Just got the update? Problems?

Mtnpilot

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Finally got the update notice and installed it 4 days ago. No operational problems, and phone seems to be somewhat quicker. Only thing that I have noticed is that battery life has been giving me half of what it did before the update. I have wiped the cache several times, insured that setting were the same, but that has not helped. Going to FDR next if it does not improve in a few days. Battery life was great before the update, usually lasting around 30+ hours. Now I am getting less than 15.

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Finally got the update notice and installed it 4 days ago. No operational problems, and phone seems to be somewhat quicker. Only thing that I have noticed is that battery life has been giving me half of what it did before the update. I have wiped the cache several times, insured that setting were the same, but that has not helped. Going to FDR next if it does not improve in a few days. Battery life was great before the update, usually lasting around 30+ hours. Now I am getting less than 15.

How do you wipe the cache?

Posted via Android Central App

Mtnpilot

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
How do you wipe the cache?

Read BigRedGonzo's post in earlier in this thread on doing an FDR. Wiping the cache partition is one of the other options available instead of selecting FDR. Might help to clear up some problems and is not as extreme as doing an FDR (don't have to set the phone back up).

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys, I've been using TouchWiz since the 4.4 update came out. Switched to Nova today and... this thing is fast. Like Jimmy John's fast. Like who needs a S5 when you got an S4 without TouchWiz fast. It's funny that TouchWiz doesn't just slow down the launcher and home screens- I'm seeing speed increases in everything from chrome to the keyboard to the camera.

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
My data connection isn't as good as it was on 4.3. The wife and my two kids were eating at a restaurant and all three had a 3G connection and I didn't have data at all. My wife has the S4 on 4.3 still.

In the language section there use to be a Personal Dictionary. Now I don't have it while my wife still does (on 4.3).

Did 4.4.2 get rid of it or do I have something turned off that kills it?

Michael Daniels1

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had Google calendar sync problems ever since the update. My desktops will send appointments to my phone, but nothing entered on my phone appears anywhere else. The Android settings has the error message "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly". I deleted the google account from the phone and reinstalled it at someone else's suggestion, but the same error message appears. Any guidance would be welcome.

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Just did my S4 4.2.2 upgrade yesterday, and have to admit that I don't pay much attention to these things until I run into issues. The main thing I notice so far is that my Wifi downloads speeds have become brutally slow, by at least an order of magnitude. I read through this thread and have tried futzing with silly things like flipping airplane mode and Wifi on and off, and of course have cycled the phone a number of times. Any suggestions? I can't imagine this is normal and acceptable behavior...so I wonder what makes me special... TIA...

I wish I could offer a suggestion as to how to fix this, but nope. A couple of weeks after allowing the update, my wi-fi is still slow (compared to everything else in my house, as well as how it used to be). My wired download speeds are in the 50 Mbps range. All of the other wireless devices in my house (including my laptop which is all the way across the house from the router) are running in the 30 Mbps + range. My phone...2-4 Mbps. Except for this, everything else seems fine. Weird...

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't seem to have that problem. 5meg download on both phone and laptop. Upload seems faster on the phone, 1.4meg vs 1.0meg

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, my phone upload speed on wifi is the same as everything else; about 12 or 13 Mbps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes my phone doesn't want to connect to the data. Turning the airplane mode on then off seems to do the trick.

What a pain.

nrawhide26

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Got the update the day it came out and saw problems. Besides general slowness and apps randomly failing the biggest problem is the volume. I could deal with random apps not running because I have ADD and try and run things all at once and I'm constantly opening and closing stuff. Whatever I can deal with it.

But... I also have the Twittter problem that was mentioned earlier in this thread. I reinstalled twitter still having problems with the keyboard not going away.

But the biggest problem is all of a sudden the media volume does not work unless head phones are plugged in. Ive restarted and plugged my head phones in and out numerous times and nothing works? Would you recommend a factory restart?

Thanks

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Try clearing the cache before the full reset.

Power the phone down, ie: turn it off

Hold the up volume power and home button at the same time. When you see life let go of the power button and then after you see small blue lettering in the upper left hand corner let go of the other buttons.

Let it finish

Use the volume control to get to the clear cache line. Push the power button. It will do it's thing and wait for the next action.

