Sad goodbye to the Bolt today

lavrishevo

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
This was a sad day of only 8 days of ownership of my first Droid and such a great experience of Verizon's LTE network.

Long story short Verizon salesman lied about Verizon's coverage in Puerto Rico, where I live. Verizon used to be in PR but left a few years ago. Anyway, I was told that calls and data were not a problem as it is part of their extended network. Well 8 days later I go online to just check what kind of coverage I will have there to find out they charge $ .69 a min to both incoming and outgoing calls. I was furious of course as I am flying back tomorrow at 6am in the morning.

I spend so much time in the continental US that I really was looking forward to enjoying LTE data speeds. So, I rush to AT&T store and port my number back, then run over to the Verizon store and return the phone, the case, and the battery charger device I purchased. What an ordeal and all over misrepresentation.

Thanks guys for the short time I spent with you on this forum. Maybe one of these days when we move back to the states I will be able to enjoy the data speeds I have been wanting but until then I am back with the ole' iPhone 4 AT&T.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It is part of their extended network and they do not charge so you probably just did that for no reason sadly. They won't want you to use it more than service here though.

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Yup, check the fine print again. Most of PR is included in the Nationwide price plan.

Calling From Puerto Rico

Under the "Additional Roaming Details" section it states:

Most of Puerto Rico is included in the Nationwide and America?s Choice Coverage Areas. If you roam out of the Nationwide or America?s Choice coverage area, you will be charged $.69 per minute. Please use your device's banner as an indicator of your roaming status. Click here to view the approximate coverage areas.

potatolover1102

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
That was a hasty and poor decision I am sorry to say. You should have called in to double check before making such a large decision and switching carriers back. You lose all loyalty and benefits when you switch.

bman123

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you really jumped the gun for no reason. The bolt is my first 4.3 inch screen phone, I couldn't imagine going back to a 3.5 inch, retina display or not that's a lot of real estate to lose...

lavrishevo

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
This info your quoting is no longer correct. I triple checked and talked with Verizon global and I assure they are now charging for all calls in PR plus even calls to my wife on AT&T while I was in the states. The info quoted above was what the store reps quoted me yesterday then called back and said this apparently is no longer the case. All calls in PR. are now .69 a min and calls to PR are .20 cents a min. Total communication breakdown on Verizon's part. I do see in the fine print what you are saying but again this is not what Verizon global is quoting me. They also charged me already to call my wife during these 8 days .20 a min. I have no clue why they list this info on their website if it is no longer correct. Just ridiculous! Now I have try to get my money back for the fact that Verizon reps have no clue about their own policies.

Yeah, it sucks to go back to my old phone but I had no choice.

Last edited:

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
What does your roaming indicator say? I'd believe the website over any VZW employee. I can't count how many times I've gotten incorrect info from employees.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm from Puerto Rico and when I've gone to Puerto Rico to visit my family I've never had a problem with roaming charges while on the island. The phone indicates I'm in the "extended network" but I do have to admit that that data connection sucks when I'm there. For some reason, all I've gotten is 1x when I'm there. I do not know why. Unless they've changed their policy since April, there should have been no reason for them to charge roaming charges on your bill lavrishevo.

lavrishevo

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm from Puerto Rico and when I've gone to Puerto Rico to visit my family I've never had a problem with roaming charges while on the island. The phone indicates I'm in the "extended network" but I do have to admit that that data connection sucks when I'm there. For some reason, all I've gotten is 1x when I'm there. I do not know why. Unless they've changed their policy since April, there should have been no reason for them to charge roaming charges on your bill lavrishevo.

This whole thing is totally insane. I called Verizon Global back and I am waiting to hear back from them as their internal systems have conflicting information vs Verizon's website. If it turns out to be the case that I would not be charged I think I am going to flip my lid....

The reason I believed the representatives, although it appears that they may be complete morons, that PR is roaming and I would be charged is the fact that they told me there was already charges on my account for calling my wife on her local PR AT&T cell at 20 cents a min from Dallas where I was working. I'll let you guys know what they say.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, personally I would rather be charged $0.20 a minute to make and finish a call, rather than make a call that drops repeatedly for free. This sounds like a hasty decision over a rather minor and easily correctable failure in communication? You do know Verizon have policies for crediting back roaming charges if they were not clearly defined and explained to you, right? AT&T is no comparison to Verizon, and keep in mind that $29.99 unlimited 4G is not going to be around forever...

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This whole thing is totally insane. I called Verizon Global back and I am waiting to hear back from them as their internal systems have conflicting information vs Verizon's website. If it turns out to be the case that I would not be charged I think I am going to flip my lid....

The reason I believed the representatives, although it appears that they may be complete morons, that PR is roaming and I would be charged is the fact that they told me there was already charges on my account for calling my wife on her local PR AT&T cell at 20 cents a min from Dallas where I was working. I'll let you guys know what they say.

As you know, Verizon left Puerto Rico but they entered into an agreement with Claro in Puerto Rico and that is how Verizon phones get service in Puerto Rico. It will be interesting to see what you are told.

lavrishevo

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, personally I would rather be charged $0.20 a minute to make and finish a call, rather than make a call that drops repeatedly for free. This sounds like a hasty decision over a rather minor and easily correctable failure in communication? You do know Verizon have policies for crediting back roaming charges if they were not clearly defined and explained to you, right? AT&T is no comparison to Verizon, and keep in mind that $29.99 unlimited 4G is not going to be around forever...

20 cents a min to call from the states to PR and 69 cents a min to call in PR. A $500.00 + a month cell phone bill is not worth any network. Supposed to get a call later today as I just landed. Anyway, AT&T is by far the best provider in PR in terms of data and coverage but that is a different story in the states. Especially, when the towers get overloaded.

lavrishevo

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I did not get a return call as promised but I did call back. Verizon went ahead and credited me everything back in the form sending me a check I guess. The only answer I can get out of them is that it is always at least 20 cents a min to either call to or out of PR and if you end up roaming it is increased to 69 cents per min. While not a tremendous amount of money it would add up fast and is just not acceptable for my uses, which is a shame. I was really starting to like LTE. I was able to get my unlimited data back with AT&T, which is important as I am a heavy data user.

dcviper

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't surprise me that Verizon global screwed you like that. When I went to England last year, I was supposed to be on unlimited data, so of course, 20 minutes after firing up Pandora on the Underground, I get a nasty text from them saying my bill was >$100. So, after tracking down a pay phone, and getting everything sorted, they never tuned off the global data package like they were supposed to when I got home.

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't surprise me that Verizon global screwed you like that. When I went to England last year, I was supposed to be on unlimited data, so of course, 20 minutes after firing up Pandora on the Underground, I get a nasty text from them saying my bill was >$100. So, after tracking down a pay phone, and getting everything sorted, they never tuned off the global data package like they were supposed to when I got home.

So did they charge you? Or did they take care of the Bill?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana