VZW Mobile Hotspot for Those With Unlimited Data

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I have just received two conflicting answers from Big Red CSRs....yeah like that is a surprise...but has anyone tried to put a mobile hot spot on their phone who has the grandfathered unlimited data plan? One CSR told me I could a mobile hot spot for $20 and keep unlimited data, while another just told me that adding a hot spot would AUTOMATICALLY change my data plan back to a minimum of 2gb.

I'm sure the truth is somewhere in between, but you can never trust anything a VZW CSR tells you. I prefer to deal with them by chat, so that I can print out a transcript at the end of each one for future reference.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the option to add mobile hotspot. It is $30. I do not expect to lose unlimited if I used it. I just use Foxfi on my phone.

uploadfromtaptalk1426356933627.jpg

AspenQn

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Mr. Toad, did you pull this screenshot off your VZW account page or from your phone? I want to print the same thing out from my account to take into the VZW store when I upgrade to my new phone next month.

jlinz

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I have UDP and added the mobile hotspot feature a couple of months ago when foxfi kept acting up on me. It had no effect on my plan. However, to add it I had to use the Verizon app on my phone from the screen Mr. Toad posted. Tried going through Verizon online, but it kept telling me I would have to change my plan if I wanted to change any features.

I would not suggest talking to a rep as they are notorious for messing up people's UDP. Just add it from your phone.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Mr. Toad, did you pull this screenshot off your VZW account page or from your phone? I want to print the same thing out from my account to take into the VZW store when I upgrade to my new phone next month.
It is from the app. Why are you involving the store? You can add this feature directly from the app. You have to be really careful with unlimited data anytime you go to the store. Most reps believe anything you do will make you loose unlimited data. Some will actively take it away.

How are you getting the new phone? Full retail or a loophole?

1f8e64b9eb743431945844d2de216135.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mr. Toad is correct. You can add and remove the unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot at any time provided that you currently have unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE data plan.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I also heard its pro-rated by day, so if you turn it on, use it a few days, then turn it off, you only get charged like 1 buck a day or something?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I also heard its pro-rated by day, so if you turn it on, use it a few days, then turn it off, you only get charged like 1 buck a day or something?
Correct. When you enable it, you can select to have it effective today. Then when disabling it, have it effective the day you disable it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
This is correct, but the last time I did it, it took 2 months for the bills to get evened out. I was charged for the time I used and the next month. It then got refunded on the bill after that.

comanche88

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know if this still works? I can't find the add hotspot feature when checking with VZW online so wondering if anyone has done this in the last 30 days or so.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if this still works? I can't find the add hotspot feature when checking with VZW online so wondering if anyone has done this in the last 30 days or so.

Still there.

In your account, go to that line. Features > Data Hotspot.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hotspot is included on fixed data plans.

Posted via the Android Central App

This thread is about the additional hotspot/tethering feature for those on the legacy unlimited data plan.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Also beware that VZ computers knocked my wife off UD when she called CS to end her hot spot. I caught it the next day.
So always use the app, never use CS if possible.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also beware that VZ computers knocked my wife off UD when she called CS to end her hot spot. I caught it the next day.
So always use the app, never use CS if possible.
I always try to avoid talking to csr... They can muck up your account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress