SD card could only be mounted as read-only?

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So the other day this started happening to me spontaneously, and has been happening once or twice a day now. Any idea how to fix it? It says tap to fix it, I do, and it happens, but I'm worrying my card is dying already.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just lost all my stored texts. Going into the Verizon store to see if they'll give me a new card. Hope this doesn't become an issue for more phones.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the card is experiencing some errors or a file is corrupted. You may have to format the card again. *This will erase everything on the card*.

Go to Menu>Settings>SD & Phone Storage. Then pull down the notification bar and tap where it tells you that the SD Card has an unexpected problem, while it is working to solve it, quickly tap Unmount SD Card on the previous screen a few times, this should allow you to format the card.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
*This will erase everything on the card*.

Go to Menu>Settings>SD & Phone Storage. Then pull down the notification bar and tap where it tells you that the SD Card has an unexpected problem, while it is working to solve it, quickly tap Unmount SD Card on the previous screen a few times, this should allow you to format the card.

I just tried this because I'm having this problem - and nothing happens when I tap on the Unmount option. Tapped several times. I really don't want to have to reformat! I've tried 3 reboots - error message still remains. Might it help for me to turn the phone off completely and remove the card and put it back in? BIG question there is - would I even know an SD card if I stared it in the face :( ???

Also, if I have to reformat - this means I only lose what's on the sd card - it doesn't affect what's installed on the phone? Aren't Thunderbolt SD cards set so that it belongs to you and if I reformat this will be gone, right? Seems like I'd have more problems then.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I just tried this because I'm having this problem - and nothing happens when I tap on the Unmount option. Tapped several times. I really don't want to have to reformat! I've tried 3 reboots - error message still remains. Might it help for me to turn the phone off completely and remove the card and put it back in? BIG question there is - would I even know an SD card if I stared it in the face :( ???

Also, if I have to reformat - this means I only lose what's on the sd card - it doesn't affect what's installed on the phone? Aren't Thunderbolt SD cards set so that it belongs to you and if I reformat this will be gone, right? Seems like I'd have more problems then.

Does the computer recognize the phone when plugged in? This was just an option for reformatting the card if a computer wasn't recognizing it. Connect your phone to your computer with the USB cable. Turn on usb debugging.. menu.. settings.. applications.. development.. usb debugging on. When connected.. from the pull down notification bar.. switch to.. mount as external disc. You should see the phones external drive (sd card) with the rest of your computers devices and removable storage along with your hard drive.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
if none of the above works, do you have an SD card adaptor? place the card in the adaptor and on the side there is a switch that locks and unlocks the card, just throwing that idea out there

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
It'd be interesting to compile reports of failing Thunderbolt SD cards. I've got my third one in from Verizon. To their credit, they've replaced them with no hassle. This newest one has been lasting, so far.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Might it help for me to turn the phone off completely and remove the card and put it back in?
Yes. This is actually the first thing I'd do. This is known as "re-seating" the card.

The card is actually very easy to remove/replace. If you can get the battery cover off you've done the hardest part :D

With the phone face down on a table in front of you, take the back off, remove the battery, and you will find the sdcard in the top right section. It has microSD embossed on it. It is under that label. Just use your fingernail to push it in and it will spring back out all the way. To reinstall it, just push it in with your fingernail until it clicks. Then, reassemble the phone, and retry.

-Frank

Last edited:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Does the computer recognize the phone when plugged in? This was just an option for reformatting the card if a computer wasn't recognizing it. Connect your phone to your computer with the USB cable. Turn on usb debugging.. menu.. settings.. applications.. development.. usb debugging on. When connected.. from the pull down notification bar.. switch to.. mount as external disc. You should see the phones external drive (sd card) with the rest of your computers devices and removable storage along with your hard drive.

Thanks for these instructions. Followed them and it will only mount ReadOnly. Computer sees the phone drive letter F Verizon Wireless but not the SD card drive like it used to.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The card is actually very easy to remove/replace. If you can get the battery cover off you've done the hardest part :D
You weren't kidding - really lousy design there.

Just use your fingernail to push it in and it will spring back out all the way. To reinstall it, just push it in with your fingernail until it clicks. Then, reassemble the phone, and retry.-Frank

Thank you. Unfortunately this didn't do the trick. Still in read only mode :(

In settings > sd card I can't get it to change mounts there either. Does nothing to tap that selection. Option to reformat is greyed out.

I can get a format option up in Windows Explorer by right clicking the drive letter. It shows the drive letter but no contents. I've not clicked format.

Interesting that Astro is still seeing the sd card ... ??? At least it says it does. Anything I can do w/Astro to help fix this?

anon(2632)

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
You weren't kidding - really lousy design there.

Thank you. Unfortunately this didn't do the trick. Still in read only mode :(

In settings > sd card I can't get it to change mounts there either. Does nothing to tap that selection. Option to reformat is greyed out.

I can get a format option up in Windows Explorer by right clicking the drive letter. It shows the drive letter but no contents. I've not clicked format.

Interesting that Astro is still seeing the sd card ... ??? At least it says it does. Anything I can do w/Astro to help fix this?

Try opening astro and tap up until you are at the top directory (Where the "sdcard" folder is). Long press on sdcard and tap details. what is listed there?
There is permissions and mine shows drw... (i am sure the r is for read, w is for write, i don't know what d is form)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Try opening astro and tap up until you are at the top directory (Where the "sdcard" folder is). Long press on sdcard and tap details. what is listed there?
There is permissions and mine shows drw... (i am sure the r is for read, w is for write, i don't know what d is form)
d means directory.

-Frank

Reactions: anon(2632)

russbird

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Read only SD card error on Thunderbolt caused by corrupted files

I suddenly started getting the read-only error yesterday, and tracked the cause down to a corrupted music file. I borrowed a friends micro-SD adapter (there are a lot of cheap options out there: microsd usb reader - Google Search) and was able to see the drive in Windows.

Knowing I would most likely need to reformat, I started copying the files. Selecting all files, I would get a 'cannot read disk' error, and eventually tracked it down to a specific music folder that had become corrupted. The file names had become garbage characters, and could not be read or deleted.

After copying the clean files to my PC, I formatted the micro-SD and copied the rest of the files back to it. Booted up my Thunderbolt and no more problems! The hardest part was getting the SD card to show up on my computer to format it.

Hope this helps and you are able to solve your problem! Not sure how the files got corrupted in the first place, but definitely planning to back up all data regularly now. :confused:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have to reformat my SD card. Sliding the lock slider to unlock solved my problem. I'm thinking some people may be reformatting when they really don't have to. Might want to try this step first.

Deb via TapaTalk