Remove Camera?

bondbum

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased a LG Optimus V from Virgin Mobile, but I work for the DOD and can't have a camera phone. :( It would be okay, however, if I removed the camera.

Anyone have luck removing the camera, or know how to do so?

Thanks in advance!

nerdmastax

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
if i remember correctly, on most smartphones, once you dissasemble the phone you should see a tiny ribbon cable connected to the camera and motherboard, just "desocket it" from the motherboard.

should be the same thing with this phone, but be careful, always fully film dissasembly, keep track of screws, do it on a white sheet etc.

and as always no one is responsible for you except you, hope this helps..

-John

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased a LG Optimus V from Virgin Mobile, but I work for the DOD and can't have a camera phone. :( It would be okay, however, if I removed the camera.

Anyone have luck removing the camera, or know how to do so?

Thanks in advance!

Jab a nail into it? haha.

chrissurra

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You could try rooting it and see if you gain access to the app and delete it. Would be easier then taking it apart and removing it.

DaveSin

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You can't have a camera phone or you are not allowed to take it to work? If it is the latter, then it is obvious what the solution is...don't take it to work or leave it in your car!

Why would you buy a phone with a camera if you know the DOD requirements ahead of time?

Last edited:

bondbum

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
You can't have a camera phone or you are not allowed to take it to work? If it is the latter, then it is obvious what the solution is...don't take it to work or leave it in your car!

Why would you buy a phone with a camera if you know the DOD requirements ahead of time?

I appreciate the responses, but the fact of the matter is, I want to use this phone, I want to continue using the cheap service which Virgin Mobile offers, Virgin Mobile does not offer any smart phones without a camera (hard to find non-camera smart phones with any carrier really), and since Virgin phones don't use a sim card I can't just switch phones.

And why don't I just not take it to work? Well, I guess I want to use my phone during the day. I want to be able to use it for other features, and a camera just isn't one of them.

If no one knows how to perform this operation, I understand, but really this isn't helpful information, save the first post from nerdmastax, which I appreciate.

I'll make a final call for help, if anyone knows how to remove the camera, I appreciate your input.

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
fabricate a backplate that covers the camera? lol that probably wont work.

Disassemble it. Im sure the camera is removable. Once its out, super glue (or tape shut) a pieace of clear lexan or something over the spot, that way they can see in and see theres no camera...but dust wont get in.

Look around online, im sure ifixit has taken apart at least one of the Optimus phones.

Nick Miltier

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
If you work for the DOD then you should know the NAVSEA requirements.

1) Both the front and rear camera lenses will be drilled out.

2) Both the front and rear camera lenses will be filled with epoxy.

When activating the camera application, either pitch black must be seen or the unable to connect to camera error message must be displayed.

Even if you took it apart and disabled the camera from within, you will still loose your security clearances unless it's drilled.