Kickstand-Covered Spaker

rob22202

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
To me, it seems like a pretty bad idea to have the speaker under the kickstand. In the iphone vs thunderbolt video, the sound seems pretty muffled while the kickstand is retracted. Is it the same speaker used for speaker calls? Did the evo have the same design?

- Rob

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
If you look at pictures of the back of the phone, there is a small round hole between the kickstand and the bottom of the phone. What do you want to bet that is a speaker port? I wouldn't worry about it...

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
If you look at pictures of the back of the phone, there is a small round hole between the kickstand and the bottom of the phone. What do you want to bet that is a speaker port? I wouldn't worry about it...

Not sure. There's supposed to be dual mics on it. Could be other mic instead of a speaker.

Mustang7303

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I didn't feel like the audio during the browser test video was muffled. Try watching the 4G LTE TB Demonstration when they do voice & data at the same time, the audio sounds loud and clear.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
We know the speaker is below the kickstand. We saw this on the HTC TBolt vs Evo Shmackdown. We also know that every HTC phone made since at least 2004 has a speaker port on the back. To say that isn't a speaker port makes less sense than having a mic on the back of a phone...

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
We know the speaker is below the kickstand. We saw this on the HTC TBolt vs Evo Shmackdown. We also know that every HTC phone made since at least 2004 has a speaker port on the back. To say that isn't a speaker port makes less sense than having a mic on the back of a phone...

I, for one, did not know that every HTC phone made since 2004 has a speaker port on the back. I apologize for this obvious lack of knowledge. And the reason for a mic on the back is for noise cancellation.

anon(157335)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I, for one, did not know that every HTC phone made since 2004 has a speaker port on the back. I apologize for this obvious lack of knowledge. And the reason for a mic on the back is for noise cancellation.

You also want a mic on the back if you are shooting video, no?

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not trying to be an ass, just saying as someone who has used HTC phones for about a decade now, it seems more likely than not (to me) that that hole is a speaker port... You may very well be proven right. Time will tell.

phil1995

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Generally speaking, if you are on a speakerphone or watching videos, wouldn't your normally have the phone on the kickstand anyway?

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm not trying to be an ass, just saying as someone who has used HTC phones for about a decade now, it seems more likely than not (to me) that that hole is a speaker port... You may very well be proven right. Time will tell.

I took your post harsher than you intended. My apologies. You may be right, and as you say, time will tell. The big issue is how much time will it be. ;)

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
@DolfanCole You and ProffesorTripp both make good points, and the more I look at it, I only see one mic hole on the bottom and the Nexus 1 has 2 holes for the dual mic. I had completely disregaurded a rear facing mic until the video idea was brought up. Now the only question I have is what are those two pin holes above the dual flash? RELEASE THE THUNDER so we can solve this!!!!!!

Reactions: DolfanCole

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
@DolfanCole You and ProffesorTripp both make good points, and the more I look at it, I only see one mic hole on the bottom and the Nexus 1 has 2 holes for the dual mic. I had completely disregaurded a rear facing mic until the video idea was brought up. Now the only question I have is what are those two pin holes above the dual flash? RELEASE THE THUNDER so we can solve this!!!!!!

There's the simple solution. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress