Verizon Note 3: do I keep root if I update to 4.4

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if I update my phone to 4.4 kit kat when it comes out will I lose my root

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: do I keep root if I update to 4.4

I was wondering if I update my phone to 4.4 kit kat when it comes out will I lose my root

Typically, accepting an OTA will, at best, break root. I have heard of devices being bricked after rooting and accepting OTAs.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It is always best to unroot before accepting an ota.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I was considering rooting mine to enable some features on a few apps that need root. It sounds like I would be wise at this point to wait until Kit Kat is out before rooting. I wanted to wait until I knew I had no phone problems, and it seems rock solid. I guess it may take a bit of time after Kit Kat for someone to develop another root process but it is the next Android version to come out and it sounds like ti may be here soon for our Note3.

celticfdguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I would never take an OTA update while being rooted... unless after the update has been released and been tested thoroughly over by the folks at XDA.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
OP - as others have said, unroot first, then update. Highly likely something bad will happen otherwise.

Jim2112 - We're not likely to see the update for a while given Vz's track record. You can wait if you want, but you may be waiting a while. Either way, root will be re-established pretty quickly.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

If you are already rooted, I would assume that you will have 4.4 long before the update is pushed out from the carriers. That's one of the perks of being rooted.
I am still wondering if rooting my phone would void my EDGE agreement. Does anyone know?
There seems to be a lot less benefits to rooting with my Note 3 as opposed to the GNex.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
When = when the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comes out.

Well the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II got its first major update a few months after the note 3 came out.

Really, if quick updates are very high priority, then you should get a Nexus or if on Verizon a Moto x or droid maxx /ultra /mini, all of which had 4.4 pushed last year. Granted Moto update did brick some devices and the update was pulled for a while but I think rollout is back on track again.

Btw, if you think Samsung /Verizon is bad in updates, the HTC One x/x+ isn't even getting 4.3. The s3 which came out about the same time got 4.3 last year, even on Verizon.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The Note 2 only received an update recently because Samsung decided to skip over 4.2. I would expect 4.4 for the Note 3 before the release of the S5. I don't have any specific reason. It just seems like they wouldn't wait that long for an update that is essentially done already. The S5 hype machine will be in full effect by late February/early March for the update on the Note 3 to have any affect on the sales of the S5.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystalLewis