[How-To] Root, Custom Recovery, NANDroid Backup

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It might be too late to comment, but during the rooting process I noticed two things.

1) Gingerbreak just didn't work. This is the first VM phone I"ve used, out of four, that didn't have a functional version of it somewhere. (I haven't tested the Wildfire S yet.)

2) Your rooting method didn't work either... until I tried to do something else on the phone. That must have diverted processing power or something. I let it sit for a good three minutes watching the batch file loop.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
It might be too late to comment, but during the rooting process I noticed two things.

1) Gingerbreak just didn't work. This is the first VM phone I"ve used, out of four, that didn't have a functional version of it somewhere. (I haven't tested the Wildfire S yet.)
The gingerbreak exploit has been patched in this build so no, it doesn't work unfortunately. The exploit used to root this phone, and is linked in the first post is the newly released zergrush exploit.
2) Your rooting method didn't work either... until I tried to do something else on the phone. That must have diverted processing power or something. I let it sit for a good three minutes watching the batch file loop.
This point is a little confusing but i think i get what your saying. You didn't mean to say it didn't work, then follow it up by saying it did work. I think what you were implying is you believe you encountered an issue, but eventually the process worked.

And yes, the batch file will appear to be looping per the output i included in post #1. It appears to be repeating the same process, and prints the same thing 4 times in a row with plenty of pause in between, but it's actually working. When i rooted my girls phone i remember staying calm and patiently watching it but thinking to myself "if someone wasn't patient enough, they wouldn't know this thing is actually running and not looping". Thats the exact reason i provided the output in post 1, in hopes people would read post #1 at the same time as running the root exploit so they could know exactly how close they are to being done.

I'm trying to talk Drew into bringing http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...ck-root-sons-korhal-root-utility-1-0-1-a.html to the slider. I should work just fine as is without any modification but I also bugged him about tossing in a flash custom recovery 1 click option. I think most people are more comfortable looking at nice user friendly GUI's rather than CMD windows.

EDIT - I've updated post #1 with an important bullet pointing out to users the code repeats 4 times by design. Hope that prevents any confusion for future readers.

Last edited:
Reactions: primetechv2

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well that explains it... I should probably look at the code again, thought it was taking extra-long for me. Maybe I'm not as special as I thought :'(

What I meant to say was something along the lines of "For three minutes I watched the batch file loop, while not laying a finger on my phone. Nothing seemed to happen, although those zerglings were certainly persistent. Exasperated, I started to putz around on my phone. Immediately after I began playing with it, run.bat opened up a channel and my phone became magically rooted."

Either way your rooting method ultimately worked, so I got nothing to complain about.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Well that explains it... I should probably look at the code again, thought it was taking extra-long for me. Maybe I'm not as special as I thought :'(

What I meant to say was something along the lines of "For three minutes I watched the batch file loop, while not laying a finger on my phone. Nothing seemed to happen, although those zerglings were certainly persistent. Exasperated, I started to putz around on my phone. Immediately after I began playing with it, run.bat opened up a channel and my phone became magically rooted."

Either way your rooting method ultimately worked, so I got nothing to complain about.

No worries. I just wanted to clarify because an inexperienced user may read your post and think "ZOMG I can't haz root?! "

Plus the stronger the instructions the easier it is to follow for users of all experience levels :) that was the goal when writing them so I appreciate the feedback

primetechv2

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm part Polish so my instruction reading only goes above average when you use big red words. I also rooted a new phone... and yes, "waiting" was 100% effective just like you said.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk

grayson73

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Sucks that you can't root with Gingerbreak. I wonder why Gingerbreak works for the Optimus, but not Optimus slider.

Is this still the best guide for rooting the Optimus slider?

cococo3133

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
i cant get the
chmod 777 image_flash
to work it says there is no such file or directory
help plz?
and when i do everything else besides what i said about it doesnt go into recovery mode
**never mind got it to work with quick boot :)**

Last edited:

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
FYI .. on my wife's phone, zergRush appeared to complete successfully and restart ADB, but attempting to reconnect to the phone failed.

Being an idiot the next thing I did was reboot the phone. Which resulted in a suid copy of sh in /data/local/tmp and /data mounted nosuid. Subsequent attempts to run zergRush failed because it couldn't overwrite /data/local/tmp/sh, and running /data/local/tmp/sh failed because /data was mounted nosuid. Doh!

To fix this, I recompiled zergRush so that it would not die upon failure to copy sh. Then I removed the code to kill adb and, if I remember right, I had root when zergRush exited. This allowed me to copy su and busybox to the /system partition.

watcherx305

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To} Root, Custom Recovery, Backup, Flash ROMs

When I go into recovery get the following message..

Android system recovery...
Do not pull out the battery!!
check SDcard for GOTA update : /sdcard/update.zip

Findng update package in sdcard...
no image found in sdcard
E:Failed to open /sdcard/update.zip
(no such file or directory)
manual select menu

-----------------------------------------------------------
Aside from that any of the 4 options I have on top only give me the "android out of the box" logo and comes back to recovery menu after pressing HOME.

where can I find this Update.zip file for the optimus Slider? there is no mention of this file in the Custom recovery tutorial (or at least I missed it) sorry for this very noob question, but I'm really F'd up with stock rom. thank in advance and thank you for your work.

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
everything I try to flash custom recovery I get stuck at
flash_image recovery /sdcard/VM701_recovery.img
plz help me i've done everything else correctly but still stuck here

**ok nevermind I copied and pasted to notepad on my desktop and seen I was missing some spaces**

Last edited:

DannyPizdetz

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, just completed the steps as you explained them and it worked as expected. The only difference was that I got some different hex output after the Found a GingerBread and the other places where you had hex output. I took screencaps, so if you're interested in the difference let me know and I'll post them up.

I specifically wanted to root my phone because I'm having an issue with my contacts storage having a memory bug. It just grows hour after hour, even once my initial contacts sync is complete. I do have a large contacts list(7k people), but that still shouldn't grow to 40MB. It's only 7MB when the sync finishes.

I've been using unix of some sort for over 18 years, but I'm new to android. I'm not sure what the next steps are to fix this problem. Lay down another ROM on the phone? I hope this isn't considered thread hijacking, I'm just looking for pointers if anyone is willing to share.

DannyPizdetz

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting ready to flash the custom rom onto my phone and would like to move my backup off of my sdcard and onto my computer's hard drive. Am I correct that this Custom Recovery places it's backup in a folder called clockworkmod?

Also, as another person noted, the date/time stamp of the backup is set in the year 1980. But I'm supposing that makes since as the phone hasn't acquired a tower signal when it's only booted into the Custom Recovery. Just thought I'd mention it.