I willing to bet that we don't get a software update this month.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: I willing to bet that we don't get a software update this mon

Only 8 more days until the official delay of Gingerbread for the Thunderbolt. :)

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to take a WAG and say Oct 3. I think something will prevent them from getting it out on 9/30 or earlier. They will come into work Monday well rested, with clear heads and a mandate to get the OTA out the door ASAP. It will be late on Monday, like 10 or 11 pm eastern. There will be unresolved bugs as the online community has put so much pressure on them to get GB out that they decided it wasn't worth it to take the time to fix every issue. So we here will spend the next year or 2 crying about how this or that bug didn't get fixed, or shouldn't have made it to the OTA yadda yadda yadda until we all swoon over the next hot device. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm going to take a WAG and say Oct 3. I think something will prevent them from getting it out on 9/30 or earlier. They will come into work Monday well rested, with clear heads and a mandate to get the OTA out the door ASAP. It will be late on Monday, like 10 or 11 pm eastern. There will be unresolved bugs as the online community has put so much pressure on them to get GB out that they decided it wasn't worth it to take the time to fix every issue. So we here will spend the next year or 2 crying about how this or that bug didn't get fixed, or shouldn't have made it to the OTA yadda yadda yadda until we all swoon over the next hot device. Wash, rinse and repeat.

That all sounds solid - except for the next year or two crying thing, in a year from now I may be the only person left with a Thunderbolt....and that's only because I am too cheap to pay the contract fee for early cancellation.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Do you want it for the sake of feeling that you're feeling left out or behind? Or is it that you're currently having problems now that you hope will be fixed with the update?

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Do you want it for the sake of feeling that you're feeling left out or behind? Or is it that you're currently having problems now that you hope will be fixed with the update?

I want it because of the improvements. This phone has not lived up to it's original advertisements.

I would like to get what they said I was paying for.

4 more days and counting..................

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Frankly, I want it for the microphone and front-facing camera support in Google Talk. Pretty much that and nothing else.

I wouldn't mind a little better battery management, but I got the extended battery and spend a LOT less time and angst worrying about whether the phone will make it through the day, or fussing about lowering the screen brightness by 10% every time the ambient light changes. I still can't use the screen at 100% full-tilt-boogie all day, but I can easily make it through a day of heavy (for me) use. The screen still takes 60-70% of my battery no matter what I do, and Gingerbread isn't magically going to make the screen more energy-efficient, so anything else I do to save battery is pretty much useless. I don't bother turning off the WiFi or futzing around with any of that because they might save a few percent of what the display isn't snorking down, which means bascially nothing. That big, beautiful display just needs a nuclear power plant to feed it and there's no real way around that.

But I am really looking forward to using my phone instead of my desktop to do video conferences on Google Talk.

droid83

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Just got a replacement for the Tbolt last week and 3 reboot today in less than 2 hours. 4 days till the end of september. I'm begining to think we're not getting bread this month.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Just got a replacement for the Tbolt last week and 3 reboot today in less than 2 hours. 4 days till the end of september. I'm begining to think we're not getting bread this month.

Verizon says no Gingerbread for the TB customers - let them eat Eclair!

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

I want it because of the improvements. This phone has not lived up to it's original advertisements.

I would like to get what they said I was paying for.

4 more days and counting..................

Being a techno junkie I feel your pain.

I was talking with my techno illiterate friend the other day about cellphone technology and where we came from to now where we are. He has a basic cell that doesn't even have a keypad on it and he send me long messages. I tell him the benefits of a keyboard, but he tells me he is ok.

The problem I have with the argument of "they promised me this phone would do this or that" is that they can only:

1. Do so much with a technology. I know the TBolt isn't that old in human years, but in techno years, it is middle aged or at least approaching the HILL.

2. When you bought a car say in Jan. of 2011, you know that the new models will be out in the summer time. They never sold you a car with the promise of "Well, we know this car isn't perfect and the new models come out in 4 months, bring it back and we will upgrade it for you". They only fix things with a recall. The TBolt hasn't been recalled and we (ME included) are demanding a upgrade to our phones. HTC and VZW are going to give it to us, but we just have to be a little more patient.

When I bought my TBolt, no where in the paperwork does it say "Look, we know this is running a current software version, but, pssssssssst, in 6 or 8 months we are going to OTA it with a newer one". They never made any promises to upgrade software....they have fixed things with patches.

But with all that said, I am too looking forward to the GB update, not because it is promised to me, but because I am a techno geek that likes to tinker around with my phone.

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site

According to HTC's twitter: "@dmkazich Yes, it remains scheduled for this month. :) Thank you."

jdg1

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Downloaded the latest RUU for the TB. Just wondering if can I hold out till Friday before I pull the trigger. I have no problems with my TB today other than meeting invites through Microsoft Exchange. I doubt very seriously Gingerbread will help me there. And so far I don't know of anyone who has video conferencing capabilities that I would even talk to.
I may just be nervous about nothing but I need it to be a phone most of all and right now I have no complaints there.
Feel free to talk me into taking the plunge:cool:

JVH1982

May 8, 2011
Visit site

When I bought my TBolt, no where in the paperwork does it say "Look, we know this is running a current software version, but, pssssssssst, in 6 or 8 months we are going to OTA it with a newer one". They never made any promises to upgrade software....they have fixed things with patches.

But with all that said, I am too looking forward to the GB update, not because it is promised to me, but because I am a techno geek that likes to tinker around with my phone.
I think the promises alluded to are not that an update was promised, rather certain expectations of functionality were promised (Skype, Google Talk, doesn't boot-loop, lets you know you have a VM, can find GPS sats, etc.) and not delivered upon release. Now we are months post-release and certain features are still not completely functional. For me it's not about "give me GB or give me death"... It's about "make sure the thing does what it is supposed to do, and make sure it does it well". Hopping off the soap-box now....