Note 3 vs Note 2

orporter

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from a note 2 to a note 3. Several observations. Note 2 reception is somewhat better but not huge difference in operation despite what dbm numbers say and I get by just fine. My wife's iphone 5 is better in fringe areas but not much. Screen is brighter and sharper. Both are great phones and I would be happy to still have the note 2. Some apps seem to work better on the note 2, like Redbox previews are much clearer on the note 2 while very pixilated on note 3. Maybe newer operating system 4.3 causes this or just some setting I have not found yet. However netflix is better on note 3, go figure. Google sky map is just a little slower on the note 3 as far as directions ie. North South etc. Overall a great phone, I am learning everyday some new feature. Enjoy all your observations.

Last edited:

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I still love my Note 2. I use it now just as a small wifi tablet/tv around the house or tether it to the N3 on the go. But my Note 3 feels faster, smaller with a sharper display, and I love the new S-Pen features. Having more memory though has meant more to me than anything! I HATED the 16GB that came on-board my Note 2, and then discovering that out of that, I could only use about 10GB was really an insult. I'm a ol' school gamer, so I need as much space as possible as the newer HD mobile games (especially Gameloft games) are easily taking up over 2GB a piece. So it is now refreshing to be able to put anything I want on the Note 3 and NOT have to clean things off almost daily in order to update other apps from the Playstore like I did on the Note 2.

In short, I can barely notice the .2" difference in screen size, but the Note 3 performs very well and the new 4.3 OS features are pretty nice too. Both are excellent devices.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you on the 16 gb storage problem. I was constantly removing stuff to keep a little room on the phone available.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Note 3 looks better, has much nicer hardware, has a larger and sharper screen, and an improved S Note app.

Note 2 has a better camera, better battery life, better stability, and better call reception.

Overall, I consider the Note 3 a step sideways, not a step forward. For me so far, the Note 3 had been a disappointment.

sent from my Note 3

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
How do you consider the camera to be better?

I'm not asking in a douchey way I really want to know

Posted via Android Central App

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Note 3 looks better, has much nicer hardware, has a larger and sharper screen, and an improved S Note app.

Note 2 has a better camera, better battery life, better stability, and better call reception.

Overall, I consider the Note 3 a step sideways, not a step forward. For me so far, the Note 3 had been a disappointment.

sent from my Note 3

This review is absolutely correct. The Note 3 is a disappointment. Call quality and camera are poor. Makes me question the glowing reviews/comments on here. It IS is step sideways, not a step forward. We will have to wait for a better phone.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
This review is absolutely correct. The Note 3 is a disappointment. Call quality and camera are poor. Makes me question the glowing reviews/comments on here. It IS is step sideways, not a step forward. We will have to wait for a better phone.

You seem really unhappy with the Note 3, why not just take it back or sell it? No need to be miserable with it.

I have not had any of the problems you have mentioned in several threads. Not saying you haven't had your issues with it, but instead of being unhappy with the phone, get rid of it and get something that will make you happy. Just saying.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have not had any of the issues mentioned either. I think the Note 3 is more refined than the Note 2. Don't get wrong, the Note 2 is a good phone but in my opinion, and my experience with my Note 3, it is better.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have not had any of the issues mentioned either. I think the Note 3 is more refined than the Note 2. Don't get wrong, the Note 2 is a good phone but in my opinion, and my experience with my Note 3, it is better.

I'm not sure "refined" is the word I'd choose. The Note 3 is an evolutionary step, IMO. The Note 2 remains a great device with great functionality.

Note 8.0

ScottGeek

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I am coming from a note 2 to a note 3. Several observations. Note 2 reception is somewhat better but not huge difference in operation despite what dbm numbers say and I get by just fine. My wife's iphone 5 is better in fringe areas but not much. Screen is brighter and sharper. Both are great phones and I would be happy to still have the note 2. Some apps seem to work better on the note 2, like Redbox previews are much clearer on the note 2 while very pixilated on note 3. Maybe newer operating system 4.3 causes this or just some setting I have not found yet. However netflix is better on note 3, go figure. Google sky map is just a little slower on the note 3 as far as directions ie. North South etc. Overall a great phone, I am learning everyday some new feature. Enjoy all your observations.

That's interesting the comment about Google sky map... I have and use both these devices... Google sky map... I really cannot see a speed difference. Testing being done will both devices running Sky maps and holding them up at the same time and moving them around... Seriously, I cannot see any more or less jitter between the two... I do notice differences in the screen color. The GN2 has a darker blue tone... Anyway... just what I see :)

~ScottGeek

AE335Unit

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I loved my Note 2. My Vzw Note 3 is laggy and often hangs. I've had to pull the battery 10 times. My magazine takes a full 7 seconds to launch with upward swipe. Camera is better in low light but is very slow compared to the Note 2. Focus is very slow and rarely gets it right on the first try.
I'm already on my second factory reset.
The only thing keeping me here is the beautiful screen. All luxury problems. Sigh. ......I feel better now.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
my view is this: note 3 camera low light is not as good as note2. note3 reception is not as good as note 2 . screen brightness while on auto and manual is way better on note3. battery life is better on note3 for me . over all to me the note3 isnt really much of a upgrade over my note 2. honestly if the screen wasnt so much better in bright sunlight or the reception was just a hair worse i wouldve just returned it and waited for the note4. in fact im really tempted to sell it for 400.00 or whatever and go back to my note2.

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
my view is this: note 3 camera low light is not as good as note2. note3 reception is not as good as note 2 . screen brightness while on auto and manual is way better on note3. battery life is better on note3 for me . over all to me the note3 isnt really much of a upgrade over my note 2. honestly if the screen wasnt so much better in bright sunlight or the reception was just a hair worse i wouldve just returned it and waited for the note4. in fact im really tempted to sell it for 400.00 or whatever and go back to my note2.

You know as soon as you sell it, Note 3 updates will roll out patching all these problems.

sent from my Note 3

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You know as soon as you sell it, Note 3 updates will roll out patching all these problems.

sent from my Note 3

well i can see a update fixing the camera . but i dont see it fixing the signal . and honestly the camera doesnt bother me its plenty good for what i do . now the signal is border line . not saying its unusable or anything like that but i run my business off my cell phone while im driving all over my state so signal is a high priority for me . i get dropped calls in places where the note2 was just enough better that it would pull through.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
well i can see a update fixing the camera . but i dont see it fixing the signal . and honestly the camera doesnt bother me its plenty good for what i do . now the signal is border line . not saying its unusable or anything like that but i run my business off my cell phone while im driving all over my state so signal is a high priority for me . i get dropped calls in places where the note2 was just enough better that it would pull through.

I wonder, are you using a case? I would never advocate not having your phone protected with a case but I wonder if a case may be interfering with your phone's signal.

Note 8.0

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I wonder, are you using a case? I would never advocate not having your phone protected with a case but I wonder if a case may be interfering with your phone's signal.

Note 8.0

I use the same case on my Note 3 as I did my Note 2 - the S line with kickstand. The Note 2's reception was noticeably better. And when you think about it, shouldn't these phones be designed so that you can make calls through a case?

sent from my Note 3

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Here's the Note 2

yjupuhu9.jpg

Here's the Note 3

pu3ehumy.jpg

:eek:

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics