer" menu lacked GPRS setting, internet was not working
* Never observed less than 5-bars signal level
* Notification bar displayed a message "SIM card is full, please delete some messages."

Interestingly, T-Mobile texted me frequently with the pre-paid rates for local, incoming, MMS, and SMS. It was nice to have the warning. Rates rose drastically when the phone registered on AT&T and then T-Mobile back in the USA.

I'd say this wasn't entirely successful, but it filled part of the need.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty