Thunderbolt or Iphone

DCBCANES

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Both my wife and I have the Droid X. We are both eligble for upgrades but honestly I cant afford the nexus or razr so i have to choose between these too. Is the Tbolt worth getting now that its a year old? How is the Tbolt compared to the X? Im just trying to make an imformed decision and any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

jcastag

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
you should check out pricing for the Rezound or nexus on Amazon wireless. I would not recommend the TBolt at this point, unless you get it for free and plan on rooting right from day 1.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
TBolt would definitely be your best choice. The TBolt is about 9 1/2 months old now. It is still neck and neck with other Android Phones just released (Galaxy Nexus and HTC Rezound). Six months from now, or a year from now, or two years, the Galaxy Nexus, HTC Rezound and TBolt will still be neck and neck. Seems like an easy decision to me. But I guess I'm prejudice. :)

No matter what, it is better than the iPhone.

-Frank

Last edited:

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
If you only have the choice between the Thunderbolt or the iPhone, definitely the Thunderbolt. I had it before I got the Galaxy Nexus and I was a little sad to see it go as it has become a really solid phone even without rooting and roming. It's very established and stable now.

I gave it to my mom and took her upgrade to get the Galaxy Nexus because she can't afford even spending $100 on a phone and she absolutely loves it.

DCBCANES

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice! I do have another question, Is the bolt 3g capable as well because I don't have 4g yet have been told its coming soon though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice! I do have another question, Is the bolt 3g capable as well because I don't have 4g yet have been told its coming soon though.

Yes, the thunderbolt has 3G as well. The iphone has retina display, if that is a factor for you. Having had both, the iPhone screen is sharper, especially for small text. If you want an android with similar ppi as the iPhone, then get the galaxy nexus or rezound. The iphone 4s has gsm capabilities, the thunderbolt does not. The rezound is similar and imo is an upgrade in just about every category stock for stock and has gsm capabilities, if that is a factor. Of course, the thunderbolt is cheaper, i have seen it free before, whereas the rezound, the lowest i have seen it is $50 on upgrade, but free for new lines.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE HD Global smartphone.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest the Thunderbolt over the iphone because of bigger screen, 4G and the fact that the web browser does real web pages and I forgot flash.

Aerostar509

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
My daughter went from an android to the i4s because her husband is an apple fan. At first she hated it, now she lives with it, but is going to get the Rezound. Once you don't have the back, menu and home buttons, you are lost. Think of how many times you use the back button without even looking. With most apple pages you have to go the the upper left corner to go back. If you use reading glasses then the smaller iPhone screen is that much harder to see. The Rezound just looks like a Tbolt to me but you are paying $100 for a set of headphones that you might not use much. I saw the Tbolt for $99 the other day from Verizon. The only thing I don't like about my Tbolt is that my Motorola H17 headset randomly disconnect and then reconnects, I think it is a headset problem as my other BT sets don't do that. I hate how the iPhone doesn't have cursor arrow keys, if you mistype, or mispeck as in my case, it is frustrating trying to put the cursor in a certain spot.
Tim

Big-Dave

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the bolt and my wife got the iPhone. We went on a trip the day she got it, the tbolt has much better mapping and direction applications than the iphone. This is big for me since I drive everywhere.

Aerostar509

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you get the Tbolt make sure to buy a spare Rezound battery, they are $20 from VZW.
The battery is the same size but larger capacity than the stock Tbolt battery.
Mine last all day now.
Tim

fubaracing7374

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Also, if you get the Tbolt make sure to buy a spare Rezound battery, they are $20 from VZW.
The battery is the same size but larger capacity than the stock Tbolt battery.
Mine last all day now.
Tim

Did you get it at the Store or online?

Sent from my Skyraider Zeus'd Thunderbolt

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Both my wife and I have the Droid X. We are both eligble for upgrades but honestly I cant afford the nexus or razr so i have to choose between these too. Is the Tbolt worth getting now that its a year old? How is the Tbolt compared to the X? Im just trying to make an imformed decision and any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!

