Anybody getting cold feet with their Note 10 order?

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
The rear fingerprint reader is an excellent way to open the phone. It also controls functions on the display to make using the phone easier.

What could you do with the FP reader on the rear, that you can't do with it on the front? Yes, you could swipe the notification shade from the back, but you can also do that from the front right? And you unlock it from the back, but from the front also. I must be missing something, because I don't have to swipe from the top to open my notifications. Help me understand why the FP reader on the back is so much more functional that it becomes inconvenient to have on the front.

gyounk

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Everything on the OP's list I don't use, except for the haptic home button. That one I will miss. BUT with what the Note 10+ brings makes up for those little features that are going bye bye.

Gestures on the fingerprint scanner in the back - bad design and it sucked. It was hard enough to fish for the fingerprint sensor anyway. I am glad the front screen is the fingerprint sensor now.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What could you do with the FP reader on the rear, that you can't do with it on the front? Yes, you could swipe the notification shade from the back, but you can also do that from the front right? And you unlock it from the back, but from the front also. I must be missing something, because I don't have to swipe from the top to open my notifications. Help me understand why the FP reader on the back is so much more functional that it becomes inconvenient to have on the front.

Another posters pic from best buy. Tell me where is his thumb? Where is his index finger? There is a reason they put the rear fingerprint scanner on the back. Cause your index finger is already there. The default position of your thumb is not on the home button. There is also a reason why phone makers also made rfs into a gestures to control the display....because it's easier.

There is also a business reason to remove the rear fingerprint scanner...to reduce costa....that's the apple way but it's a lost feature to the consumer. Huawei may have both front and rear.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use gestures while an app is open to co trol the notifications. I'm sure there's a way but it's not from using the stock OS.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190809-100330_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190809-100330_Gallery.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Another posters pic from best buy. Tell me where is his thumb? Where is his index finger? There is a reason they put the rear fingerprint scanner on the back. Cause your index finger is already there. The default position of your thumb is not on the home button.

There is also a business reason to remove the rear fingerprint scanner...to reduce costa....that's the apple way but it's a lost feature to the consumer.

Huawei may have both front and rear.

I don't know about anybody else, but I wouldn't hold my phone like that irl. I use my pinky finger to brace my phone along the bottom. I'm a butterfingers though, so maybe it's just me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Another posters pic from best buy. Tell me where is his thumb? Where is his index finger? There is a reason they put the rear fingerprint scanner on the back. Cause your index finger is already there. The default position of your thumb is not on the home button.

There is also a business reason to remove the rear fingerprint scanner...to reduce costa....that's the apple way but it's a lost feature to the consumer.

Huawei may have both front and rear.
Not debating which one is better but I'm not sure removing the rear sensor cuts costs. The in screen FPS might be more expensive.
If you referring to device that has both and removes one that would be another story.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I missed actual fingerprint sensor on the S10 series, don't care where it's located since the on screen fingerprint reader on the S10 was not the greatest in my opinion. There was huge debate of registering it incorrectly, do it this way/that way but still was a pain. But with OP7 pro the on screen fingerprint reader was great and worked as reliable/fast as the physical fingerprint sensor. So I'm good if the Note 10 fps works as good as the OP7 pro

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I missed actual fingerprint sensor on the S10 series, don't care where it's located since the on screen fingerprint reader on the S10 was not the greatest in my opinion. There was huge debate of registering it incorrectly, do it this way/that way but still was a pain. But with OP7 pro the on screen fingerprint reader was great and worked as reliable/fast as the physical fingerprint sensor. So I'm good if the Note 10 fps works as good as the OP7 pro
The one on the 1+7 pro is flawless , what I like about note 10 is they put it a little higher on the display which would make it more comfortable for me.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I pretty much agree. What is the 4GB you mention? .... typo?

"So I chose the Note 10+ 4g 256gb...."

Lol, 4g instead of 5g.

As for FPS I do remember the Note 8 FPS placement and people were freaking out because they kept smudging the camera, then the same with Note 9, people were screaming where is the in screen FPS
So now we have it!

I have used the Note since the Note 2 and each year its changed until the Note 4 came with a FPS, but you had to swipe it, then Note 7 (Note 5 not officially released in the Uk) came and the FPS was in the home button also , but every year you got used to it and after a while it became second nature. I must admit I prefer the Note 9 sensor over all the others but that could change soon :)

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about anybody else, but I wouldn't hold my phone like that irl. I use my pinky finger to brace my phone along the bottom. I'm a butterfingers though, so maybe it's just me.

Not just you. I do that as well. I usually hold my phone in my right hand, so I'm not sure what I would use the power button on the left for, except when I wanted to power it down (shut it off). I would use my right thumb on the front to log in. If I do hole it in my left hand to swype/type, then I also use my little finger on the bottom.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
not cold feet really but a little bit of 2nd thoughts maybe after finding out we only get 256gb 4g version here in Ireland, I have the Note 9 8gb/512gb already

Yeah I see what your saying but that spec is still awesome!
12gb memory, Exynos 9825 7nm, 256gb Hdd with SD card option.
This is what I got coming right here!

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Another posters pic from best buy. Tell me where is his thumb? Where is his index finger? There is a reason they put the rear fingerprint scanner on the back. Cause your index finger is already there. The default position of your thumb is not on the home button. There is also a reason why phone makers also made rfs into a gestures to control the display....because it's easier.

There is also a business reason to remove the rear fingerprint scanner...to reduce costa....that's the apple way but it's a lost feature to the consumer. Huawei may have both front and rear.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use gestures while an app is open to co trol the notifications. I'm sure there's a way but it's not from using the stock OS.

I'd be willing to bet he's holding it that way to show the phone for the photo. Otherwise, it could slide right out of his hand. When I'm not using a case with a pop socket, I'm a pinky bracer. When I pick my phone up, my index finger IS by the fps, but the default position of my thumb is actually near where the fps seems to be situated so either way works for me. I do see your point about sliding down the notification while in an app.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

If I held my phone like the guy in the pic, is have an awkward time trying to use the rear fps. I hold it much lower if I want to use the rear fps. It's all going to be a matter of personal preference. I've never been a fan of the rear fps. I rarely use it other than as a password for an app (usually banking). And most times I use such apps, it would be more convenient to have it in from as it may be on a dock, or sitting flat on a table. I use trusted devices and location most times so I rarely need to enter security info, but I usually just use the passcode. I never use the rear fps gestures. So while it may affect you negatively, I prefer the changes. Again, it's a matter of personal preference.

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I may be a little ignorant but you say losing the iris scanner? If that's the case does that mean the new FP scanner will basically be the only biometric way of unlocking one's device?

Other than that, no, I can't wait. If only for the upgrades camera features.

stephenrus

Aug 27, 2018
Visit site
There's significant features lost from the Note 9 to the Note 10.

-Iris scanner
-haptic feedback home button
-Finger Gestures
-Rear fingerprint
-Headphone jack for some but not me
-Power button on the right
-Extra reprogrammable button (known to some as Bixby)

These features make using such a big phone a lot easier and they will be missed if traded in for the Note 10.

I went to Best Buy and compared the Note 9 vs Note 10. Here is an example of the N9 being easier to use. When you have a YouTube video up to full screen, on the Note 9 you tap where the (haptic) home button is to get out of app and to the home screen. You can't do this on the Note 10. You have to swipe up and then hit the home button. This extra step on the Note 10 seems small but this is one of many examples of how the Note 9 is easier to use.

On the plus side for the Note 10, I was impressed with the camera especially the wide screen camera and how it and the other cameras are integrated to make it seem like you're using 1.

Seeing the Note 9 and Note 10 next to each other, it's not easy justifying paying $500 plus the Note 9 for a 10 especially when you're giving up several features.

Gonna think twice about giving up the 9 for the 10. I'll most likely get it but seeing the two next to each other the thought of cancelling my order does cross my mind.

View attachment 306459

I though Note 10+ has Irish scanner. I saw it on Samsung website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abes