Software Update

tino768

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting a message on Kies saying that there's new software available for the S4, but I haven't heard anything about it anywhere. Does anyone know anything about it, or is this a bug on Kies' part?

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Just connected mine to Kies...

CUrrent firmware version: PDA:MDK / PHONE:MDK / CSC:MDK (VZW)
Latest firmware version: PDA:ME7 / PHONE: ME7 / CSC:ME7 (VZW)

I'm updating now. I'll report back when its done

Edit: Kies doesn't tell me the size, or whats new. It is taking a little bit to download.

Edit 2: there is a tmpD385.tmp which had appeared when kies started "downloading file for firmware upgrade" and is now at 971,207KB in size. Progress bar shows 41%

EDIT 3: temp file grew to 1,825,955 KB, then Kies started "decrypting binary files"

Edit 4: I now have a I545VRUAME7_I545VZWAME7_I545VRUAME7_HOME.tar.md5 which is being flashed.

Last edited:

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
(sorry for the picture size)
Before...
2013-07-09%2009.15.21.png

After update...
2013-07-09%2009.59.31.png

Last edited:

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you noticed any changes (apps2sd)? Also do screen transitions and animations seem improved at all (in particular the dreaded Gallery)?

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Have you noticed any changes (apps2sd)? Also do screen transitions and animations seem improved at all (in particular the dreaded Gallery)?
Just got it loaded, and I'm working, so give me a few... One thing I did notice... see the "Secure boot status" in the AFTER picture? that wasn't there before the upgrade. Could this be the KNOX update?

EDIT: Yes. Apps 2 SD is there. I just moved a few.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
WARNING TO THOSE WHO EVER WANT ROOT.... DO NOT FLASH THIS!!!! See -> xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] Root for Verizon Galaxy S4 ***Updated 7/9***

The current method we had for gaining root, flashing alternate recoveries, flashing custom roms, etc.. does NOT work with this VRUAME7 ROM. So if you have root, or ever want root, or want to flash a custom rom, then DO NOT FLASH THIS update! At the time I am posting this, it is unknown if there will ever be a way around this, or if we will ever have the ability to root this or newer ROMs. :(

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Upload complete...

https://mega.co.nz/#!MUAFFJpC!JmndVBqnY2dlIYypzaaiLjCAzsYwJFjUNFN9oqZ7NAI

The enclosed .MD5 file should be flashable via ODIN, after unzipping.

Last edited:

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I did a direct update and not a clean install. So far lag is actually worse now. Ridiculous. I will wipe later and see if that helps.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I did a direct update and not a clean install. So far lag is actually worse now. Ridiculous. I will wipe later and see if that helps.
I updated through the Verizon update app and it's smooth as butter. No "hitching" at all in the UI.
Other UI things I've noticed:
-Brightness seems higher - can't honestly verify this one, but I used to keep mine at 75% and have had to turn it down close to 50% now.
-Status bar has transparent background on my custom homepage background, not just on the preloaded ones.
-New font setting for clarity in Screen settings. No clue what that actually does.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Direct Update is the worst way to update and i'm not shocked on the lag you might be recieving. when updates come a dirty install is never the answer. a format should be done every time

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
So I'm rooted running CleanROM right now, but I'd like to go back to stock and check out this update (I don't care to lose root). Would I just wipe, install my stock image from my SD card and then plug into Kies? Would that be the general process?

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I'm rooted running CleanROM right now, but I'd like to go back to stock and check out this update (I don't care to lose root). Would I just wipe, install my stock image from my SD card and then plug into Kies? Would that be the general process?

Once you install this, there is no leaving it. It puts a new bootloader on there. Until someone cracks this, don't install it unless you want to be stuck with it. You will lose root.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Once you install this, there is no leaving it. It puts a new bootloader on there. Until someone cracks this, don't install it unless you want to be stuck with it. You will lose root.

I don't mind losing root. I was thinking of going back to stock anyway. Just wanted to make sure my line of thinking would work by way of updating.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I don't mind losing root. I was thinking of going back to stock anyway. Just wanted to make sure my line of thinking would work by way of updating.

If you're already rooted and running CleanROM, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THIS!!!

There is a VERY good chance that a rooted version of this stock OS will be available to flash in recovery within a day or so. If you really want to go back to stock, that's what I'd recommend...that way you have the freedom to choose what you want to do later.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you'd ever want to leave CR for unrooted stock with a bootloader that can't be unlocked...but that's just me.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
If you're already rooted and running CleanROM, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THIS!!!

There is a VERY good chance that a rooted version of this stock OS will be available to flash in recovery within a day or so. If you really want to go back to stock, that's what I'd recommend...that way you have the freedom to choose what you want to do later.

Frankly, I'm not sure why you'd ever want to leave CR for unrooted stock with a bootloader that can't be unlocked...but that's just me.

This is really the first time I've rooted and ROMed anything. It's honestly more trouble than it's worth for me. My OCD is constantly looking for that next tweak and it was just overkill. It has gotten to the point of me worried about every little thing that I don't really want to mess with it anymore. I think stock unrooted is the way for me. So there's no temptation.

So is my method correct?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
This is really the first time I've rooted and ROMed anything. It's honestly more trouble than it's worth for me. My OCD is constantly looking for that next tweak and it was just overkill. It has gotten to the point of me worried about every little thing that I don't really want to mess with it anymore. I think stock unrooted is the way for me. So there's no temptation.

So is my method correct?

It sounds correct, though I've never attempted to install a stock OS via Kies on a rooted phone. I have a feeling that Kies will tell you if your phone is incompatible.

Once again, to each his own....it's not what I'd do.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for sharing this...I also posted a "PSA" thread to warn folks about the risk.

sox08

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I updated through the Verizon update app and it's smooth as butter. No "hitching" at all in the UI.
Other UI things I've noticed:
-Brightness seems higher - can't honestly verify this one, but I used to keep mine at 75% and have had to turn it down close to 50% now.
-Status bar has transparent background on my custom homepage background, not just on the preloaded ones.
-New font setting for clarity in Screen settings. No clue what that actually does.

what app? I haven't seen that before.