Secondary ETFs, Verizon, and 3rd party Dealers

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hoping Dpham00 and others can advise.

I am thinking about assuming a line from someone that's also agreed to throw in a phone as part of the deal. I've done AOLs (assumption of liabilities) before, but this one has a twist.

He got the device and contract from a 3rd Party dealer and apparently there is a 210 provision in the terms that prevents him from canceling the contract or removing the data plan for 210 days. The ETF is up to $600. I am assuming Verizon's is $350 and the secondary ETF is $250.

I know Verizon won't care what I do with the line, as long as I keep it active, but I am concerned about the secondary ETF.

I told him to check with the 3rd party dealer and then recheck to be sure. Obviously, I don't want either of us to be on the hook for anything, but if I assume the line and then remove the data plan, or even cancel the line, can the 3rd Party vendor come after me or would they come after him?

My guess is that they would come after him, since he was the one that bought the phone from them.
Obviously, Verizon can still hit me with the primary ETF, since I am agreeing to take over their contract with the original customer, but I really don't want to have any problems with a 3rd Party retailer either.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Whatever agreement was made between the original owner and a third party retailer is of no concern to Verizon. And your deal is only with Verizon and the original owner. Do you won't be responsible for any charges which the original owner incurs.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
That's what I thought. Basically, I needed a line and he wanted to drop VZW completely. He was willing to include a 3 month old mint Iphone 5C as part of the deal and was happy because he said his ETF if he canceled within 210 days was $600. I advised him to check with the 3rd Party Retailer before we did anything to see what they would say, since I told him $350 of the ETF was from Verizon and the $250 difference was probably from Wireless Zone.

He thanked me and called the dealer and was told that, since the line was being transferred and not terminated, the $600 ETF would not apply. The dealer also advised only one EFT applies under this contract: $350 through the first 210 days of the contract and thereafter, for each month, the EFT is reduced by $10.

I also called Wireless Zone for the heck of it and was told basically the same thing. Obviously, the Verizon ETF is reduced $10 for every month of service immediately, and not after a 210 days.

He's happy to be done with Verizon and I am happy to get a line with a nice phone for free. At the same time, he only completed 3 months of the contract. I will obviously keep the line longer than 3 months, but I'm using it for a basic phone and will be removing the data plan immediately---I have a legacy Nationwide 550 minute plan.

I don't want him to get screwed if the manager was wrong and Wireless Zone tries to charge him for not keeping the contract or the data plan---if that was part of it too.

Likewise, I can't imagine Wireless Zone would or could come after me. The actual Verizon ETF is $320 and there are 21 months left on the contract. He's a nice guy and I hope the manager he spoke to is 100% correct, but I'd hate for him to get stuck with any charges.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that Verizon could rightfully charge you is the etf. I couldn't find any information on a secondary etf from wireless zone

Typically the secondary etf is for 181 days and is $400.

Also perhaps I am understanding it incorrectly, but are you saying that you are planning to remove the data package from the UDP line?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The only thing that Verizon could rightfully charge you is the etf. I couldn't find any information on a secondary etf from wireless zone

Typically the secondary etf is for 181 days and is $400.

Also perhaps I am understanding it incorrectly, but are you saying that you are planning to remove the data package from the UDP line?

I really don't have any experience with Wireless Zone, but I thought I remember reading about secondary ETFs from them before. It's one of the reasons I only recommend buying from Best Buy, Costco, or Verizon corportate, which I prefer personally.

He did mention, prior to the transfer, he knew that even if he had to pay the full $600 he would still save money by canceling the contract and moving to a cheaper plan/provider.

The line had a 2 gb data plan, so losing unlimited was not an issue. It's a potentially sweet deal for me. I needed a basic line to add to my family share plan, if I want to attempt any upgrade transfers to keep unlimited data on other lines.

I added the line to my Nationwide 550 plan for $9.99 It's a little less than $13 after tax. $13 x 21 months = around $273
The Iphone 5C 32 GB is near mint and of equal or greater value.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I see, so you assumed liability of a family plan with two lines of service. How much did you pay?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I see, so you assumed liability of a family plan with two lines of service. How much did you pay?

Sorry for the confusion. I already have a Nationwide 550 minute plan with 4 lines that have unlimited data. I wanted a 5th line again, to use for upgrade transfers.

I only assumed one line and paid nothing. 21 months was a bit longer than I wanted, but the phone should be decent and I could use it on one of my unlimited lines, while keeping a basic line on the actual line I assumed.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the confusion. I already have a Nationwide 550 minute plan with 4 lines that have unlimited data. I wanted a 5th line again, to use for upgrade transfers.

I only assumed one line and paid nothing. 21 months was a bit longer than I wanted, but the phone should be decent and I could use it on one of my unlimited lines, while keeping a basic line on the actual line I assumed.

Thanks for the clarification. The deal seems to work out good for both of you.