Current AT&T users: happy or unhappy?

conan1071

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: current AT&T users. happy? not happy?

I had a smartphone on ATT since the original iPhone until last year. Their service was always average where I lived in Colorado Springs with a few well known dead zones. I traveled to the Long Island/NYC area frequently as well as Wisconsin/Chicago from time to time and service in Wisconsin was terrible, almost entirely edge roaming and wasn't reliable at all. Same went for NY except it was their native network and was also incredibly unreliable for me. I moved to Boulder, CO a few years ago and had almost no reception in my house and ATT said they couldn't do anything about it, I switched to Verizon and have never looked back after being fed up with ATT. I have full LTE coverage everywhere in Boulder, Colorado Springs, Illinois and the NYC/Long Island area with reliable data and even more reliable calls. In Wisconsin I at least get reliable 3g roaming now which is better than nothing. I have maybe dropped less than 10 calls on Verizon if that over the last year where ATT I couldn't even count how many but I could predict when it would happen since it happened almost like clockwork.

Obviously my experience won't be the same for everyone, but I travel all over the country and can say that Verizon is much more consistent in the vast majority of locations versus ATT in my personal experience. I'm not a Verizon fanboy or an ATT hater, I would absolutely love to go back to ATT if they got their coverage in order; I've had similar customer service experiences on both as well, maybe a bit better on Verizon so that's never been an issue for me. The reason I would love to go back to ATT is because I much prefer the GSM standard over CDMA+LTE for many reasons, but not enough to sacrifice on coverage, because ATT simply is very bad in the locations I most frequent in my personal experience.

I recommend trying it out before you commit, if the places you spend the most time in have good ATT coverage I would recommend them, since when I had good ATT coverage their call quality and data speeds were excellent, but my problem was the bad spots out numbered the good spots too often.

I have a prepaid ATT sim card that I throw in my Verizon iPhone 5 to test them out for a bit to see if they have improved anything, The signal in my house has seemed to improve a bit, but my data speeds are still less than 1mbps on HSPA+ and no LTE in my area still. When on Verizon LTE I get 12+ on average and on EVDO I get 1.5-2 mbps, which is sad that EVDO beats HSPA+ in my house.

Where in Illinois and Wisconsin? I am in the Chicago area and Verizon 4g goes to 3g or voice often. Was just in Columbus, WI. and got horrible verizon

SpringCTIL

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

The only real issue I have with AT&T or any other carrier for that matter is all the bloatware they dump on the phone that I the paying customer can't delete unless I want to void their warranty & try rooting the phone.

I have the SGS2 & it works fine on AT&T's system albeit on 4G. All I really want is all AT&T's bloateware off because I want on the phone only those apps I will use & the one thing Samsung forgot the voice dialing feature.

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Specifically Aurora, Naperville and Rockford in IL, all of which both ATT and Verizon were pretty equal. The only trouble spot in IL for ATT really for me was the drive between Aurora and Rockford, my ATT iPhone would be spotty while Verizon I would at least have stable EVDO.

In WI I drive up from Chicago along the lake front to the end of the Door County Peninsula where some family of mine has a house, and that drive ATT is only useful up until about Manitowoc and from there forward Verizon is smuch more use-able while ATT sputters down to edge pretty much. When you actually are in Door County, ATT's roaming partners are useless (I believe its bug tussel and airfire mobile), its entirely edge and at my family's house there isn't service for a mile in any direction with a GSM phone. With my Verizon phone, however, I have 3g service all over the peninsula including their house, it isn't the fastest, but it's better than edge.

