Just got the update? Problems?

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Updated my Verizon S4 to 4.4.2 and since when I try to search in Twitter (and Twitter only) the keyboard freezes. I cannot close it, or use the back key or the home key.... I have to press the on/off button on the side to put the phone to sleep. After about a minute I can press the on/off button to wake the phone up and everything is closed and on the home screen. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Twitter app and rebooted the phone, no change. The keyboard works fine with Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. Also, when it is frozen I have received the "Twitter is not responding" and also "TouchWiz Home has stopped". Anyone else having this problem? I know, the fix is don't try to search when I am in the Twitter app LOL

I was having this problem as well, but the twitter app update yesterday seems to have fixed that issue for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Michelle Lovett

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Charging issues and overheating after update

Yes, Big problems! I downloaded the update. It install successfully, restarted, etc. Battery drained shortly after so I plugged it in. Came back to get it and it was HOT! It was in cool down mode. Ever since, terrible battery life and the only way to charge it is to power it off. This is bull! Same thing happened with my previous S4 after an update. I tried factory reset with that one and it didn't work That one eventually rejected every charger I had, including the factory Samsung charger it came with! Ended up having to get a new phone. Now this update has screwed this one up. I read somewhere about maybe the update capped battery usage and so that may be why it overheated. I don't know what the deal is but I think this is bullsh*t. Factory reset is a PITA and didn't work last time. Why cant they just put out an update that doesn't cause such widespread issues? :mad:

Ann Gray

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks but I installed the Twitter update, did not help. I did find out if I switch to TouchWiz Easy I don't have a problem but I don't want to use the Easy version... makes my phone look like I got it from Jitterbug!

Robert Osgood

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I had a whole different experience. I tried to run it at work yesterday but the data connection was too flaky. I waited until I got home and downloaded it via the WIFI and then ran it around 10pm. It said it was going to be 20 minutes So I went and did other things. When I got back after a half hour my phone was at the red Verizon splash screen. It never advanced beyond that. I worked with Verizon and then Samsung. This sucked up about 3 hours of my Saturday. They had me do full factory resets 2 times. Still no good.
They have to replace the phone. They are sending out another one. I will get it on Thursday... for a premium shipping fee I could have got it on Wednesday...this I thought was a really bad PR move. I am already upset that their update broke the phone, but they want me to pay 12.95 to get a replacement faster?? they should overnight it to me for free.
Verizon was the last one out of the gate for this update and they still got it wrong. I think its time to shop for a new mobile carrier.

Arc1775

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Only major issue so far is the battery drain. My wife and I have matching phones and it is the same on both. I had such high hopes as one of the major reasons for the update was battery life.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I had a whole different experience. I tried to run it at work yesterday but the data connection was too flaky. I waited until I got home and downloaded it via the WIFI and then ran it around 10pm. It said it was going to be 20 minutes So I went and did other things. When I got back after a half hour my phone was at the red Verizon splash screen. It never advanced beyond that. I worked with Verizon and then Samsung. This sucked up about 3 hours of my Saturday. They had me do full factory resets 2 times. Still no good.
They have to replace the phone. They are sending out another one. I will get it on Thursday... for a premium shipping fee I could have got it on Wednesday...this I thought was a really bad PR move. I am already upset that their update broke the phone, but they want me to pay 12.95 to get a replacement faster?? they should overnight it to me for free.
Verizon was the last one out of the gate for this update and they still got it wrong. I think its time to shop for a new mobile carrier.

I completely agree that they should ship the replacement next day air or let you pick up a replacement I store. But I disagree about Verizon messing it up. For most people the update went fine. I think, given the millions of variables involved with the update process, a small % of problems is to be expected. But having to go 5 days without a phone is pretty bush league.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Big problems! I downloaded the update. It install successfully, restarted, etc. Battery drained shortly after so I plugged it in. Came back to get it and it was HOT! It was in cool down mode. Ever since, terrible battery life and the only way to charge it is to power it off. This is bull! Same thing happened with my previous S4 after an update. I tried factory reset with that one and it didn't work That one eventually rejected every charger I had, including the factory Samsung charger it came with! Ended up having to get a new phone. Now this update has screwed this one up. I read somewhere about maybe the update capped battery usage and so that may be why it overheated. I don't know what the deal is but I think this is bullsh*t. Factory reset is a PITA and didn't work last time. Why cant they just put out an update that doesn't cause such widespread issues? :mad:

Because no two phones are exactly the same at the time of the update. Settings, apps, not to mention people who really tinker with root. It's the nature of the beast. Factory resets can be a pain, but if you cloud your contacts, messages, and photos, the only thing I have to set up after one is my home screens. It also ensures that if I break or lose my phone I won't lose anything.

mahler9

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
After Kitkat update I had very hot phone. So I followed advice here and did the reset option to clear cache (just that, not a full factory reset). Absolutely no problems. Wifi seems more stable, no overheating. Seems to be ok right now. For those who have not tried the cache clearing, I recommend it.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What's the 'reset option'?

My S4 has been pretty flawless for the past year before this update. I've now had some random reboots (never once before the update), battery life is not quite as good, have seen some keyboard lag (never had before the update), and the sd card crippling is unacceptable (can't save images from the browser to card now, can't change music tags/data for music on the card now, some lockscreen lag , lost mobile data for 30 minutes while in NY last week (4g was greyed out -wtf?, etc). Not a good update!

But I'm curious about this 'reset option' that doesn't involve a factory reset. I'm not rooted so can't clear dalvik etc...