Which iPhone are you getting? Thunderbolt is $99 at Verizon right now after a $50 rebate. Cheapest 4S is $199. You could get a Bionic for the same price as the cheapest 4S. If you are looking at the regular iPhone 4, I would definitely go with Thunderbolt. Really, i'd go Thunderbolt either way but if you are spending $200 I would look at the Bionic too.

Steve54

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Thunderbolt...for the money, there is just not a device that justifies the extra outlay. No 4g on the iphone, which is the coming standard, and once you experience it, it is tough to go back. Voice and data on 3g. Bigger screen. Support if you are a rooter/rommer. The list of little things, not the least of which is you won't be one of those people who think they're cool because they have an iPhone. If you gave me the latest iPhone I would try and sell it among all the other iPhones on Craigslist, buy my sis a TBolt, get back my DInc2 and give it to someone who needed a phone. Just my lowly opinion.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
iPhone:
+ More apps (those specific to companies, etc), as opposed to general-purpose apps.
+ Managing your music is a little easier (iTunes).
+ Phone is backed up for you automatically (iTunes).
+ Consistent user experience
+ Tends to bettery battery life (smaller screen = less juice sucked down)
+ More cases, accessories, car kits, etc available.
- Cannot change fundamental things like keyboard, etc.
- Cannot change battery or expand memory.
- Smaller screen.
- Requires iTunes installed on your PC to even activate the phone (Mac, Windows only - Linux users need not apply).

Thunderbolt:
+ FLASH, support for more video and audio formats.
+ Does not require iTunes on your PC.
+ much bigger screen.
- Heavier, larger phone.
- Battery life.
+ Can change to an extended battery to help with battery life.
+ Takes SD chips, lots more memory.
+ 4G-capable.
+ Voice and Data at the same time even on 3G (Tbolt is the ONLY Verizon phone capable of this on 3G, if you want an iPhone and need this get AT&T).
+ Can replace launcher, keyboard, browser, etc etc.

Which is a better phone? Well, which is prettier? Sunsets or kittens? (grin).

Seriously, there is no "better" in this - it's a matter of which one suits your needs, wants, and usage patterns best. I chose the Thunderbolt because:

1. I have large fingers and cannot type on the iPhone. With the Thunderbolt, I get a bigger keyboard AND the ability to use a keyboard that works exactly like my PalmPilot from years back (a feature that many of my iPhone-toting friend are very jealous of, since the iPhone won't let you change keyboards at all, much less to a handwriting-recognition one).

2. I use Linux as my desktop, so I have no way of activating an iPhone short of creating a Windows Virtual Machine in VirtualBox, and I'm not about to do all that for a @#$@#$ phone.

3. I wanted the 8Mpix camera, the iPhone 4 (the one out at the time when I made my choice) has a pathetc camera compared to the TBolt's. To be fair, the new 4S camera seems to perform better than my TBolt's does, so that factor has changed.

DCBCANES

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I can't thank everyone enough for all your input. Really leaning towards the bolt unless I can swing a deal for the resound. Thanks agaun

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
- Heavier, larger phone.

In my case, I take this as a POSITIVE. I can certainly see were someone would want a small and lighter device. But not here. I'm actually think that just a touch larger would be just right for me.

I generally have nothing good to say about iPhones. I like to give the owners a hard time because they often believe their device is all powerful and nothing compares. in other words, they are clueless. I have a few long stories about these clueless people. Anyway...A few weeks back a coworker that has a basic phone asked me what Android phone he should get. I actually, seriously, suggested an iPhone to him. He has little idea what an 'app' is. He may want to get email on it. In other words, his needs are very limited (good phone, text, email, maps, not much more). So I suspect he would be happy with an iPhone and never want to go beyond the limits they have put on him. The iPhone may be a better choice for him.

Last edited:

bogeyx5

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Tbolt and iPhone 4. I switched from Tbolt to the iPhone and it has its ups and downs as earlier posts have mentioned. If you have any way of trying both out for a few weeks, that would be my suggestion. I'll give you the main reason why I switched: it was free! I would've stuck with the Tbolt otherwise.

It's hard living without 4G speeds and a bigger screen but I can always switch back WHEN (matter of time) I get bored of the iPhone.

Rezound or Nexus would get my vote.