Screen flicker

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have problems with the screen flickering at times? It only seems to do it when I use certain apps or using chrome.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I see random small patches of static at the very bottom or very top of the screen for a split second every once and a while. Are you talking about the entire screen dimming?

Sent from my Nexus 7

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I see random small patches of static at the very bottom or very top of the screen for a split second every once and a while. Are you talking about the entire screen dimming?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Your description of static would be more precise. It is not dimming by any means.

Deradorn

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be having more of a flickering I wasn't sure it wasn't the auto dimming of the screen going crazy but its only happen a couple of times

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

contactek

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I just got my nexus 7 yesterday and noticed the same screen flicker. Installed the new update bit to an avail. I did notice that its most noticeable when my WiFi signal is low and I am I a dark room. Although I did try to disable the auto brightness, however that did not help. I got mine from GameStop. Next test is yo yes it in a dark room, with low WiFi signal (further from my router) and have the charger plugged in. Maybe there is something going on with the power drain when WiFi has to work harder.

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow hearing these problems so far about it makes me nervous on what I'm going to receive. Turns out we're starting to see why its so cheap. (screen not adhering, dead pixels, flickering/static)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

contactek

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I just hope they fix it soon.... The tablet is nice, a lot easier to hold than the Ipad or larger size android tablets. Still not as responsive as the ipad but for $250 I cant complain. However, flickering is beginning to annoy me and I don't feel like going back to gamestop for an exchange. Hopefully a software fix will come out soon.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I noticed it last night while I was reading with the Kindle app. I did have it plugged in and I don't remember it flickering before it was plugged in. Its pretty subtle and I spent a lot of time setting the device up so I'm not sure I would have noticed before settling into bed to read. I hope its just when the device is plugged in because I doubt I'll ever be using it much while plugged in. Typically with my Kindle Fire I would be charging while I was sleeping.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok I noticed more screen flicker last night while reading and the device wasn't plugged in. Its kind of annoying. My device has had two updates since I've had it, too. I'm debating on whether to keep it or not.

cgc2

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
No flicker here.. Flicker when plugged in could be 60 hz cycle of ac, however not sure you should be seeing that.

Noah0504

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I just hope they fix it soon.... The tablet is nice, a lot easier to hold than the Ipad or larger size android tablets. Still not as responsive as the ipad but for $250 I cant complain. However, flickering is beginning to annoy me and I don't feel like going back to gamestop for an exchange. Hopefully a software fix will come out soon.

I haven't noticed any kind of flickering. Sometimes the screen dims a bit when it auto-adjusts the brightness. Also, I think it's just as responsive as the iPad. Of course, I haven't used a ton of apps yet. Mostly just Chrome and a few simple ones I downloaded.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I started noticing the screen flicker more when I turned the brightness down. Probably a software/driver problem. For now, I'll just keep the brightness at at least 50%.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I called customer support and they said that its a fairly common issue. They had me do a factory reset and check for updates (mine was already up to date) and said that would fix the problem. I guess I'll find out next time I'm reading bc thats when I notice it.

kaediil

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
The screen flickers really badly on my Google IO Nexus 7 when the brightness is turned down low manually or the auto brightness is turned on. If set the screen brighter then 30-40% it does not seem to flicker or is not as noticeable. It is most visible in a dark room because that is when the brightness is turned down.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Yea I started noticing a bit of flickering from time to time on Saturday. Rarely happens but it's annoying (wasn't plugged in btw). Hope it's something that can be fixed by software.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

TrackerF16

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine flickers a Lil bit, but only when the auto dimming is dimming automatically, its only really visible using chrome (because of all the white) and it's Only for a split second

I bet if you turn off auto-dimming it won't flicker anymore

Serge7789#CB

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
This same screen flicker issue has happened to me, its pretty much a thick black line that flashes for a second and disappears. I'm not really sure if this a software issue, which is okay as long as it gets a fix, however considering the amount of things I've seen people posting regarding the screen I am scared its a hardware issue. I've seen screen-bezel protrusions(which cracked the screen when someone pushed it in), ghosting, and now this issue.

Tlo07, did the factory reset even help with this issue? I have the newest update but it still happened. Also after reading one of the above suggestions that this problem occurs either on Auto-brightness or 30-40% brightness settings, I set mine up to 50% and I haven't seen anything since... Not to say that its fixed yet..I dunno. I'm contemplating a return and waiting for the second production batch.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
The reset did NOT make the screen flicker go away, despite the customer service rep assuring me that would fix the problem. Fortunately the flicker is very subtle. I only see it when I'm reading in the Kindle app and I suppose its noticable because I'm staring at a white screen with tiny black letters. Plus, I only seem to notice a flicker when I'm reading in my room at night so the auto-brightness theories may be correct.

U2Bono269

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a software issue. I noticed it too, but it was when I was using the tablet in iffy light conditions.

The problem lies in the auto-brightness. It seems that the sensor or the software or whatever controls it isn't doing it right, and it flickers. I turned off auto-brightness and downloaded a brightness toggle widget to make it easier to control the brightness, and it hasn't flickered since. I tried to recreate all the scenarios where it was most likely to flicker and it didn't do it once.

Of course, it could just be a fluke that the flicker existed to begin with, or, conversely, a fluke that disabling auto-brightness fixed it. So basically, YMMV.

Give it a go.

I also did the screw-tightening thing and I'm very pleased with how it addressed the issue. Not perfect, but I did that and the brightness adjustment over an hour ago and no issues to report.

Daniel0418

May 14, 2010
Visit site
The flicker definitly exists. I was able to recreate it about 60% of the times I tried. It only happens when the screen is really dim. Below 30%. I think it could be software, but there is no way for me to know for sure. I know its a pain at night, but keep your brightness around 35% or more to avoid seeing it until we find a fix.

Auto brightness on or off makes no difference what so ever. It has to do with dim screen. Its easier to spot on a white back ground in a dark room with the brightness super low. And don't think its not happening to your just cux you lower the brightness and don't see it. During my own testing, it sometimes took 5-10 minutes on low brightness before it began to flicker.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89