Verizon LG G2 - Wireless charging suddenly stopped working

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I'm on here twice in two days.

So, I've been lovin' the wireless charging feature on my VZW G2. It's worked like a charm ... until last night.

I first had it on a standard LG WCP-300 (the little "puck") and it worked fine. About a month ago I bought one of the Tylt chargers for my bedside, and it worked even better (no fiddling to find the "sweet spot", and it charges FAST.) Never had any problem with either. Woke up this morning to find it had not charged last night. Fiddled around and discovered that I cannot get it to recognize that it's on the charger no matter what I do or how I place it. Same with the WCP-300. Very strange. I've power cycled twice, and still no love.

So, as always, thought I'd come here and ask if anyone else has experienced this and/or if anyone has any ideas about a possible fix.

Thanks in advance,

TM

p.s. - I've plugged it in and it's charging fine.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your charging issues. I have the Tylt and a puck in the car and both are working perfectly. I'd march into VZW and get a replacement.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your charging issues. I have the Tylt and a puck in the car and both are working perfectly. I'd march into VZW and get a replacement.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Just odd that this problem started all of a sudden for no apparent reason.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
They're great devices, but reading through the threads, others Have had issues. Sounds like you're among them.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

jaime1822

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Having issues here since the update. Phone charges fine with cord, but extremely slow on wireless charging.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Having issues here since the update. Phone charges fine with cord, but extremely slow on wireless charging.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

I've been hearing about "the update", but haven't gotten it yet; at least I haven't gotten any notification of it yet.

And my issue isn't slow charging, it's no charging. neither the phone nor the wireless charger recognizes that there's a QI device near the charger (i.e., the little green light doesn't come illuminate on the charger and the phone doesn't switch to charging mode.) It's just so odd because, as I said, I have not had one single problem with wireless charging the past 3 months I've owned the phone - until now.

Looks like I'll need to make a trip to the Verizon store, but think I'll wait until after Christmas. Nothing's important enough to get me to brave those crowds. ;)

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I got the phone on launch day ( I love it). I rooted about 2 weeks later. So that's close to 3 months with no problems. The about 2 weeks ago I had the same issue, would charge on either of my "pucks" (work and home). This weekend I wanted the OTA and flashed back to stock. One of the things I noticed was my "pucks" worked again. That leads me to lean towards a software issue as aopposed to a hardware issue. You might have a different reason for it not charging anymore but that's my story.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I got the phone on launch day ( I love it). I rooted about 2 weeks later. So that's close to 3 months with no problems. The about 2 weeks ago I had the same issue, would charge on either of my "pucks" (work and home). This weekend I wanted the OTA and flashed back to stock. One of the things I noticed was my "pucks" worked again. That leads me to lean towards a software issue as aopposed to a hardware issue. You might have a different reason for it not charging anymore but that's my story.

Thanks for the info, Mike. I got mine within a couple days of launch, as well (replaced the first one within 14 days but have had this ever since.) I never rooted the phone, so not sure that's the issue, but the timing of your issue is interesting. Think I'll wait and try the update but, if that doesn't fix the problem, wonder if I should try a factory reset. That's probably what VZW support will suggest anyway.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, installed the update, and still no love for my wireless charging. :( The updated did seem to fix an issue I was having with the camera, but not the charging problem. Guess it's off the the VZW store, oh joy.

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I should update this thread, in case anyone else comes here with the same problem.

So, oddly enough, the night before I planned to take the phone back to Verizon (after the holiday crush had hopefully passed) my wireless charging began working again. I have no idea why. I did nothing different. I discovered it by complete happenstance.

I have the Tylt charger on my beside table. Even after the wireless charging ceased to function, I unplugged the Tylt cord (replacing with the USB charging cord) but I continued to use the Tylt cradle to hold my phone at night (while I used a USB charging cable) simply because it was a convenient stand for using my phone as an alarm clock. Last Friday, our house cleaners came and - I later discovered - plugged the Tylt charger back into the wall. When I placed my phone on the Tylt holder before bed that night, lo and behold, it said it was wirelessly charging. As I say, I have no idea why the wireless charging stopped functioning or why it started again; for that matter, I have no idea exactly when it started again. If it stops again I'll let you know (and will immediately take it to the Verizon store.)

That's all for now. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. Best of luck all.