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
for those who are having big time problems, i sympathize. I know 8 people with the S4 on other carriers, and they've all had small hiccups after this update, so I'm guessing it's not a verizon thing. only one of them had to get a replacement phone (sprint) and she got a brand spanking new one. and guess what? she had overheating problems the same day of getting it. unfortunately, it's the luck of the draw with ANY smartphone working properly, mostly in our favor. I had zero problems with 4.3, and none with 4.4, so I'm in the majority.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
What's the 'reset option'?

My S4 has been pretty flawless for the past year before this update. I've now had some random reboots (never once before the update), battery life is not quite as good, have seen some keyboard lag (never had before the update), and the sd card crippling is unacceptable (can't save images from the browser to card now, can't change music tags/data for music on the card now, some lockscreen lag , lost mobile data for 30 minutes while in NY last week (4g was greyed out -wtf?, etc). Not a good update!

But I'm curious about this 'reset option' that doesn't involve a factory reset. I'm not rooted so can't clear dalvik etc...

The FDR is very easy, just bear in mind that you have to set everything back up.

Power off the phone.
Press and hold Volume Up and Home.
Press and hold Power until you see the Logo, then release just the power button.
When you see some small blue writing at the top of the screen, you can release the other buttons.
Use the Volume up and down buttons to navigate the menu and the Power button to select.

BigRedGonzo

tarnak

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I found something the update appeared to fix, I can now text and post pictures from home, I have not been able to do that for many months. Never was able to figure out why, but on Sunday I was able to post pictures to Facebook and text messages. Its the strangest thing. No other issues have cropped up with this update.

Akshay Munshi

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi. Received notification about the update on Wed 4/30 and installed it that evening. I seem to lose data connection (3G as well as 4G) since the update. The only way to get it back is to turn on and then off the Airplane mode. Anybody with experiencing this?

Halcyon

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had zero problems since updating. I really cant tell much of a difference since the update. Only thing I am seeing is a stronger connection where it would be spotty in the past.

klutzykh

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
My messaging doesnt work...the messages wont send. I have to reboot the phone before the message decided to send.

After getting the update my phones battery life decreased dramatically. I was getting 22 hours a day and now I get 6.

Was told its not possible to downgrade to a different operating system. Tried factory reset and clearing the cache. Nothing is working please help.

Galaxy s4 on verizon

EnergyPlus

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I am amazed at the problems people are reporting. I I have had no problems including none with Foxfire. I minor issue with Smart actions but problem resolved one I reset it. Battery life is still Uncertain but I have been messing with it too much so that is certainly part of it.

jcalabria

May 1, 2014
Visit site
You may want to back up K9 (I believe it has a built in back-up function) and then clear data and cache or even uninstall/reinstall then restore your back up.

Shouldn't take long and can't hurt.

BigRedGonzo

Thanks, but didn't I essentially do that already by doing the factory reset, then reinstalling K9 and setting up my mail accounts from scratch? The K9 error message occurs the same way both before and after the factory rest and reinstallation of K9. I even have backups of my K9 account settings stored on Google drive so I can copy them from device to device, but I purposely rebuilt the accounts from scratch this time because I was having problems and wanted to start from scratch.

I suppose things could be worse... I'm not having any overheating or battery life issues as others are reporting.

badjujumatt

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Nothing but problems for me after the update yesterday morning. The battery is just draining at a crazy rate. Before the update, I would go to task manager and close all running apps, I would have maybe 25 running. Now after the update that has shot up to 45 or more apps running. I have lag time in the keyboard, connection issues to 4G/3G and wifi issues, etc. I am not digging this at all...

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but didn't I essentially do that already by doing the factory reset, then reinstalling K9 and setting up my mail accounts from scratch? The K9 error message occurs the same way both before and after the factory rest and reinstallation of K9. I even have backups of my K9 account settings stored on Google drive so I can copy them from device to device, but I purposely rebuilt the accounts from scratch this time because I was having problems and wanted to start from scratch.

I suppose things could be worse... I'm not having any overheating or battery life issues as others are reporting.

I hate that you are having these issues. I have used K9 in the past and never had any issues with it. Have you tried any other mail apps? I understand that you want to use the one you like, but just as a troubleshooting exercise you may want to try another. Kaiten Mail is based on K9, maybe give it a shot and see if the same issues exist. Are you having any other issues with the phone? At this point it appears that you may have an app conflict on the 4.4.2 platform. App conflicts are a true PITA to identify and the worst part is that order of install can cause issues.

Something else that just came to mind... Have you tried adding one email account at a time to K9. I like to change mail apps frequently. I guess I just get bored with one and I'll switch out to another, so I know how it is to set up accounts. I monitor about 9 email accounts and I have gotten to where I can add them to a mail app in just a couple of minutes and I never check to make sure one works before adding the next.

Let me know if I can help any other way, not getting email is an issue that nobody wants and I'll gladly help as much as I can.

BigRedGonzo

dashodude

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Just did my S4 4.2.2 upgrade yesterday, and have to admit that I don't pay much attention to these things until I run into issues. The main thing I notice so far is that my Wifi downloads speeds have become brutally slow, by at least an order of magnitude. I read through this thread and have tried futzing with silly things like flipping airplane mode and Wifi on and off, and of course have cycled the phone a number of times. Any suggestions? I can't imagine this is normal and acceptable behavior...so I wonder what makes me special... TIA...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia