I willing to bet that we don't get a software update this month.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: I willing to bet that we don't get a software update this mon

"Decent?!" HA! You've down graded your prediction from "perfect" to "decent".... are you losing your patience with Verizon too Mom? ;)

LOL actually whichever works right? I talked to HTC and it hasn't been released yet so that's why Verizon doesn't have it. The couldn't give a time frame when it will be released.

"Mom":p

RJSAdvisors

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

It seems as though Verizon might be deliberately holding off on the GB OTA update for the ThunderBolt in order to jump start sales of the new Motorola Droid Bionic. Doing so gives the Bionic the advantage of being VZ's only 4G LTE device currently running GB. If the TB also had GB right now, some VZ customers might prefer the TB's form factor, the unique TB kickstand, the TB's HTC Sense UI, the greater memory the TB offers for storing files, and the TB screen that some users prefer over the Bionic's design. The difference in performance speed between the Bionic and the TB is likely to be negligible at this point because the performance will be primarily related to the speed of VZ's 4G network. Software will need to be written to take advantage of the Bionic's dual core processor before the processor has much of an impact, and that will take awhile.

Hopefully VZ will still issue the GB update for the TB by the end of September after having given the Bionic a chance to get a strong sales start. Perhaps VZ also wants to do Google a favor since they just offered to buy Motorola.

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread supports multi threading. There is no reason a customer would choose a thunderbolt over a bionic, period. There's no politics involved with this software release, it's just not ready yet.

-stock HTC Thunderbolt tapatalk

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

LOL actually whichever works right? I talked to HTC and it hasn't been released yet so that's why Verizon doesn't have it. The couldn't give a time frame when it will be released.

"Mom":p

Could you give them one more downgrade to maybe, "usable"? It might help them hit their September target date. ;)

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Gingerbread supports multi threading. There is no reason a customer would choose a thunderbolt over a bionic, period. There's no politics involved with this software release, it's just not ready yet.

People buy Droid phones with bated breath on the day of release. Once it has been out for two months their desires turn to the next new release - Thunderbolt has overstayed it's welcome.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

It seems as though Verizon might be deliberately holding off on the GB OTA update for the ThunderBolt in order to jump start sales of the new Motorola Droid Bionic. Doing so gives the Bionic the advantage of being VZ's only 4G LTE device currently running GB. If the TB also had GB right now, some VZ customers might prefer the TB's form factor, the unique TB kickstand, the TB's HTC Sense UI, the greater memory the TB offers for storing files, and the TB screen that some users prefer over the Bionic's design. The difference in performance speed between the Bionic and the TB is likely to be negligible at this point because the performance will be primarily related to the speed of VZ's 4G network. Software will need to be written to take advantage of the Bionic's dual core processor before the processor has much of an impact, and that will take awhile.

Hopefully VZ will still issue the GB update for the TB by the end of September after having given the Bionic a chance to get a strong sales start. Perhaps VZ also wants to do Google a favor since they just offered to buy Motorola.

I don't think Verizon is deliberately holding off on the GB OTA update for the Thunderbolt, I think they don't have enough manpower to get GB (or any new OS update) ready for each different phone they sell. Verizon wants to sell a boatload of phones, plane and simple they don't care if they are TB or Bionics, as long as they move the numbers out the door.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

The reasons why customers buy what they buy are varied. Some people hate Moto, some people love Moto - some people hate HTC, some people love HTC. Phone choice is a personal matter, it's just that most people here are Tech hounds and crave the latest and greatest.....the general masses that buy these phone are enamored by how they look and feel in their hands.

Reactions: Mortiel

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The reasons why customers buy what they buy are varied. Some people hate Moto, some people love Moto - some people hate HTC, some people love HTC. Phone choice is a personal matter, it's just that most people here are Tech hounds and crave the latest and greatest.....the general masses that buy these phone are enamored by how they look and feel in their hands.

This

Sent from my Thunderbolt using tapatalk

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
In that respect the bionic does well too. If verizon I'd concerned about the sellability of the bionic they're nuts. If someone is set on htc then that's what they'll get but most people are open to influence. I've watched my friends work and see how verizon sales works. Another thing they can throw at then is that moto mobile just got bought by google so the bionic will have the best updates.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

Gingerbread supports multi threading. There is no reason a customer would choose a thunderbolt over a bionic, period.

I would. I really don't like the look and feel of the Bionic and I don't like Motoblur (and I don't want to root to get rid of it). Given the choice, I would take the TB right now.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Perhaps VZ also wants to do Google a favor since they just offered to buy Motorola.

I hope and pray that singe Google bought Motorola Phone division, they don't become like an APPLE...and only do things and updates for their phones. If they do that, the TB will probably be my last Android and I will go back to strings and cans!.....LOLOL

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

In that respect the bionic does well too. If verizon is concerned about the sellability of the bionic they're nuts. If someone is set on htc then that's what they'll get but most people are open to influence. I've watched my friends work and see how verizon sales works. Another thing they can throw at then is that moto mobile just got bought by google so the bionic will have the best updates.

Just to make this clear, everyone has read the statements that Google has made that Motorola will be 100% its own branch (for now at least), and that the Nexus bidding will continue as it is, right?

Motorola is not getting any special treatment from its new owners, at least for now. Sorry to the Bionic fanboys, but they will have to wait through the painstaking process just like everyone else.

And for anyone concerned with Google will be like Apple now, read this article:

A more Googley idea for what can be done with Motorola

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Ah, I loved when this came out into the open... Actually, I love anytime a piece of information is taken completely out of context.

The "lead concept device" was actually fleshed out in the Nexus program, of which ironically enough neither Motorola or Verizon have ever been part as of today. Its where a blind bid-winning manufacturer gets non-contractual time to work specifically with Google to develop a device to Google's specifications. As a result, the manufacturer of said Nexus device also gets new Android software before other manufacturers do by a long shot.

Here's the funny part: Lets say Samsung makes the Nexus S. They were given Gingerbread before anyone else and worked hand-in-hand with Google to launch a flagship device showcasing Gingerbread. Lets say Ice Cream Sandwich is compatible with the Nexus S. Samsung would also get ICS before other manufacturers solely for the Nexus S, but after whomever makes the ICS Nexus, which in this case is ironically also Samsung. When they get the new launch version, they are required to immediately get it ready for the Nexus device, but they have to wait a specific period before they are allowed to launch it for other devices they manufacture to maintain market balance. At least that's what some of my friends at HTC tell me from their experience with the Nexus One.

Yeah, don't believe everything you read.

The only this I don't 100% agree with that Google does is not to develop in the open, but I do understand it. Mozilla can develop in the open because the internet browser market is a fraction as competitive as the mobile technology market, and even then I am certain that bigger companies have stolen some of the features Mozilla had in development. Google waits until they have completely developed the code before releasing it to the public, so that way they can remain competitive to rivals. I do not like the practice, but more than that I do not like that Google even HAS to do it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29