Just got the update? Problems?

birdman

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Installed the KitKat update. The biggest problem that I have had is that NDrive GPS Navigation stopped working. When I contacted

NDrive support, they reported that NDrive Version 11 is not compatable with KitKat and that they are working on it.

I do not know why they did not get it working earlier.

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I had random reboots for several days after the install. Never had that before. That seems to not be happening now. However, I have had an extremely unstable, and often unusable GPS and Google Maps experience ever since upgrading. It tells me GPS Signal Lost, which I never got before. Last weekend, it would do that and reboot. Now it just tells me that and my Google Maps won't work.

Any thoughts? First problem of any kind I've had with this phone, other than kicking myself that I didn't get is sooner.

Please help.

bahgheera

May 16, 2014
Visit site
So after reading this thread, my question is this - how do I stop this from happening? I got my S4 back in Feb after suffering with a Droid X for three years. The S4 is perfect, it works and it works exactly like I want it to and I have it set up just how I like it. I don't want this update. I got the message saying that I must update and I told it to install later, at 1am, but it's still popping up this dialog wanting me to install the update every thirty seconds or so. There's got to be a way out of this. Please help, I love my S4 right now!

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So after reading this thread, my question is this - how do I stop this from happening? I got my S4 back in Feb after suffering with a Droid X for three years. The S4 is perfect, it works and it works exactly like I want it to and I have it set up just how I like it. I don't want this update. I got the message saying that I must update and I told it to install later, at 1am, but it's still popping up this dialog wanting me to install the update every thirty seconds or so. There's got to be a way out of this. Please help, I love my S4 right now!

Mine has worked great after updating to KitKat - apparently it's the luck of the draw, although I suspect the majority, if not the vast majority, of users are not having problems. Most problems seem to be resolvable by clearing the system cache in recovery mode and/or doing a factory reset. At least some of the remainder are because app developers have not yet updated their apps for KitKat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Cindy Wiles

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I am having nothing but problems. When I get a message, I can't get the screen to come for several seconds - black and won't even go to home screen where I need to swipe it. Overheats and response time when typing is very slow. HELP! what should I do??

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Throw your phone against a concrete wall, it'll feel really really good. :D

Two options, clear the cache or do a full reset. Well, three, have you rebooted the phone yet? Turn it off, take out the battery for at least 30 seconds and then put everything back and start the phone up again.

bahgheera

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies... I bit the bullet and allowed the upgrade. So far everything seems ok but I hate the new icons on the status bar. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I got my Droid X and everything was a-ok for the first month or so but they rolled out a software update and it never worked properly again for the next three years. I'm scared that I'm going to have the same experience!

ksb63

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
After completing multiple cache clears and two FDR battery life still half and volume still has a mind of its own.

Idahoktm

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
It appears that the KitKat update killed my SD card and with it all of my "Camera" photos. Anybody else have this problem? Any way to recover the photos from the damaged SD card?

rcca

May 17, 2014
Visit site
It appears that the KitKat update killed my SD card and with it all of my "Camera" photos. Anybody else have this problem? Any way to recover the photos from the damaged SD card?
You can thank Google, it's how they set up KitKat for using 3rd party stuff to go in our External SD card. Google's trying to discourage people with phones with SD cards and removable battery, that's what I read in the T Mobile review. Google wants us to buy their phones they don't use SD cards and removal batteries in their phone.
I'm sure somebody else will chime in for any ideas or correcting me.
I'm on my 11th refusing to do the installment Of the update.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
You can thank Google, it's how they set up KitKat for using 3rd party stuff to go in our External SD card. Google's trying to discourage people with phones with SD cards and removable battery, that's what I read in the T Mobile review. Google wants us to buy their phones they don't use SD cards and removal batteries in their phone.
I'm sure somebody else will chime in for any ideas or correcting me.
I'm on my 11th refusing to do the installment Of the update.

Yea, that's not accurate.

Posted via Android Central App

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried connecting the SD card to a computer? If the card isn't corrupted and you can access it, you may be able to recover the pics. Honestly though, I suggest using Google plus and backing up your photos to the cloud. It works like a champ and you never have to worry about losing them again.

ngerber999

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Like some others I was having overheating issues. In my case GPS was set to GPS only. After switching it to High Accuracy I am not seeing the issue anymore... Go figure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
To those of you with SD card issues, Google has not disabled the SD card and they have not hobbled it (actually they have a bit, but...). What was done was that apps now have to register for permission on the card and they are only allowed to use what they are registered to use. I use my SD card all the time and I have had no issues what so ever with my SD card. I have heard that there are several apps that have not been updated to access the SD card properly and so they make it seem as though the SD card was trashed. Hopefully, the devs of these apps will quickly issue updates to take care of the issues. If you have data on the card, you can place the card in a reader and attach it to a PC and get your data off the card, but you will still have to wait for the devs to update their apps for the functionality to come back for those apps. Overall, this was done to stop (or hamper) some malicious apps that were designed to mine data from your sd card. Now an apps says this is what I need access to and that is all that they get. This is good from a security point of view, but from a user's standpoint you now have to use default directories more than you did before. Anyway, I hope this clears things up a bit.

BigRedGonzo

k2ldc10

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Like some others I was having overheating issues. In my case GPS was set to GPS only. After switching it to High Accuracy I am not seeing the issue anymore... Go figure.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

My phone is overheating while using maps and high accuracy was already on. Any other ways to cure this problem? The phone keeps going to cool down mode.

angermgmt20

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
After completing multiple cache clears and two FDR battery life still half and volume still has a mind of its own.

Same here. I finally got the message to download the update. Now my volume is not as loud as it was. What's weird is when I initially hit the play button for the song, it is louder for a second, then lowers itself. This is not with the headphones. Haven't tried them yet. I did multiple cache clears, but no factory reset yet. Gonna see if I fully charge it after draining it down, then pulling the battery for more than 30 seconds will fix things. I've never done a factory reset and dread trying it and not have it fix things....ugh!

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
A factory reset is nothing to be scared off. Just back up your stuff as if your getting a new phone. As long as you let the reset run its course (no battery pull while it sets itself up) its fool proof.

angermgmt20

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
A factory reset is nothing to be scared off. Just back up your stuff as if your getting a new phone. As long as you let the reset run its course (no battery pull while it sets itself up) its fool proof.

This is my first "smart phone", and I've never had to back anything up before. I have never even backed up anything on my laptop....lol. When you backup your phone, where does the info/data go? All of my music/photos are on my SD card and I don't have many Contacts, but I believe they are backed up on the "backup assistant plus". How do you retrieve your contacts from b.a.p. after the FDR? I can just pull my SD card with no worries about that, just not sure how to get my contacts back. I can just spend some time during the weekend getting the rest of the phone back to where I want it. Just want to know I can get my Contacts back and do you have to install KitKat again after the FDR? Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174