This is just my experience so I can totally see a state like WI which seems to have terrible coverage by all the big carriers being a total crap shoot on coverage at any given location. All of my experience in WI is on the lake side almost exclusively up to Green Bay/Door county and down to Milwaukee. Also, Chicago and the burbs is a huge market and any carrier will most likely be at least adequate.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

I had a smartphone on ATT since the original iPhone until last year. Their service was always average where I lived in Colorado Springs with a few well known dead zones. I traveled to the Long Island/NYC area frequently as well as Wisconsin/Chicago from time to time and service in Wisconsin was terrible, almost entirely edge roaming and wasn't reliable at all. Same went for NY except it was their native network and was also incredibly unreliable for me. I moved to Boulder, CO a few years ago and had almost no reception in my house and ATT said they couldn't do anything about it, I switched to Verizon and have never looked back after being fed up with ATT. I have full LTE coverage everywhere in Boulder, Colorado Springs, Illinois and the NYC/Long Island area with reliable data and even more reliable calls. In Wisconsin I at least get reliable 3g roaming now which is better than nothing. I have maybe dropped less than 10 calls on Verizon if that over the last year where ATT I couldn't even count how many but I could predict when it would happen since it happened almost like clockwork.

Obviously my experience won't be the same for everyone, but I travel all over the country and can say that Verizon is much more consistent in the vast majority of locations versus ATT in my personal experience. I'm not a Verizon fanboy or an ATT hater, I would absolutely love to go back to ATT if they got their coverage in order; I've had similar customer service experiences on both as well, maybe a bit better on Verizon so that's never been an issue for me. The reason I would love to go back to ATT is because I much prefer the GSM standard over CDMA+LTE for many reasons, but not enough to sacrifice on coverage, because ATT simply is very bad in the locations I most frequent in my personal experience.

I recommend trying it out before you commit, if the places you spend the most time in have good ATT coverage I would recommend them, since when I had good ATT coverage their call quality and data speeds were excellent, but my problem was the bad spots out numbered the good spots too often.

I have a prepaid ATT sim card that I throw in my Verizon iPhone 5 to test them out for a bit to see if they have improved anything, The signal in my house has seemed to improve a bit, but my data speeds are still less than 1mbps on HSPA+ and no LTE in my area still. When on Verizon LTE I get 12+ on average and on EVDO I get 1.5-2 mbps, which is sad that EVDO beats HSPA+ in my house.

That just sucks. Sorry to hear lol. Since I moved to Aurora 3 years ago, I haven't had an issue with AT&T service. Little spotty in boulder but fine in Colorado springs. Although when I'm there for business it's on the main streets of the 25. But more people I meet have Verizon out here. LTE lit up today, not officially I guess but it's here in Denver. Even without it I don't get below 3mbps. Not where I frequent at least, all of Aurora, generous village, downtown Denver, north Colorado springs, Westminster and a few other cities. He'll of a lot better reception/data than T-Mobile and Sprint (which I have through work) that's for sure.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

The only real issue I have with AT&T or any other carrier for that matter is all the bloatware they dump on the phone that I the paying customer can't delete unless I want to void their warranty & try rooting the phone.

I have the SGS2 & it works fine on AT&T's system albeit on 4G. All I really want is all AT&T's bloateware off because I want on the phone only those apps I will use & the one thing Samsung forgot the voice dialing feature.

With all the memory and space on newer phones, I'm not sure why this is still am issue. AT&T has like 2 more pre loaded apps than VZW or Sprint lol. I just disable them on my one x.

zarcarr

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

I am not happy with the EDGE only coverage. Very slow. Search on Google for AT&T Coverage viewer and see if they offer at least 3G. If they don't and only offer EDGE I wouldn't recomend going to AT&T.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Just switched from sprint on Monday to At&t and couldnt be happier :D

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Just switched from sprint on Monday to At&t and couldnt be happier :D

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk

I was with Sprint for over 7 years and about 9 months ago I made the jump to att. Sense then its been nothing but smooth! Coverage is good and the HSPA+ is awesome IMO. Glad to see you made the jump to some real service as well! Welcome to att!

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

In Arkansas AT&T is the best of the worst. No one in this area has good signals or service. I have used iPhones for the last 6 or 7 years and the updates were coming and coming . Always an update to a better OS on the iPhone. Now have an HTC and just after getting it and too late to exchange they come out with a X+ with the Jelly Bean update. Still stuck with the HTC and no updates and none in the forecast. Have 3 lines on the plan. One on unlimited data , one on limited data, and one plain jane phone no data. A bit pricey. but still the best of the worst.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

Had AT&T for years and had no complaints. Company I worked for required me to switch to Verizon because they pay for my phone bill and struck a deal with them for a discount. Horrible experience. Tons of dropped calls, poor voice quality and 3G downloads that crawl like dial up. And customer service is a joke; they're arrogant and rude. It made me appreciate what I had with AT&T and as soon as my contract is up I'm going back to AT&T and pay for the phone myself.

That's pretty much my experience with Verizon.

GadgetgirL76

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

I live in a small city in NC and have been with AT&T since 02.
We have LTE and it is lovely. Check out my speeds. No complaints!

sent from my AT&T GN2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361200924667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361200924667.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 193

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

I made the move from 7 years of Sprint to ATT in November.
Ive found ATT to have better coverage , Data speeds , CS , Corps stores etc well worth the extra 20.00 a month.

ATT LTE arrived in my area - VA Beach a couple weeks ago providing 40.00Mbps/29.00Mbps data speeds which is faster then my cox cable internet.
I ran a speed test on my buddy's Sprint Galaxy Note 2 last night finding very sketchy LTE performance with speeds 1.50Mbps/1.00Mbps.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I have been with att now for all most 9 months. I had Sprint for about 7-8 years. Att has offered me MUCH better coverage, CS and support over all. With my discount I save about 20% off my total bill. Making att a whole $10 more a month. BUT I have switched to Google for my texting needs and phone call needs and saved another $25 a month. Making att $10 less! (About $65 a month for 450 minutes, ZERO texts but I have Google voice and 3 gigs of data that I don't even come close to using fully.)

So here is some advice...USE GOOGLE VOICE! save more and just let people use that number instead. I like att so far! Plus I'm glad I ditched the later network. (Sprint)

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I checked the plans. Right now I have 2 phones on T-Mobile with 2GB of 4G service and unlimited voice/text/data for $60 each. The same same plan on T-Mobile for shared 4GB is $150. ($70 + $40 for each phone.) I just cannot get the math to work.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Do you have any links to articles, particularly At&t?

Well u gotta be patient bro nv is coming

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361997388758.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361997388758.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 75
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361997404171.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361997404171.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 75

jusmebabe

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

I was with Sprint for 9 years. I switched to Att Feb 2nd and love it. They even waved the activation for both lines. It's nice to see that 4g and 4g lte symbol which I never saw on my Sprint phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I was with Sprint for 9 years. I switched to Att Feb 2nd and love it. They even waved the activation for both lines. It's nice to see that 4g and 4g lte symbol which I never saw on my Sprint phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Chea depends on your area. Glad your happy though :). I can't blame anyone for leaving if your area didn't get NV... The 3g without it is awful.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

slik6996

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site

I too recently switched from sprint to ATT and love ATT compared to sprint I live in phoenix and Las Vegas both have great LTE for ATT while sprint sucked in Phoenix and Las Vegas I am glad I made the switch. My dad has sprint and his s3 drops calls and takes 3min to load a web page. I have the galaxy note 2 on ATT takes me 2sec to load something. And I get no more dropped calls inside my dorm room. Yes I pay more but the service is worth it. Could not be happier.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site

I too recently switched from sprint to ATT and love ATT compared to sprint I live in phoenix and Las Vegas both have great LTE for ATT while sprint sucked in Phoenix and Las Vegas I am glad I made the switch. My dad has sprint and his s3 drops calls and takes 3min to load a web page. I have the galaxy note 2 on ATT takes me 2sec to load something. And I get no more dropped calls inside my dorm room. Yes I pay more but the service is worth it. Could not be happier.

I am thinking of switching to att&t and would like some advice of which phone or should get used do I don't sign a two year contract yet because I want to wait to see what phones come out thus yer don't want to get stuck with last year's technology.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174