Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What did you guys think about the HTC One (M8) compared to the Nexus 5?

What did you guys think about the M8? Compared to the Nexus?

Compared to the Nexus 5, of course it has a better built quality & the rest is camera features.. and more features... nothing really crazy? worth the extra 300.

Ordered my Nexus 5 today!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Default Re: What did you guys think about the M8? Compared to the Nexus?

Meh I personally Never liked HTC phones and that does little to change my mind. The addition of a micro sd card is a plus though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4- t-mobile
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB Wifi
    Apple iPad Air 2 128GB
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3- T-mobile
    Nexus 5 32GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket AT&T
    iPhone 4 AT&T
    iPhone 3GS AT&T

I think the Nexus 5 is the better phone, even if it's almost 6 months old. It's a good size and fit for a 5" screen. It's got the better camera. The processor and battery differences are negligible. After all that, it's still stock Android and a Nexus. There's nothing about the One that would even remotely be worth the $300.

Global Posts
    20,946 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Hopefully it will have much better success than the M7 did. I say that mainly because, while I don't care for HTC, that doesn't mean I want to see the company go away.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    Connorj2005 and madlaw1071 like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Adranalyne View Post
    I think the Nexus 5 is the better phone, even if it's almost 6 months old. It's a good size and fit for a 5" screen. It's got the better camera. The processor and battery differences are negligible. After all that, it's still stock Android and a Nexus. There's nothing about the One that would even remotely be worth the $300.
    Same here, I have yet to see anything worth the extra 300 on any new flagship phone this year, that's why i just finished ordering the Nexus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Hopefully it will have much better success than the M7 did. I say that mainly because, while I don't care for HTC, that doesn't mean I want to see the company go away.
    I agree, hopefully they continue building on what they have now. It is a great phone.

Global Posts
    2,938 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by rrballer11 View Post
    What did you guys think about the M8? Compared to the Nexus?
    Really is a great phone. Fast, nice display, Awesome camera, SD expansion, they got rid of physical buttons, 5MP front camera(!)...and of course Stereo Speakers.

Still polluted with Sense. Also, I don't trust HTC. So I will pass on it...even the GPE. I don't trust HTC as far as updates after what they did to me on the Rezound.

Compared to the Nexus 5, of course it has a better built quality & the rest is camera features.. and more features... nothing really crazy? worth the extra 300.
    If I could get it without Sense and with direct support from Google? Yes it would be worth an extra $300.

Still would not buy it. Not because it sucks but because there is even better stuff on the horizon. My next phone will have optical zoom.
    Thanked by:

I like the new One. I'm sure it feels great in the hand and Sense has come a long way, and I love how they've hopped on the bandwagon of putting features on the Play Store.

All that said, if I had to do it all over again I'd still pay Google $400 once than AT&T $640 over 12 months, especially given the specs of the N5. Some folks say you get the bugs first with the Nexus devices, which is true, but you also get the fixes first. Besides it's not like the OEMS don't introduce bugs of their own with their customizations.

I priced it out a bit and AFAIK the only phone I can get on AT&T next for $400 is the 16gb Moto X. That's a mighty strong argument considering the only annoyance I've found on the N5 so far is the wonky camera focus.
    Thanked by:
    Podolsky likes this.

I checked one out in store today. The display is beautiful. It feels very fast and responsive. I think for someone looking at a non stock android experience this is where you want to be. I've determined over time that I like the minimal stock android design and the ability to build upon it with my own customizations, but the m8 is definitely a high quality device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't even thought about it. I am happy with my nexus 5.

Posted via Android Central App
    Shilohcane and rrballer11 like this.

Both the new HTC One and the S5 look like great devices.

Not enough to get me to upgrade from my moto x or nexus 5.

Used to switch to the newest all the time, but I just do not see anything to make me move on.

Sent from my Moto X!
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    Iggymart likes this.

I would have purchased the M8 in a heartbeat if it weren't for that same BS camera. I bought the N7 last year (before switching to the Nexus 5) and the camera is fine for social media but 4 MP is simply not good enough. You lose all ability to crop photos and, most important to me (now that I have a 5 month old daughter), the ability to print photos. The resolution of printed photos is simply a joke at 4 MP. If they would have even upgraded it to 8 MP, I would have purchased a developer edition immediately yesterday.

The only other feature that it's missing that I'd miss is wireless charging. I've grown to love it with my Nexus 5.
    Samuelchua likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    If I could get it without Sense and with direct support from Google? Yes it would be worth an extra $300.
    You can - they have both Google Play and Developer editions. I suppose the Play version doesn't give direct support from Google, but it is stock Android, and is updated very quickly.

The recent HTC devices are some of the best built out there - I think that is the main thing going for them. The Evo 4G LTE I just switched from had a much better feel in the hand and survived outless drops to the floor without a case and nary a scratch.

Global Posts
    2,938 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Ruh Roh...Looks like the HTC Camera is not as great as we might have been led to believe.

Hands-on with the HTC One M8: Fix the bad, keep the good, add a gimmicky camera | Ars Technica

ARS calls it "gimmicky"...it is basically photoshopping blur effects in real time. It is not actually adding to the phone's ability to focus.

The shots still look good to me. Better than the HTC one.

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    Both the new HTC One and the S5 look like great devices.

Not enough to get me to upgrade from my moto x or nexus 5.

Used to switch to the newest all the time, but I just do not see anything to make me move on.

Sent from my Moto X!
    How do you swap sims between the X and the N5? Did you cut it down to nano size and use an adapter? Any problems?

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

I don't see the value over an N5.
    I still wish HTC well since competition spurs innovation. Unfortunately they missed the memo I sent them on how to compete against Samsung. They got the SD card right...but forgot the removable battery.

All they need to do is copy...

Posted via Serenity
    N5 Black 32GB 4.4.4(I love this thing!!), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5, ONE+64GB N7(4.4.4) AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

I like how HTC focuses on things that make a difference in daily use - slide to unlock gestures, excellent speakers and audio quality, adding back sd card when they had abandoned it earlier.

Is there any other phone with comparable audio? I don't think so.

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts

I don't think I could ever go back to a non-Nexus (or GPE) device.

Unadulterated Android, no carrier pre-installed garbage apps, virtually guaranteed prompt updates without carrier "certification" delays lasting months.

So while the HTC One doesn't interest me in the slightest, I might have been interested in the GPE version if I were in the market for a new phone.

But the N5 is still such a good performer I can't see it showing its age for a good year (or more).

And The One certainly isn't worth nearly 2x the price of the N5.
    Nexus 5 • Nexus 7 • Surface Pro 3
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I like how HTC focuses on things that make a difference in daily use - slide to unlock gestures, excellent speakers and audio quality, adding back sd card when they had abandoned it earlier.

Is there any other phone with comparable audio? I don't think so.
    Ill connect my N5 to a real sound system if i really needed to listen to music loud and in better quality.
    Iggymart likes this.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by MBSMD View Post
    I don't think I could ever go back to a non-Nexus (or GPE) device.

Unadulterated Android, no carrier pre-installed garbage apps, virtually guaranteed prompt updates without carrier "certification" delays lasting months.

So while the HTC One doesn't interest me in the slightest, I might have been interested in the GPE version if I were in the market for a new phone.

But the N5 is still such a good performer I can't see it showing its age for a good year (or more).

And The One certainly isn't worth nearly 2x the price of the N5.
    Completely agree with you, my N5 is coming in the mail now and i already see it being hard to switch to anything that's not stock android. One isn't worth that money.

My opinion is that for the value, the nexus 5 is very hard to beat. It is such a great device at $350-$400 that nobody can compete. I'm really enjoying the freedom of no contract as well.
    Iggymart and mrsmumbles like this.

Default Re: What did you guys think about the HTC One (M8) compared to the Nexus 5?

The speakers and that brushed aluminum housing certainly caught my eye. But for now, the Nexus 5 is still the best $400 you can spend on a phone off contract.

Current: Z10, Nexus 5, iPad mini retina
    Android Guru

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.1.1 Jelly Belly

Default Re: What did you guys think about the HTC One (M8) compared to the Nexus 5?

I'm jonsing for the new M8 but at the same time if it doesn't feel just right in the hand I know I'd switch right back to a Nexus 5. Plus I'd have to shell out $699 for the GPE One which is a bit much.

mrsmumbles likes this.

Global Posts
    1,216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I hope the HTC does well, but for me it is not worth moving from the N5. HTC is building incredible phones these days!!! So if you want a different user interface and a great device go for the HTC.

I'm not going to hate on the M8. It is a really awesome looking device and I'm certain the "Boom Sound" is excellent. I think that HTC has really done well with this device. They probably need to rethink their camera, however. It seems that the 4 "Ultrapixels" isn't getting favorable reviews. To be honest, I think that if they had come with a, let's say, 16 MP camera like Samsung, the perception would have been that they destroyed the competition thus far. But it left room for other manufacturers to claim their device is better. Me personally, I'm not going to buy it because compared to my Nexus 5, it doesn't bring anything new (when considering how I use my phone). The camera is poorer, the phone is heavier, I prefer stock Android (although, I don't think that a skin is particularly bad), it has bloatware, updates would come slower, no Google Wallet tap to pay, and the phone costs almost twice as much. Doesn't seem to be a smart choice to buy the M8 at this time. Especially considering that there could be a new Nexus released later this year at a far better price point and most like will be better on specs and carry the latest version of Android.
    Iggymart and mrsmumbles like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I'm not going to hate on the M8. It is a really awesome looking device and I'm certain the "Boom Sound" is excellent. I think that HTC has really done well with this device.
    Yep... the M8 is a nice phone, but I don't see much that would cause me to want to get rid of my 5. I saw a chart listing their internals side by side and you wouldn't think that the phones were released 6 months apart. If the Nexus 5 wasn't an option (like if I was on Verizon), I'd consider it, but to be honest, I might just wait for the S5.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast