[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

becgmarshall

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I have Nationwide Talk Unlimited with one smart phone that has been month to month for nine months. Unfortunately, I only have one phone on this plan. I had an old Motorola flip phone on the plan, but dropped it six months ago. Could I re-add the basic Motorola and then do as listed above?

zodogg34

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I haven't had a problem calling. Just say your having problem activating. Alternatively if you have an extra 4g SIM card you try swapping it out other report that it clears this problem.

Posted via Android Central App

The sim cards in the rezound and GS4 are different sizes, so swapping them didn't work.
I ended up calling and had no problem. I checked today and my unlimited data is still there. I still haven't gotten my email for my $50 mail in rebate though, so I may have to call them again.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I have Nationwide Talk Unlimited with one smart phone that has been month to month for nine months. Unfortunately, I only have one phone on this plan. I had an old Motorola flip phone on the plan, but dropped it six months ago. Could I re-add the basic Motorola and then do as listed above?

You could just start a new plan on the same account and get a new phone at the subsidized price. Then put the Motorola flip phone on that new line freeing up the new phone. Then put that new phone on your primary unlimited line. You will still be paying monthly service on the flip phone but at the cheaper non-data rate which is fine you need it perhaps for a child or parents/in-laws. Although I don't have first hand experience with it others on this forum have described having Verizon put a dummy MEID number on that second line so there is no actual phone but just to keep the account open to get price down at $10/mo. Or you can buy a phone at full price and do installment payments on it. Many Verizon reps will try to tell you that you don't need unlimited data, you don't use that much data but in a year or two when LTE-Advanced comes out with 150 megabits/s download speeds you could burn through that data cap pretty fast.

becgmarshall

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

Sounds great! Thank you for the advice. I can't pony up $700 for a full cost phone right now, and I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to get a better phone for a reasonable price. I have been with Verizon since it was Houston Cellular and got spoiled to the phone credits they gave you every 6 months. I bought myDroid Razor for $50 - it is being held together with duct tape. I almost bought a used Iphone 4s for around $300, but would really like something newer and I prefer Android. I don't keep up with the technology updates, so I didn't realize that a new network was coming. I currently use around 750 megs, but that is because my phone is so crappy. I figured I will double or triple that with a newer phone. I REALLY appreciate your help.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

If getting the latest doesn't matter that much to you you can get a good deal on eBay or Craig's list. For a 4G phone depending on where you live S3's go from $200 to $250, Galaxy Nexus go for $100 to 190. Just make sure has good MEID. On Craig's list meet them at Verizon store and have CSR make sure it can be activated, or just go ahead and activate it right there and then.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If getting the latest doesn't matter that much to you you can get a good deal on eBay or Craig's list. For a 4G phone depending on where you live S3's go from $200 to $250, Galaxy Nexus go for $100 to 190. Just make sure has good MEID. On Craig's list meet them at Verizon store and have CSR make sure it can be activated, or just go ahead and activate it right there and then.

Imo, if you don't mind a bit of work, get the Dna for $300 NEW off contract, if you signed up for the gc.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

dwane_m

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

This process is still alive, I just completed it today. My local Radio Shack guy took care of everything with Verizon CS while I waited. The VZ guy assured me it will stick and not change after the next billing cycle. The RS guy was well aware of the process but still contacted VZ to make sure it still worked. It only took ten minutes.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

This process is still alive, I just completed it today. My local Radio Shack guy took care of everything with Verizon CS while I waited. The VZ guy assured me it will stick and not change after the next billing cycle. The RS guy was well aware of the process but still contacted VZ to make sure it still worked. It only took ten minutes.

Good to hear. Thanks for update. What did you do with secondary line? Use a dummy ESN number and get rate to $10/mo or put a feature phone on it?

bmidd

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Just ordered a Note 2. Online rep was very helpful and said to just activate on the dumb phone line and then switch it to my unlimited. Took screen shots too!!!

clinto45

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

Hello guys sorry if this questions has already been answered. I have 2 lines on my account and the only line that has a upgrade available is my line ( which has unlimited data). And the other line is a spare dumb phone. If I transfer my upgrade to the dumb line and process the upgrade then get the phone activate it on the dumb phone line and then back to my line with the unlimited data will this work? The transfer upgrade option is showing up for me I just wanted to make sure before I process the order. Thanks!

dwane_m

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

I must give credit where credit is due. Radio Shack went above and beyond normal service to help me out. This guy knew his stuff. I in turn purchased extra accessories that I normally get on Amazon for more than half the cost in support.

Bigwavedave25

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

I must give credit where credit is due. Radio Shack went above and beyond normal service to help me out. This guy knew his stuff. I in turn purchased extra accessories that I normally get on Amazon for more than half the cost in support.

That is awesome!

So far I have not had the same luck in this process, haven't found a helpful CSR yet. I recently added the extra dumb line and reactivated my ole LG Dare, everything good there so far. My GNex's upgrade doesn't go live until mid August, but I want to take advantage of the deal Target has right now on the iPhone5 for my wife (birthday). I asked the mobile rep at Target if I could just do the trade in and buy the 5 on line "X" but not activate it in the store, do it later etc. He told me they had to activate it there in store with a VZ rep on the phone to confirm everything. So similar to your deal at Radio Shack. My question is, once they activate the smartphone on the dumbphone line will I then be forced to start paying an extra $30/mo (contract?) on that line for data, or will it just be pro-rated or only for a single month since I will immediately be reactivating the dumbphone on that line? Thanks in advance for shedding any light on this for me!

dwane_m

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Mine was not actually activated on the dumb phone line. It was purchased on that line, a $30 data plan added. Then the CSR swapped the phones with the dumb going back to its original #, dropping that data plan that was added. The new smartphone was activated once it was place back on the unlimited data line.

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

One last question and I think I'm ready to give this a go...

I have a single line now (S3 with unlimited data, with no upgrade until 7/4/14)...I'm ready to get a subsidized S4 on a new line, then switch the S4 back to the S3 unlimited line, and then put an old feature phone on the "new" line. My questions are:

1. What will the price of the new phone line drop to when I switch back to an old feature (non-smartphone)? I keep hearing $10, but is that correct?

2. Is it possible to put the new line on a MEID or dummy status and actually have no phone on that line? Or should I keep some kind of phone on that line so I have upgrade options every year?

3. If I do get a new line and do the switch, wait 24 hours? Will I need to switch the SIM card out of my S3 to the S4 or get a new one?

Thanks in advance for your willingness to help a girl out! This forum is great!!!

P.S. Just did an online chat with VZW,,,,I'm screwed - if I add another phone line (even with a feature phone, it will cost another $30 per month). I could see spending $10, but not $30... Here's the info from the chat:

Get Data to share and Unlimited Talk and Text your way. Share Everything lets you match your plan with your lifestyle and devices.
Learn more.

Your current plan is no longer available based on the devices you've selected. Please select from the new plan options.

You currently have an Unlimited Data package on one or more lines on your account. The Unlimited Data package is no longer available. To continue, please select a new Data Option for all of the lines on your plan. You will not be able to go back to your current Unlimited Data package.

Your Devices

Here are the devices on your plan

4G Smartphone
$40.00 per month

Basic Phone

$30.00 per month

Last edited:

Bigwavedave25

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Mine was not actually activated on the dumb phone line. It was purchased on that line, a $30 data plan added. Then the CSR swapped the phones with the dumb going back to its original #, dropping that data plan that was added. The new smartphone was activated once it was place back on the unlimited data line.
Ok, no data contract was required at the time because the phone was not activated on the dumbline. So, I basically need to get lucky with the CSR from VZ that Target calls and ask them to swap the phones for me at that time..? Ask pretty please :)
I'm worried that I will be forced to activate the new phone on the dumb line before I can leave with it. If so, does anyone know if that will turn the dumbline into a "2 yr data contract" (because of purchasing the subsidized phone on it) or would it still be month to month with the data adder until I swap the phones back? Sorry for basically asking again, but my initial legwork talking to Vz CSR's and the Target mobile guys has not left me feeling to sure about how this is all going to go down.

Bigwavedave25

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

P.S. Just did an online chat with VZW,,,,I'm screwed - if I add another phone line (even with a feature phone, it will cost another $30 per month). I could see spending $10, but not $30... Here's the info from the chat:

Get Data to share and Unlimited Talk and Text your way. Share Everything lets you match your plan with your lifestyle and devices.
Learn more.
Your current plan is no longer available based on the devices you've selected. Please select from the new plan options.
You currently have an Unlimited Data package on one or more lines on your account. The Unlimited Data package is no longer available. To continue, please select a new Data Option for all of the lines on your plan. You will not be able to go back to your current Unlimited Data package.

Sorry, I'm still in the middle of this so I can't help with the first set of instructions but I had the exact same thing happen when I first called to add the "dumbphone" line. I would advise you to call a CSR and forget the chat. The first CSR I talked to told me the same thing, our unlimited plan is not offered any longer and I would have to start a new line at $30/mo. I told her that's not what I wanted and she connected me to someone in "TeleSales". This person immediately said he could add me a basic line that would source minutes from our existing talk plan it would be $9.99/mo and no contract since I was supplying the phone. But he first had to set it up as an Individual line (the $30/mo thing) because TeleSales does not have access to edit the "old" plans. So he had to transfer me back to a CSR and they were able to combine the "new individual line" into our existing 700min talk plan. A little hectic at times but I was able to verify with the last CSR that this didn't affect my other 2 unlimited data lines and it was indeed $10/mo with no contract.

So, just call them and tell them exactly what you want. :)

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, I'm still in the middle of this so I can't help with the first set of instructions but I had the exact same thing happen when I first called to add the "dumbphone" line. I would advise you to call a CSR and forget the chat. The first CSR I talked to told me the same thing, our unlimited plan is not offered any longer and I would have to start a new line at $30/mo. I told her that's not what I wanted and she connected me to someone in "TeleSales". This person immediately said he could add me a basic line that would source minutes from our existing talk plan it would be $9.99/mo and no contract since I was supplying the phone. But he first had to set it up as an Individual line (the $30/mo thing) because TeleSales does not have access to edit the "old" plans. So he had to transfer me back to a CSR and they were able to combine the "new individual line" into our existing 700min talk plan. A little hectic at times but I was able to verify with the last CSR that this didn't affect my other 2 unlimited data lines and it was indeed $10/mo with no contract.

Thank you for the heads up! Will give them a call - no luck there, I'll try popping into a VZW store. My question is though - if your new plan sources minutes from your existing plan and has no contract, how would that be beneficial for upgrades moving forward? I'm looking to get the the subsidized S4 and then revert to a dumb phone line, so if you have to technically activate the S4 prior to moving it back to the line with unlimited data, wouldn't that line have it's own contract regardless of the phone on it?

This is so darned confusing...the hoops they make us jump through are ridiculous!!!!

Can you keep us posted on how this turns out for you?

Last edited:

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Dwane - did you already have an existing dummy line or did you have to add one? That seems to be where the real question lies...

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

BigWaveDave25 - just got off phone with two different VZW reps - this is NO GO. The only plan they can do for me is a loyalty plan with a 1 year contract for $35.00/month...a bunch of plans changed as of July 1. Since I only had an individual plan, there appears to be NO WAY to add an additional line, thus no way to pull an upgrade off. This clinches it for me with Verizon...I am going to switch carriers when my contract is up next year.

I need to sit down and do the math...I was told I could cancel my contract for $240...might be worth it to just be done with Verizon once and for all!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer