The important thing I feel reviews are forgetting: Updates

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
For one reason or the other, I've never picked up the HSPA version of a Nexus phone. After spending three years with phones I've wanted to be like the Nexus, but never really it, the only way to get something like it is to actually buy the one Google puts out itself. The Verizon GNex has been the best phone I've owned, but the updates came too slow. I'm switching. It's a shame, but until carriers sort out interoperable LTE networks, loosen provisioning, and CDMA goes away, the whole scene will be a mess. It's going to take a long time for that.

Beacio_mo

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
For one reason or the other, I've never picked up the HSPA version of a Nexus phone. After spending three years with phones I've wanted to be like the Nexus, but never really it, the only way to get something like it is to actually buy the one Google puts out itself. The Verizon GNex has been the best phone I've owned, but the updates came too slow. I'm switching. It's a shame, but until carriers sort out interoperable LTE networks, loosen provisioning, and CDMA goes away, the whole scene will be a mess. It's going to take a long time for that.

I just got into Android about 6 months ago after being on iOS for years. Rooted my GS2 to CM9 and CM10 but don't get the stability my Nexus 7 has. Don't get me wrong, CM10 nightlys are great, but SODs are not fun when you rely on your phone for work.

I'm actually selling my phone to get the Nexus 4 when its available just for the stock updates, losing LTE in the process. The only other downside is I'll be using a Palm Pre Plus for the next week and a half :p lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Because reviewers aren't supposed to review what the phone might be down the road. They have to review the phone as it is, and is it came to them. They can mention that it'll get updated, but anybody will tell you to buy a phone based on if it will do what you need the day you buy it.
And that reminder may have just helped me make up my mind. I've been considering the Note 2, the Lumia 920 and the Nexus 4. Android 4.2 has features I really, really want and would use (like lockscreen widgets, expanded Google Now, built-in gesture typing and new camera UI.) Will the Note 2 get 4.2 and how soon? Don't know. Will WP8 mature and grow as an OS with a competitive ecosystem? Probably, but that's still a crap shoot at this point, even with Microsoft's resources behind the effort. So the Nexus 4 could be the best device for me today. And that's what should matter most.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think when we see reports come out that show 4.2 at only on 2.7% of devices, and then reviews come out that talk about lack of LTE ad-nauseum, they forget the value of speedy updates. While the Nexus 4 probably won't sell as much as the S3, I think at this price point you can't ignore the value of updates straight for Google. While yes, it has been like this on every other Nexus model (sans the Verizon Gnex) at this price point off contract is INCREDIBLE to me. To me the Nexus line has never been about hardware bleeding edge, it's about Android's bleeding edge. And that's generally something the general user doesn't experience. I think while they would have imagined they would have loved to have an LTE version, I don't think you can pretend it wouldn't have raised cost, and cut off their ability to update it. IMHO (and as a Gnex owner) I think that hurts the Nexus MORE than LTE. Or remind me again how well the LTE Galaxy Nexus sold?

No the reviewers are correct and are not missing the point if the Nexus 3. They are reviewing the Nexus 4 for the perspective if the masses which since LTE as a spec they must have regardless if they use it or not. LTE us big deal to the masses but for most tech savy(they are the minority) people it's simple preference.

I am curious what Google will Di next year because eventually have to come to terms and make Nexus with LTE to gain masses apeal. I love N4 but understand why journalist are pointing out the issue with LTE. N4 may still come out in LTE versions but we have to wait and see.

Can I get a white one before Christmas?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

cpadams

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello All. I feel a lot of the questions I personally had on the Nexus 4 have been answered except in one area. Warranty. I believe the Play Store gives you so many days, then I assume you go off the standard warranty from LG but are there other options available. For example, does the Play Store offer extended warranties on the products Google sells? I would prefer dealing with Google instead of LG. Also, I plan on using it on AT&T. They normally have options for the phones they sell but I assume they would not cover the Nexus being they don't currently have plans to sell it that I know of. The Nexus appears to be a very good phone but it would be nice to know you have a place to go to quickly get things resolved. Thanks everyone!

BobbyPhoenix

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
As far as reviews missing the most important part I would have to say CALL QUALITY! I mean it IS a PHONE first and foremost. Not one review I've read talked about how the calls sounded, or how the earpiece was loud enough, or what the caller on the other end said about sound and clarity. Second about the LTE vs HSPA. Really? Anything over 10 down is really overkill. Why would you need 21, 42, 60, 10,000? Actually I'm quite happy with 2 down, and 1 up.

tall_geek

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I think one thing that most people in America seems to forget is the LTE isn't avaliable in most other countries around the world and where it is its on totally different frequencies. So it most markets its never going to be an issue and would just be an unwanted unused extra cost. That's why other manufacturers have to make a phone specially for the states, and if Google decided to go that route it would cost a lot more.

Network and GT-I9300 issues, will try my best to help.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As far as reviews missing the most important part I would have to say CALL QUALITY! I mean it IS a PHONE first and foremost. Not one review I've read talked about how the calls sounded, or how the earpiece was loud enough, or what the caller on the other end said about sound and clarity.
I don't know what reviews you've read, but most of the ones I've seen have had a sentence or two in passing, buried under all the "ZOMG! NOE LET IZ TEH FAILZ0RZ!!!!11!!" bashing.

Engadget - "We loved making calls on the Nexus, as our friends came through loud and clear. It was static-free and neither side of the conversation had any difficulty hearing each other." (This was a stand-alone paragraph.)

The Verge - "On the plus side, call quality and reception was excellent on the phone. I only had one dropped called while testing, and general sound and clarity was top notch. LG smartly equipped the Nexus 4 with a loud and clear speaker, and an earpiece that carries surprisingly clean audio."

TechCrunch - "Oh, and lest I neglect to address the actual phone part of the equation, call quality was clear and crisp, though main speaker volume could’ve been a bit louder."

It's not being universally ignored at all.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
The lack of lte is absolutely idiotic on Google's part. At least apple got it right lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The lack of lte is absolutely idiotic on Google's part. At least apple got it right lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
TO be fair LTE is not being pushed in every country. In Australia its only just begun with plan users only. This phone fits perfect in the market of the prepaid user, thus in Australia its not idiotic.
I know for a fact countries like China are only on the GSM network and they are a larger market then the US however has more competition like Xiaomi with a 2gb ram phone for $320 this month were the first release got sold out in 2 minutes.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
As far as reviews missing the most important part I would have to say CALL QUALITY! I mean it IS a PHONE first and foremost. Not one review I've read talked about how the calls sounded, or how the earpiece was loud enough, or what the caller on the other end said about sound and clarity. Second about the LTE vs HSPA. Really? Anything over 10 down is really overkill. Why would you need 21, 42, 60, 10,000? Actually I'm quite happy with 2 down, and 1 up.
I think Phil said in his "questions" thread that the earpiece is plenty loud. I'm sure his review will speak to that. ;)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The review over on xda points to what could be a serious call issue. Checkout the review on the front page

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

simonxliu

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
You guys do realize that HSPA+ is 4G too right? I have to agree with Google on this one, LTE is just a battery hog.

Technically 4G hasn't been deployed anywhere. Hspa+ is a 3g standard, and even lte doesn't meet requirements to be called 4g. Lte is only a battery hog because we constantly have to switch between 3g/4g and most of us can't use voice over lte. If we had lte everywhere + phones with only lte radios battery life would be fine but we settle for slow progress when it comes to data speed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer