Occasionally, the phone drains extremely fast and Hot!

bigberries

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
This was not observered until recently and I'm not sure it's specific to the TB because another person in my office with a BB (we are both on Verizon) is experiencing the same thing (we sit close to eachother).

Now...

When this happens, the battery doesn't get as hot as the phone itself does. But, even my fully charged extended battery drains within and hour (usually lasts 2 days) and gets extremely hot.

The situation described below was also the case before this problem presented itself.
The phone service is and has always been very poor to nonexistent where we sit and we've acknowledged the poor battery performance as a result. This is different and much much worse. This has happened four times in the past two weeks.

The only commonality I can think of between me and the other person in my office with a BB is that we both are connected to the same MS Exchange Server. Mine with Activesync.

There is another thread that sounds like the same problem as mine (http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/77393-phone-getting-hot-draining-fast-3.html)
I don't think this thread resolved. I'm wondering if the observation that other phones are having the same problem would be helpful in thinking this through.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I get the same thing and a reboot seems to fix it for the time being, I am not connected to anything and it happens at random times, I even had it happen right after a reboot

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have observed the same thing, though not so much lately - a reboot seems to fx it, it seems to be something caught in a loop or a rogue process of some kind.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have the standard battery and leave my phone on 4G as it's covered all around. I'm usually able to get my phone through the day without a charge. However, I took my device off the charger about an hour and a half ago and my battery is now at 63%. I have no auto syncing on and I only checked the weather once on Weatherbug. How in the world does my phone drain so suddenly with no restarts happening?

That's ridiculous!

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
If the phone is hot, the processor is running something big, like navigation or downloading data like podcasts.
Check your battery usage display.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is hot, the processor is running something big, like navigation or downloading data like podcasts.
Check your battery usage display.

Not necessarily. There are times when i am doing nothing with the screen off and still hitting 300ma. Some rogue app or something.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Not necessarily. There are times when i am doing nothing with the screen off and still hitting 300ma. Some rogue app or something.

Are you in a 4G area?

I am and I see the same 150-300mA usage, if I switch to 3G (Using LET OnOff), drops to 30-150mA usage. Seems its the 4G for me, no any rouge app. I am in a strong 4G area in So. Cal.

dflores

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here. Reboots help most of the time, but not always. It never happens with LTE disabled, but isn't that the point of the phone? Anyway, it'll normally say something like "Cell Standby" and "System Idle" used all the battery. Hopefully this can be fixed down the line. It's getting pretty old.

bigberries

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the standard battery and leave my phone on 4G as it's covered all around. I'm usually able to get my phone through the day without a charge. However, I took my device off the charger about an hour and a half ago and my battery is now at 63%. I have no auto syncing on and I only checked the weather once on Weatherbug. How in the world does my phone drain so suddenly with no restarts happening?

That's ridiculous!

I'm going to pay attention to this. It's possible and interesting to me that the last thing I did with my phone after each occurrence of the problem was to unplug it from it's charger (USB to PC). I'm pretty certain that each time I saw my charge go to green and then unplugged it - and then burnnnnn.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to pay attention to this. It's possible and interesting to me that the last thing I did with my phone after each occurrence of the problem was to unplug it from it's charger (USB to PC). I'm pretty certain that each time I saw my charge go to green and then unplugged it - and then burnnnnn.
I believe Activesync is the common denominator. I have seen Activesync get "stuck" and cause exactly this. I don't know if it's a problem on the server side or the client side of Activesync, but it's a problem.

-Frank

Reactions: bigberries

abomb78

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have recently noticed that my battery has been draining a lot quicker than it used to. I received the OTA update about 2 weeks ago and initially, it seemed ok. But this last week and this week ive noticed that its draining fast. Enough to notice easily. Im thinking maybe its because my phone now stays connected to the mobile network all day. Prior to the OTA update, my phone constantly disconnected when I closed out of the web browser or tried to multi-task. I am not sure if that would even cause any difference or not with the battery, but I am just pulling at straws here because Im new to the android universe. I know that toggling between 3G/4G can drain the battery, but for the most part I stay connected to 4G all day. I love this phone, but I am really hopping they get all these issues sorted out soon. I will admit this phone, for how powerful it can be, has not lived up to the hype. Sure, its miles better than the BB curve I switched from, but for all the speed and hype this phone got, it has been a let down for many. Im not completly let down just yet, so long as we know this phone will finally work like the powerhorse its supposed to, soon.

PS: Im not on the phone all day constanly and only use it nominally (in the morning once to check my emails, around noon Ill check my facebook updates, etc, and bariliy use the phone all that much. Not nearly as much as many others do. I also reboot the phone at least once every day or two and leave background data set to off. Screen brightness at 25% and even dimmed more in the display options menu.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non