Do this 2 more times and then using the same technique choose reboot and let the machine reboot.

Check and see if it fixed it. If not, bummer. You may have to do a full reset.

nrawhide26

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Factory reset didn't help. Twitter still acting slow and keyboard stays after done typing.

But the problem went away when I took my cover off. I have an otter box and I don't know why it started yesterday, but its working now. Kinda mad at myself that I didn't try that before doing the system restart.

Twitter still acting a fool. In general I don't like the update. My phone has been slower, programs crash more frequently and phone freezes.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, twitter messes up from time to time for me as well. I think it's a problem with Twitter and not kit-kat though, since that's my only problem as of late. The last update about a week ago made my problems and lock ups less frequent, but they still happen from time to time, and almost always when using the keyboard.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I know that anyone that has read any of my threads will call me a liar, but I am not a fan of FDR. I think that the updates should be built such that they take over properly and leave the device in a better state than it was before. That being said, I have been following a few different forums and always hit on the S4 Update threads and the vast majority of issues are corrected by an FDR. The iStuff has an advantage over Android in that the system is so closed. The Devs have to do things the way Apple wants it done and that makes for a much more stable system. It also provides you with with a very boring experience. Imagine your entire diet being composed of crackers that taste like the foods that you choose to eat, they all look the same they all feel the same, but they do taste like whatever they are supposed to taste like. You get the flavor, but he experience just isn't there. Android on the other hand is open and allows the devs to do what they will. UIs are open, data management is open and the list goes on... This is the experience that we Android users want.

UNFORTUNATELY, when that many degrees of freedom are given to the devs, programs become very diverse and some (even some of our favorites) can act up and/or cause issues. As an example, one of my favorite apps (Setting Profiles) used to not like another app I had on my phone and anytime an update came out for that app, I had to uninstall SP and reinstall. (That issue is fixed now.) That being said, when you do an FDR all of your apps have to be reinstalled so you get a fresh start. Some folks live by the FDR. They FDR before allowing an update and they rebuild their device after the update occurs.

Anyway ... although an FDR is not what anyone really desires to do, especially with this particular update, they seem to fix most of the issues that are created by the update. After the FDR, if issues still persist, then you have to begin looking at individual apps and that is a true PITA.

Sorry for the dissertation and good luck with the inevitable FDR,
BigRedGonzo

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I know that anyone that has read any of my threads will call me a liar, but I am not a fan of FDR. I think that the updates should be built such that they take over properly and leave the device in a better state than it was before. That being said, I have been following a few different forums and always hit on the S4 Update threads and the vast majority of issues are corrected by an FDR. The iStuff has an advantage over Android in that the system is so closed. The Devs have to do things the way Apple wants it done and that makes for a much more stable system. It also provides you with with a very boring experience. Imagine your entire diet being composed of crackers that taste like the foods that you choose to eat, they all look the same they all feel the same, but they do taste like whatever they are supposed to taste like. You get the flavor, but he experience just isn't there. Android on the other hand is open and allows the devs to do what they will. UIs are open, data management is open and the list goes on... This is the experience that we Android users want.

UNFORTUNATELY, when that many degrees of freedom are given to the devs, programs become very diverse and some (even some of our favorites) can act up and/or cause issues. As an example, one of my favorite apps (Setting Profiles) used to not like another app I had on my phone and anytime an update came out for that app, I had to uninstall SP and reinstall. (That issue is fixed now.) That being said, when you do an FDR all of your apps have to be reinstalled so you get a fresh start. Some folks live by the FDR. They FDR before allowing an update and they rebuild their device after the update occurs.

Anyway ... although an FDR is not what anyone really desires to do, especially with this particular update, they seem to fix most of the issues that are created by the update. After the FDR, if issues still persist, then you have to begin looking at individual apps and that is a true PITA.

Sorry for the dissertation and good luck with the inevitable FDR,
BigRedGonzo

I always tell my friends when they're shopping for phones-- if you just want it to work buy the iphone. If you like to tinker and make it "yours" buy the Android. I don't see either of those extremes necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, it comes down to what you as an individual want. Me? I love to tinker.

Pobguy

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
One of the good things about KitKat is that my S4 Bluetooth connection to my Prius now works flawlessly. Prior to the update, it worked erratically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87