Am I really the first cracked screen?

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
All right, sorry, I'm new, everything about this post screams, "F*ck you, newb", but hey, you gotta start somewhere.

Well anyway, on a college visit to UB (uni at buffalo) and I was sitting in one of those movie theater/auditorium chairs, about a foot off of the concrete ground. Long story short, phone slips, falls, cracks. Screw me, right? Owned this phone 3 days, just starting to love everything about it, my ballistic case (thank you forums for the case knowlege), comes tomorrow. Refused a replacement from amazon.

TL;DR : cracked my screen after 3 days.

My main question is I am relatively new to smartphone hardware, and would replacing the touchscreen/ digitizer be an arduous, confusing task?
This makes it look easy
How to Repair a Broken Screen on a Tablet or Phone | How To | TechNewsWorld

Should i do it myself or look locally,

If i just cracked the lens (backround full works,) do i also need a digitizer?

If i do it myself, would i buy this?
New LG G2 D801 D802 Digitizer Touch Screen Top Outer Glass Panel Lens Black | eBay

or this
Amazon.com: ePartSolution-OEM LG G2 D801 D802 LCD Display Touch Digitizer Screen Assembly Black Replacement Part USA Seller: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thanks all, Case is on the way for my useless phone :)

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
All right, sorry, I'm new, everything about this post screams, "F*ck you, newb", but hey, you got start somewhere.

Well anyway, on a college visit to UB (uni at buffalo) and I was sitting in one of those movie theater/auditorium chairs, about a foot off of the concrete ground. Long story short, phone slips, falls, cracks. Screw me right? Owned this phone 3 days, just starting to love everything about it, my ballistic case (thank you forums for the case knowlege), comes tomorrow. Refused a replacement from amazon.

TL;DR : cracked my screen after 3 days.

My main question is I am relatively new to smartphone hardware, and would replacing the touchscreen/ digitizer be an arduous, confusing task?
This makes it look easy
How to Repair a Broken Screen on a Tablet or Phone | How To | TechNewsWorld

Should i do it myself or look locally,

If i just cracked the lens (backround full works,) do i also need a digitizer?

If i do it myself, would i buy this?
New LG G2 D801 D802 Digitizer Touch Screen Top Outer Glass Panel Lens Black | eBay

or this
Amazon.com: ePartSolution-OEM LG G2 D801 D802 LCD Display Touch Digitizer Screen Assembly Black Replacement Part USA Seller: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thanks all, Case is on the way for my useless phone :)

Welcome to the forums.
Unlike other forums sites, we try to be a lot more welcoming. Everyone is new at one point or another. At one point Emeril Lagasse was new to cooking, and Michael Jordan was horrible at basketball.

To your question. From everything I have seen on other sites that tear down electronic devices, most cell phones are a pain because in trying to repair, in your case the screen, you have a chance at damaging other components like the ribbons and digitizers.

If you don't have insurance, I would contact LG and ask what they can do for you.

Hunan

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
If you paid for the phone with a credit card, check to see if the card has purchase damage protection. Many cards pay for damage within 30 days or longer from date of purchase.

Posted via Android Central App

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, amazon won't replace, but ill got to verizon tonight. If there is no avail, i'll have to bring it somewhere or try to do it myself; If i do it myself, my lcd seems to be ok, do i just need this? (real question, is there a digitizer included with this?)

Also, i heard i can still buy insurance if i can call on the phone? maybe i can try that, it's been 3 days.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, amazon won't replace, but ill got to verizon tonight. If there is no avail, i'll have to bring it somewhere or try to do it myself; If i do it myself, my lcd seems to be ok, do i just need this? (real question, is there a digitizer included with this?)

Also, i heard i can still buy insurance if i can call on the phone? maybe i can try that, it's been 3 days.

Well Verizon had open enrollment on insurance recently (not sure if it's still going on), but I doubt they would let you enroll if it's already been damaged.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Enroll over the phone. As long as you can make a call it should activate. But I would wait a couple months to claim, don't make it obvious.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
There was a really long thread in another section (can't remember which one right now) about buying insurance after you break your phone. I call BS on doing it this way! It is out and out stealing. Now the OP never said he had plans to do this and his first thought is fixing it himself so I give him props!

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I would NOT try to do it myself. It is NOT as easy as the videos make it. Those guys do dozens of phones a day so they know just how much pressure to apply, how much heat, etc. The curved edges on this glass and the nontraditional placement of buttons may make it tricky.

dc5_alex

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I also dropped my G2 and did my research. Apparently, some people on xda sent theirs in to LG and got the screen fixed for $105. I was still within my 30 days so called Verizon, got insurance, filed a claim the same day, and got a new G2 overnighted to me for a $50 deductible. I also did not call from my phone as most of the screen would not register my touches.

howie630

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
You really are the first person because I am the second person to have been sitting in a chair and have their LG G2 fall 2 feet to the ground and break and now Sprint tells me I must buy a new phone after purchasing that phone 20 days earlier or get it repaired for $200. I don't see how this special gorilla glass cannot handle a fall 2 feet to the ground and not even a hard hit. I have dropped wine glasses beer bottles sunglasses any type of glass you could think of the same way and that stuff is not bro that easily. It's very upsetting especially during Christmas when I have to buy gifts so if someone for LG is reading this please contact me preferably with a new phone my feelings are hurt

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on the angle you drop it at.
Glass is glass.

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux. Prepare for January 26.

niekamdt

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
There was a really long thread in another section (can't remember which one right now) about buying insurance after you break your phone. I call BS on doing it this way! It is out and out stealing. Now the OP never said he had plans to do this and his first thought is fixing it himself so I give him props!

No different than Obamacare. Just consider it a pre existing condition.

echochef

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
gotta say some of the negativity on this board and thread in general by certain people is BS. Just to say some of the people claiming their phone screen cracked outside in the cold is correct. I just today received my replacement for my g2 and am trying to figure out how to get my stuff off from my old phone with a completely unusable screen with a pattern lock. looking like I might be SOL. But, to back up what others are saying the night be4 last I left phone in car overnight got in the next morning and picked up phone and spiderweb crack from one end to the other. called insurance company and they stated that they are getting an increasing number of calls about this issue.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don?t know how cold it was but several hours at <32? causing damage to a phone sounds about right to me. It?d be nice if they were more durable but LCDs cracking in cold temperature doesn't seem outlandish.

gp8.3

YoungChopperSTM4

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I highly doubt that....you go into the cold and just like that the screen cracked.....c'mon....

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

It's possible, happened to my tablet (Trio Stealth G2 '7"), and then I read the owners manual and it said "keep out of extremely cold or extremely hot weather"

somenothingness

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I also dropped my G2 and did my research. Apparently, some people on xda sent theirs in to LG and got the screen fixed for $105. I was still within my 30 days so called Verizon, got insurance, filed a claim the same day, and got a new G2 overnighted to me for a $50 deductible. I also did not call from my phone as most of the screen would not register my touches.

Verizon would charge me $99 deductible for anything outside of manufacturer defect. I have had to replace mine 1 time for a failed KK install. But that fell under man. defect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress