Possible Hotspot solution

nacpeye

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
After 7 months of dealing with the data drops on mobile hotspot, I think an answer has surfaced. The problem has been certain computer settings. Some people have had problems and others nothing. So that said to me that it may be a computer settings issue. I found a post on one of the general forums (for another phone) that had suggested optimizing the internet settings on the computer with speedguide.net/tcpoptimizer. Well, it works. Tech support now needs to add this to their guide books instead of changing phones (3 times for me). Hope it helps someone else out. Good luck!

Trentoncc24

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
What about if your not using a computer, what if your using a ps3 to stream netflix? How would you go about changing the computer settings on that? I have the problem no matter what I am using my hotspot with, and I pay for mine legally. I have the 4g unlimited hotspot that verizon let certain users sign up for when they stopped with the hotspot trial thing. I can tether a computer via usb just fine and not lose data, but when I tether via hotspot it drops. I have a theory, but it's only a theory. I am almost positive its not the phones fault, due to many people who have sent there phones back and got a new one that did the same thing. I think verizon does this on purpose with their hotspot app, but, only to certain users, such as the ones that have unlimited hotspot. They know that if it was to work perfectly, that many people would completely cancel their home internet and just use their phone to run wifi in their home, specifically the ones with the unlimited hotspot plan. The only explanation I have about the usb tethering working flawlessly would be maybe because they don't consider just one computer at a time vs. A whole home wifi to be much of a threat to the network. This is just a thought. I only think this because it makes no sense at all why this is effecting only certain users, and verizon has absolutely no explanation.

nacpeye

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I can only report my own findings. There are people that have never had hotspot problems and others that have, but only with certain computers. I have had the problem since the start, and like you, pay for it. I have spent numerous hours on the phone with tech support and the best, after many tweaks, was to get it to stay on for at least 5 minutes before cutting out. Some tech's have claimed that it is a known software problem that they and HTC are trying to come up with a solution. The above program has finally worked where I can stay on without getting knocked off for several hours. It's not totally fixed because I have noticed that it still drops, but nothing like it used to do. Just the fact that the internet settings can be changed on the computer, and that it stays on data for that time period, tells me that it is a software problem in the phone. And, my problem was with a wire tether or hotspot. Remember, hotspot controls both. Unless there is a way of changing the settings on the device that you are trying to use, you are going to have a problem until they come up with a solution. There might be someone on the blogs that can help you with that particular device. Good luck!

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
Interesting idea, but I mostly use the HS for my tablet and the drops drive me insane. Sometimes it's fine for awhile and others it drops right away. The only thing I have noticed is that if I switch the phone to CDMA only (at least when I did this last week) it didn't drop at all. So, at least to me it seems to be a 4G issue. Aren't other 4G phones having the same problem? I thought I read on other forums that all the 4G phones were having this issue, which makes me think it's a network problem.

Trentoncc24

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
That could very well be the problem. I have never tried with 4g switched off. I will try it and see what happens. However if it does work it will still be useless, being that 3g can't really stream anything well, but at least it may isolate the problem somewhat.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I believe the hotspot does not deal well with "iffy" data signals. Or transitioning between 3G and 4G and back. I don't think it matters if it's 3G or 4G. Or which way it is transitioning. Since, either way, it results in a temporary loss of signal, however brief. And I think that is what the hotspot has trouble recovering from. If you can mitigate the signal issue by changing to 3G, fine. That would not necessarily prove it to be a "4G problem" however.

-Frank

l0wr1d3r

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Using hotspot-linked Roku to stream Netflix. Have been rebooting the phone, which seems to get the hotspot straightened out. Kind of pain when you're in the middle of a HD movie, rebooting literally takes 150 seconds. Invariably having hotspot issues when I'm messing with the Preferred Network setting or toggling Mobile Network prior to enabling hotspot. Now I reboot after I change either of those settings.

Trentoncc24

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
So has anyone that was having trouble with the verizon paid mobile hotspot notice if the just released update truly fixed the data drops? My thunderbolt is rooted now so I'm not able to give the new update a try and I was just kinda curious if finally verizon decided to take action and fix the problem. Let me know how it's going.

Dcpmark#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I just use it for a short time on Friday, but I noticed a huge difference. Everything with hotspot seemed snappier, and the 4g didn't cycle once. I'll get to try it out for 8 hours on Monday, so I'll post my results then.

Dcpmark#AC

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, the latest update has so far completely solved my 4G cycling issues when tethering with my iPad. So far I've only tested it unencrypted, but I couldn't be more pleased right now. My only gripe is that it took 14 months since the initial complaints came out. That's too long. But thanks, Verizon, for finally making my MHS operate as it should!

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I dropped the hotspot on my phone a while back because it was so unreliable. My business partner picked up the 4G MiFi. It's just as bad. Whether we are sitting in a conference room or on the train headed to a meeting

Trentoncc24

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
It's good to hear it has fixed people's problems. I just don't understand why verizon would waste so much money swapping out phones for a problem they refused to acknowledge and then release an update to fix the problem months later. I'm thinking they didn't want to acknowledge the problem to avoid having to give people credits. For verizon to have such great rated customer service they sure know how to pull the wool over the customers eyes.

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Me and a few friends bought the returned phones for just that reason. Got them cheap, rooted them and never had a problem. It's always been software. Well mostly. But all turned out fine. Just never ran stock if we xould help it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez