Just got a Galaxy Nexus!

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
This is kind of a continuation from what was being discussed in this thread: Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S II Skyrocket?

I ordered a Galaxy Nexus from Google on Sunday evening. It was just delivered today by UPS. Even though I've only been playing with it for about 10 minutes, I love it!

The screen looks great. I am able to use hotspot tethering. Everything is very responsive. I was prompted right away to update to Android 4.0.4.

I was also impressed by the earbuds that come with it. They are the kind where the buds are squishy. Definitely better than what Apple gives you.

Another bonus was the fact I was able to use my micro SIM from my iPhone 4S that I previously had. I just had to position it correctly and I was good to go. I might end up getting a SIM card adapter in the future, but this will work for now.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I like the buds included as well. I might upgrade them in the future (I would like a little more crispness in the highs, and a little more clarity and less mud in the bass), but they certainly work well enough, and for "freebies" (which in my experience are usually CRAP), they certainly exceeded my expectations.

My Gnex is about a month old. Zagg Screenie, Otterbox Commuter, Go Launcher and a couple widgets makes it pretty much perfect :)

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I like the buds included as well. I might upgrade them in the future (I would like a little more crispness in the highs, and a little more clarity and less mud in the bass), but they certainly work well enough, and for "freebies" (which in my experience are usually CRAP), they certainly exceeded my expectations.

My Gnex is about a month old. Zagg Screenie, Otterbox Commuter, Go Launcher and a couple widgets makes it pretty much perfect :)

How do you like the Otterbox Commuter case? It is comfortable while on the phone? I had an Otterbox Commuter for an iPhone 3GS and the top part would hurt my ear if I was on the phone for more than 5 minutes.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with it at all. Generally I'm not on the phone for extended periods, but last weekend I was on the phone for a few hours (talking with family) and It was fine.

I like the drop protection, and I find it MUCH easier to hang on to with the case. The naked Gnex feels pretty slippery. Although now that I've spent some time with it, it is a touch bulky (a TPU case would probably be slimmer and a bit easier to pocket, but still grippy). That being said, my phone pretty much lives in the Otterbox unless I need to pull the battery (rare) or give the screen a good wipe. I like that most of the silicone is covered by the hard shell so it slides in and out of a pocket pretty easily.

And in case you're wondering, the Zagg is OK. Great quality and lifetime warranty, BUT it does add an odd orange-peel kind of look to the screen, giving it an ever so slight distortion. Its much more noticeable with the screen off though. Mixed bag on that one, but I don't like dry-apply screenies. Maybe I'll try a different brand of wet-apply screenie next time. It also feels pretty tacky/sticky for the first few days .

Hope this helps... any other questions? I'll do my best to answer (or anyone else who comes along :))

jeffydude05

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered my Galaxy Nexus from the Google Play store this morning :D. First android device since the Nexus one, it has been awhile. Hopefully mine gets here fast...

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you will. I placed my order Sunday evening. Received an email from Google at around 1 AM on Tuesday stating the order had shipped. Got it on Wednesday at about 2pm. The phones are shipped via UPS 2nd day air, so it's pretty quick. I've heard similar stories from others.

Caballera#AC

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I ordered mine a week ago Thursday and got it Monday. Got it for a dev phone as I'm learning how to make Android apps and I wanted to see what ICS had to offer as I use an iPhone 4S as my main phone. It's pretty nice, although I feel the display is just too big. I'll try not to be too judgmental about the whole phone as I get use to using it.

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I ordered mine a week ago Thursday and got it Monday. Got it for a dev phone as I'm learning how to make Android apps and I wanted to see what ICS had to offer as I use an iPhone 4S as my main phone. It's pretty nice, although I feel the display is just too big. I'll try not to be too judgmental about the whole phone as I get use to using it.

It's all a matter of what you're comfortable with. I've always used smaller phones (Motorola Razr flip phone, BlackBerry Bold 9000, iPhone 3GS, 4, and 4S). However, switching to the Galaxy Nexus has not been an issue. I enjoy the phone's slimness and weight. Because of how it's designed, it fits in my jeans pocket easier and more comfortably then other phones.

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I use this one, Set Your Location fits perfectly on the GSM GNex, was $30 @ the local verizon store and has a kickstand.... perfection IMO.

A guy I work with has one of those for his Motorola Droid RAZR and loves it. I'm still debating on what case I want, if any. I certainly don't want to scratch the plastic, but I don't want to bulk the phone up either. Ideally, want something that covers the back and around the sides of the phone, but doesn't interfere with the front at all.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys having the awful 3G/WiFi/GPS signal issues that are common on the VZW and Sprint versions? The handoffs from network to WiFi are not good and cause a lot of issues. Weak signals overall - typical Samsung yet again.

Better with the GSM version? Hope ur doing better for your sake.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have only had mine for a few days, but I have had no signal issues and no issues with the handoffs between wifi and the cell network. I actually have been very happy and impressed with my signal strength.

MooPenguin32

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Are you guys having the awful 3G/WiFi/GPS signal issues that are common on the VZW and Sprint versions? The handoffs from network to WiFi are not good and cause a lot of issues. Weak signals overall - typical Samsung yet again.

Better with the GSM version? Hope ur doing better for your sake.

No signal issues here. To be honest, I haven't really used the Wi-Fi on it. I mostly just use mobile data as I have an unlimited plan and enjoy pissing AT&T off.

Reactions: dtreo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helaheather7