Verizon Edge users

anon(20073)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Edge and I'm kinda...eh, with it. My problem was I had purchased a Note 2 from Ebay. What I wasn't told until we got the paperwork rolling was I have to turn over my current phone. Well, that was kind of a rip off, as I paid ... I don't remember but I got a good deal off that phone. Having to just turn it over with no credit really hurt. Of course, from here on in, that won't be an issue.

Now, they made me a great deal though. I was on the unlimited plan and I had to come off that plan. Well, they offered me a 6gb a month plan for the same money I was on the unlimited. For me, that was fine, as I rarely used over 2GB a month...occasionally used 3. Now, I wouldn't have gone with it if I was a really high volume user.

That's why i bought a Samsung intensity off eBay for $10.00 and activated it on my line before trade in, then sold my note 2 for $240 (Only paid $106 for it).

4m0wagen

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if I return my phone to best buy within the 14 days in order to go to Verizon to switch to edge can I still use my same cell number

Posted from my VZW Note 3

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
In a few years carriers will stop subsidizing phones and the edge program will be the norm. I believe plans will drop in price and phones themselves will be able to be purchased anywhere not just at the carrier. Most carriers want to get rid of the brick and mortor and go strickly internet.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Uh, no. Verizon edge is post paid and fully uses all of Verizon. 4GLTE including 20x20mhz aws where deployed

Verizon prepaid doesn't have 4GLTE

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Yes it is prepaid..

Month to month, no contract...from Verizon's site.

Here?s how it works: Choose the phone you want and sign up for a month-to-month service plan, it?s as easy as that. The full retail price of the phone will be divided over 24 months and you?ll pay the first month at the time of purchase. If you want to upgrade after 6 months, just pay off 50% of the full retail price of the phone and you can choose a new phone and start all over again.

If you check the coverage map, Edge does NOT have the same coverage area.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is prepaid..

Here?s how it works: Choose the phone you want and sign up for a month-to-month service plan, it?s as easy as that. The full retail price of the phone will be divided over 24 months and you?ll pay the first month at the time of purchase. If you want to upgrade after 6 months, just pay off 50% of the full retail price of the phone and you can choose a new phone and start all over again.

Edge can't be used on prepaid

erepyvam.jpg

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is prepaid..

Show me on this coverage map where there is different coverage for verizon edge customers

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1396253909255.jpg
    1396253909255.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 58

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Show me on this coverage map where there is different coverage for verizon edge customers

where on this map does it say edge coverage? I don't see it? I have edge and have the exact same coverage I've always had with Verizon.

sent from my Note 3

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I was told by a Verizon rep that it's actually a rip off since ur paying full price for the phone plus on top of your plan expenses

Posted via Android Central App

This must have come from a private Verizon dealer (who up until recently had no ability to do Edge and are actually not Verizon employees) because the corporate stores would probably have said employees head if they heard him telling customers that.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Edge and I'm kinda...eh, with it. My problem was I had purchased a Note 2 from Ebay. What I wasn't told until we got the paperwork rolling was I have to turn over my current phone. Well, that was kind of a rip off, as I paid ... I don't remember but I got a good deal off that phone. Having to just turn it over with no credit really hurt. Of course, from here on in, that won't be an issue.

Now, they made me a great deal though. I was on the unlimited plan and I had to come off that plan. Well, they offered me a 6gb a month plan for the same money I was on the unlimited. For me, that was fine, as I rarely used over 2GB a month...occasionally used 3. Now, I wouldn't have gone with it if I was a really high volume user.

You must have done their offer to do Edge before your two year contract date, because unless you are already on edge they don't require you to turn in your phone unless you take the early promotion they are offering.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Also I just read the person claiming it is prepaid and has prepaid coverage. There is a difference from being on prepaid and monthly on a post paid plan. By your logic everyone that is out of their two year contract now only has prepaid coverage.....

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Be aware that Edge uses the prepaid network....it only covers about 95% of what the full network covers. Check the coverage map in your area for the prepaid coverage.

Some how you were given or read wrong information. The EGDE program is NOT a prepaid program nor does it effect Verizon's coverage, it's just an installment (payment) plan for these expensive devices that are on the market.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
where on this map does it say edge coverage? I don't see it?

sent from my Note 3

Ansa82 that is exactly my point to the person claiming verizon edge customers are on the pre-paid coverage map...

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Edge can't be used on prepaid

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/erepyvam.jpg

Technically...Edge is their purchase program, so no, you can' t be a prepaid customer and use Edge to get a new prepaid phone. But it is still a no contract, month to month plan. My wife has a Verizon prepaid phone. It is a phone only (imagine that, someone who wants a phone plan that is only for phone calls!) and we buy chunks of minutes or days. In our case, we buy unlimited use for $2/day where she uses it. Nothing for days it's not used.

My phone, on the other hand, is a Verizon n3 and I am a grandfathered in unlimited data plan kind of guy. When I bought the n3....of course they tried to offer me a subsidity on the phone in exchange for a 6GB/month plan for the same $30/month I currently pay for unlimited. Duh....NO

Anyway, as the sales chick (in a Verizon company store) was trying to make her pitch..I asked to see a coverage map for Edge customers...she showed me the prepaid coverage map, when I adked to see the coverage map for my current plan....bingo, a 2nd map with more coverage. ..especially in the Dakotas, Montana and Oklahoma.

After I pointed that out....she quit her sales pitch...and admitted I was far better off just paying the extra $400 for full retail on the phone.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

Right under the 4GLTE button is the prepaid button...push that and refresh and coverage shrinks.

According to the local Verizon company store...Edge customers use the prepaid system for phone and data. They do not get what is shown on the 4GLTE map as "extended network." (dark brown on the map you've posted)

Last edited:

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey...if I am wrong...fine, I am just repeating what Verizon (company store..not an authorized dealer store) told me.

I have no pony in this race...I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and could personally care less what coverage Edge does or doesn't get.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes prepaid is only 3g. But edge can only be used with post paid plans and all post paid plans allow 4GLTE, unless you have a very old plan like digital choice or something.

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes prepaid is only 3g. But edge can only be used with post paid plans and all post paid plans allow 4GLTE, unless you have a very old plan like digital choice or something.

My original plan was older than that, 2001 plan where I got 150 minutes (plus 3500 free weekend minutes) anywhere in the US with never a roaming charge + 1x tethering for $35/mo. Covered both digital & analog.

After a couple of years of that...they told me, they'd analyzed my usage and said I would be better off with a nationwide plan with 3 times the minutes for only $5 more per month. Of course, since I had NEVER gone over my 150 minutes...I asked how that would benefit me. The dude couldn't answer that. So I kept that singlerate plan with essentially free weekends and now 3g EVDO tethering until March of 2011 when I got a thunderbolt, first 4GLTE phone on their network, and had to add the $30 smartphone unlimited data and had to switch to the nationwide 450 plan for $40. What was it....3 or 4 months later when they dropped unlimited & went to tiered.

That is where I still am and I still have tons of minutes left over every month, but use 6 to 8GB of data/month and have used as much as 12GB.

And Verizon is still trying to get me to pay more for less.

Last edited:

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
The false information about Edge being a prepaid plan and having prepaid coverage needs to stop. It's the same coverage you would be getting on a post paid plan, it's not prepaid. If a Verizon Rep actually told you that, then not only are they stupid but probably should be fired. I highly doubt this was a Corporately owned store however, because that would make it 100 times worse. It's not prepaid. It's not really even month to month. You are not signing a two year SERVICE CONTRACT, but are agreeing to a payment plan. It's the same as AT&T Next Program, Sprints program and Tmobile, none of which are prepaid. Also their is no "Edge Coverage map". Their is a prepaid one, but that has nothing to do with Edge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez