Coming from Palm Pre 1st day on N1

JCpmb84

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
So heres my 1st impressions...

Actually....the only thing i miss from my Pre which i was a huge fan of (never any problems, homebrewed, patched, etc..) is the ability to literally flip the keyboard open and start typing the name of the contact/app/anything of what i was trying to access and it was open in 2-3 seconds.

Is there a universal search feature on Android 2.1 that im missing?

I am very pleased with the N1 though and look forward to mastering the ways of the force :)

This is my 1st post btw and was a member of pre-central since June.

inrelief

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the N1 has universal search like the pre.

From your desktop, hit the magnifying glass and start typing away.
It'll pull in apps, recent searches, and contacts (edit: that's all i recall, it may do music and other stuff as well)

You can also do this via voice:
Hold the magnifying glass,
Say:
Call Joe Smith
Map 1727 Some Road

And if it's able to understand you, it'll automatically call (with an animated delay) or map the location.

Last edited:

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome! inrelief has it right. Searching is nice and easy.

So heres my 1st impressions...

Actually....the only thing i miss from my Pre which i was a huge fan of (never any problems, homebrewed, patched, etc..) is the ability to literally flip the keyboard open and start typing the name of the contact/app/anything of what i was trying to access and it was open in 2-3 seconds.

Is there a universal search feature on Android 2.1 that im missing?

I am very pleased with the N1 though and look forward to mastering the ways of the force :)

This is my 1st post btw and was a member of pre-central since June.

inrelief

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Can the two of you say why you moved off the Pre? I'm still on the fence.
ADS

1) build quality: I went through 5 pres. All factory defects. On my 5th I got the USB-port spider crack across the screen and sprint said I"d have to shell out the deductible to replace it. If I'm spending 100 bucks, I might as well shell out an extra 70 for a device that does't break every other month.

This was within 30 days of sprint raising that one fee by 20 cents, so I got out without an ETF.

2) Speed of the device: I found the scrolling in general to be painful on the web and calendars. Lemme tell yah, on the N1 the browser checkerboard and the calendar wait lag are non-existent

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback on the Pre. I keep leaning more toward the N1. The speed I could probably deal with supposing the US GMS Pre model is the Pre plus, but as much as I tell myself I'll be careful, it seems a lot of careful folks have had hardware build/break issues.
ADS

j0sh097

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Can the two of you say why you moved off the Pre? I'm still on the fence.
ADS
I also switched from the Pre.
There was no real reason that I switched as far as the device/os are concerned. The only reason I switched was because of the chance that I got of ending my contract with Sprint last month and I still plan on returning to a webos device in the future.
That is not meant to say anything bad about android or the N1. It is a great device and I'm sure if I had used android before webos I'd feel a lot warmer towards it. It's not necessarily that webos does anything better than android, it's just that I've gotten used to doing things in certain ways on webos.
Here are a few minor things that I have noticed between the two OSs:
  • Calendar app is better/faster on android
  • Calendar app works properly on android
  • Not a fan of software keyboards (thought I could live with it and I can but given the choice I would rather not have to)
  • Like the auto-correct on webos better in some ways ('u' auto-corrected to 'you')
  • Patching is easier than ROMs
  • Smoother multi-tasking on webos
  • Faster hardware on N1
  • Better (magnetized) dock for webos phones (have dropped my N1 from my desk, which is next to my bed, several times trying to snooze the alarm)
  • Mute switch puts Pre on vibrate, mute slide puts N1 to mute
  • Go to card view, start typing contact, app, w/e. Faster and smoother than on N1.
  • Better apps on android (at least for now): Shazam, Goggles, Maps with street view + compass = awesome, text-to-speech os wide (don't really use it but maybe it's just because I forget it is there), barcode scanner, Google Sky Map (point phone around the sky to find constellations).
  • Better/easier settings management on webos
  • Email app on webos seems to be faster at retrieving emails from gmail than android's native gmail app
  • N1 is much more sturdier although I have only ever had one Pre and never had any problems with it hardware or software wise
  • N1 has a better, faster loading camera w/video recording (of course the Pre will be getting video recording this month)
  • Tap the back button to go back as opposed to the tiring back gesture
  • Gotta get used to the menu and search buttons
  • Android has better clock/alarms app
Hope this doesn't discourage you from getting it. It's a really great device.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback on the Pre. I keep leaning more toward the N1. The speed I could probably deal with supposing the US GMS Pre model is the Pre plus, but as much as I tell myself I'll be careful, it seems a lot of careful folks have had hardware build/break issues.
ADS

I was careful, and went through 5 pre's as well. Never dropped, had screen protectors every time. Between the slider oreo-ing, the antenna not being able to hold a signal, dropped calls (not Sprint issue, they let me have a Hero and its PERFECT!), dead pixels= annoying, "Too Many Cards" with literally nothing open (maybe browser and app store), no way to kill tasks like on android if something goes funny, losing ALL of my contacts, Horrendous battery life (5 hours on a good day), every update Palm rolling out breaking something else on the phone (they broke my Pharmacy app, very pissed about that, and exchange never works after an update), I'm much much happier on my android device, even if it isn't upgraded to 2.1. It'll come soon enough.
Going Android should be an easy decision, the Pre will be released by over a year by the time it goes to ATT with no actual changes in physical design (same crappy keyboard and slider), and only a RAM boost. Essentially, Palm hasn't made any actual advancements on anything in over a year (pre was announced in January '09). I don't see them being around much longer, despite moving to bigger carriers.

Last edited:

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
1) build quality: I went through 5 pres. All factory defects. On my 5th I got the USB-port spider crack across the screen and sprint said I"d have to shell out the deductible to replace it. If I'm spending 100 bucks, I might as well shell out an extra 70 for a device that does't break every other month.

This was within 30 days of sprint raising that one fee by 20 cents, so I got out without an ETF.

2) Speed of the device: I found the scrolling in general to be painful on the web and calendars. Lemme tell yah, on the N1 the browser checkerboard and the calendar wait lag are non-existent

Quick question (as I'm still kinda considering a webOS phone): What version of the OS did you leave off on? I know that 1.3.5 (I think?) contained some speed improvements.

Any thoughts?

Joene

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
The WebOs itself was and still is quite innovative, but at the same time the build issues and the technological aspects of the devices (which, face it, are based upon two year old chipsets) make it quite unappealing. Moreover, the OS hits certain points it cannot surpass, like the fact that it will not be as slick as android, precisely because it is based upon web-technology (have you ever seen a webpage scroll like the nexus' menus?). It cannot get as visually appealing I think.

PHLAK

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
I've got to stop coming to this forum. I cry a little inside every time I realize I still have months until the N1 is released on VZW. :'-(

iknewya

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
1.4 is a make or break for most of europe, if it doesnt bring some much needed attention i cant imagine it doing well, its too US centric, there is nothing on the palm pre for EU/UK lot, nothing!
even the "apps for travel" on palm's site, DON'T EXIST! it's all lies! , ask and google!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I believe that. When I still had the Pre paid apps were just starting to be supported. Kinda ridiculous. I know Android has its problems overseas, but not nearly as much as Palm, a company who expanded just to sell more units instead of fixing a lot of its issues it had a home first. I will never, ever, consider a Palm device again, even after they get bought out.

beardman

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
palm pre is a great phone. a lot of people say it is slow and buggy but it really isn't. the software has been updated and it just keeps getting better.

just go on youtube to see some videos of palm pre in action, its a pretty good phone.

make sure you watch recent videos with pres running updated software!

JohnnyKat

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I still have my original Palm Pre and even with the updates (now on 1.4.1.1) I still find it slow!!! Loading time for the Calendar app and Camera seem to be my biggest problems. And I always have to cross my fingers I don't get a "Too Many Cards" memory error!

The future of Palm doesn't seem bright and come June, I'll be looking to an Android phone- all eyes on the EVO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress