twistedjustice81285

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a problem getting a proper gps signal on the tb. Google maps is not pinpointing my location - it says accurate within about 800 meters or so. It seems as if it thinks I'm right near a cell tower. I have all 3 options checked in the location settings. Does anyone have any suggestions?

rkawski

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
GPS on my thunderbolt is awful. Takes sometimes over a minute to acquire a lock. Once acquired google nav will frequently loose GPS lock. It's rare that the GPS will acquire in less then 30 seconds.

My dinc with no service and wifi only acquires location immediately as does my iPhone4.

This and other issues will probably cause me to return the thunderbolt.

dajogejr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
GPS is amazing on mine. Two trips with it and I gave my tomtom to my gf. Locks on quick and is dead on accurate.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

hcrspec

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not happy with gps on the thunderbolt. I keep using it with hopes that it will improve, but don't know. Was glad to see this thread show up and will keep watching for more posts.

AndroidXTC

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a problem getting a proper gps signal on the tb. Google maps is not pinpointing my location - it says accurate within about 800 meters or so. It seems as if it thinks I'm right near a cell tower. I have all 3 options checked in the location settings. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Are you outside to an open sky? Both of my Thunderbolt's have near perfect tracking to an open sky.

ak2j

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I am having similar problems with my gps. It shows my location about 30 miles north of my actual location. I love the phone but the gps stinks.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
My Sense location reading for widgets and such has been consistently accurate to within five miles, but only once (for five minutes, no more) on my actual location. I have very good reception all around the area, as far as both cellular and satellite are concerned.

Maps takes between ten seconds and ten minutes to find my location accurately (read: accurately), with around five minutes being the most common. Even while driving in clear, open areas with historically near-perfect reception of every type on my original Moto Droid, it takes quite a bit of time to get a lock. The "bubble of uncertainty" doesn't even come close to overlapping my actual location until it does get an accurate fix.

I do have the 2750mAH extended battery and case. Can anyone else confirm/deny these problems with the battery?

stearic

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
This isn't so much a problem with the TB, I remember reading this for the OG droid when it came out, people having the same problem. I think it's just the nature of GPS in smartphones that some have problems and the like.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This isn't so much a problem with the TB, I remember reading this for the OG droid when it came out, people having the same problem. I think it's just the nature of GPS in smartphones that some have problems and the like.

Agreed; that is to be expected, however these issues are (in my case, at least) occurring with greater frequency and severity than what I have experienced on previous Android devices, without question.

Edit: An OG Droid having been my prior phone, I can definitely confirm such issues, but again not to the same degree as my Thunderbolt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa