So the impossible happened, I bought an iPhone. Impressions...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I don’t know. I don’t think it’s about that really. Can we at least wait until the P4 is out before proclaiming things? Different folks value different things. It’s always good to remember that.
Exactly.....and I often tell people that it doesn't matter which device is best. It matters which device is best for you.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying it's not the best overall phone, but at least tell us why you make that proclamation. Of course you have the right to feel that way but I'm thinking it's mainly your opinion which is also fine.

Let's just say, four years in, Google's shortcomings are really apparent. For example, will the Pixel 4 XL even compete with the iPhone 11 Pro Max in battery life? I'm not confident it will.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
It’s the opposite. It’s a “this stuff doesn’t have to be about ‘vs’ at all”. Just a post about someone who has always advocated for Android and my experience “on the other side” so far.

It’s not a review really but more of listing what my eternal concerns about iOS were and how they compared to reality and the fact that I probably overestimated the importance of a few things for my use case.

Roger that. I see what you're saying ..

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think it's fair for Disignori to post their thoughts, especially after being a long time Android fan. Personally I don't care for the iphone and I have one for work which I dislike using. I can't say it's a bad phone or not worthy of my attention. It does some things better than Android. I think if IOS adopted some features that are currently unique to Android we might all be converts, but for the moment it's not my cup of tea.

I hear you, but this isn't a sub on general iPhone vs Android (which might should be placed in general). The post is in a specific Pixel 4 Sub, which to me suggests it's a "I bought the iPhone instead of the Pixel 4 (which isn't even out)" that suggest it's a "vs", IMO.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Let's just say, four years in, Google's shortcomings are really apparent. For example, will the Pixel 4 XL even compete with the iPhone 11 Pro Max in battery life? I'm not confident it will.
I'm not trying give you a hard time but when you say best overall phone it can't just be a comparison against Google. I was under the impression you were including all brands and devices.

Also, shouldn't we have the Pixel in hand before hand over the trophy to Apple?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I hear you, but this isn't a sub on general iPhone vs Android (which might should be placed in general). The post is in a specific Pixel 4 Sub, which to me suggests it's a "I bought the iPhone instead of the Pixel 4 (which isn't even out)" that suggest it's a "vs", IMO.
While I agree with you in some ways I think it's fair because Disignori mentions they bought it while waiting to buy the rumored Pixel 4.
When I come across a thread I feel is in the wrong sub I bring it to the attention of the mods and let them decide. I think this one can go either way.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
While I agree with you in some ways I think it's fair because Disignori mentions they bought it while waiting to buy the rumored Pixel 4.
When I come across a thread I feel is in the wrong sub I bring it to the attention of the mods and let them decide. I think this one can go either way.

Fair enough .. I'll flag it for review.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not trying give you a hard time but when you say best overall phone it can't just be a comparison against Google. I was under the impression you were including all brands and devices.

Also, shouldn't we have the Pixel in hand before hand over the trophy to Apple?

I did say "... right now." ;)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's funny , people hate things on apple and people buy them , then you have people hate things on pixel but they buy them also.
They both suck at base storage and price at release. But I'll own both always

anon(5990673)

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
As a LONG TIME Android user (since the OG Droid), I actually bought my first iPhone a few days ago, the iPhone 11 Pro Max. I made the move mostly based on:
(1) The apparently improved camera and
(2) The great battery life promised.

I have bounced mostly among Pixels and Galaxy Notes over the last 5 years or so. It's quite strange as I consider myself an Android evangelist. I've used: The OG Droid, Galaxy S, HTC Droid DNA, Galaxy S4, S5, Note 5, Note 7, Pixel XL, Pixel 2 XL, and Note 9.

So far, color me very impressed with the iPhone 11 Pro Max. A few early impressions:
- The battery life so far is flat out really, really great. I won’t go into SOT and all that, but it is WAY better for battery life so far than any Android phone I’ve used. I can't tell you how important this is to me. Obviously value propositions are specific to users, but this is really an important factor for me.
- The camera seems very good. I’ll need more testing, but so far I’m impressed with the smoothness of the camera UI, and the results. I still think the P4 will end up being the better photo camera, but I felt (and still feel) that now the 2 are close enough in photo quality that this is not a deciding factor.
- The speed and fluidity of iOS is really as good as advertised. iOS 13.1 overall with this hardware feels on another level – polish wise – than Pixels or Galaxy Notes. It pains me to say this I must say.
- iMessage is fine. I still don’t see the big deal (and I can’t even pin contacts or change colors/font, etc). Still, it is very functional and cross-device compatible. I like Textra better.
- Gestures and face unlock work perfectly. No issues at all with either yet. Authenticating apps, etc with FaceID is very convenient and smooth. App switching into multi-view is OK, but, like all gesture-based options, it is slower than any Android button for recents. Switching quickly(without the overview screen) to recent apps on iOS is pretty awesome, to my surprise.
- Dark mode is excellent on iOS 13.
- It is not perfect certainly. Trying to get calls-only from my BT headset is impossible (in iOS you HAVE to route both Media and calls, so music always plays there unless I turn off the BT headset). Trying to get a ringtone (locally saved on my PC) I want to work with an app on iOS has been beyond ridiculous to get to work. There are many other small things I am used to on Android that I just can’t do or set how I want on iOS. Of course, Apple forcing default apps still blows. Critically for me however, these things are much less important in real use to me than I envisioned before I took the plunge, at least so far.
- The late Pixel launch date DEFINITELY affected at least this one customer, since I would probably have the P4 now if it launched in July or August..

It is early times, but so far I do not have any buyer's regret. I'm sure that will come around 10/15 :) . If anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer if I have time.

I've used the iPhone 4, that was my first and last iPhone. After that it was all blackberry, in the end it was the blackberry Passport and then jumped to S8+, S9+ and now S10+

I've been having this weird itch after seeing the iPhone 11 Pro Max... I use a MacBook Pro, and my family is in the apple eco system.I am the only one with Samsung S10Plus... I want to get the 11 Pro Max but I know I will miss out the android customisation.

What do I do ???

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I've used the iPhone 4, that was my first and last iPhone. After that it was all blackberry, in the end it was the blackberry Passport and then jumped to S8+, S9+ and now S10+

I've been having this weird itch after seeing the iPhone 11 Pro Max... I use a MacBook Pro, and my family is in the apple eco system.I am the only one with Samsung S10Plus... I want to get the 11 Pro Max but I know I will miss out the android customisation.

What do I do ???

Well only you can decide what is the most value to you. For me it has always been Android's customization and Google integration. It turns out now that Google makes pretty damn good iOS apps I am finding out. Also, for me the supreme battery life and a finally competitive camera make me take this chance.

For you though, the only thing that matters is what you value and what things each phone can do for you.

ezdoit

Sep 20, 2019
Visit site

What do I do ???

Get one and try it out, you may or may not like it. You can read all the reviews/opinions you want, hands on is still the best test IMO.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Good for you, like many here said only you can decide what phone is best for you. I got an iPad 6th generation and a iPhone 7 for work, gave my iPhone 8+ to my wife so I could get a pixel 3.

For me, iPhones are very good devices but never have been able to be my main device. My 8+ was second to my note 8 then note 9. I think the battery life was awesome on my 8+ so I used it for media and my Notes for everything else. I've never been able to determine for myself that iOS runs so much better than Android, other than battery standby life, streaming battery life and how quickly the share a link icons come up, they run relatively the same to me.

I think apple have always made a good competitive product that works well but hasn't been the best overall for me since maybe the iPhone 4s IMO. At any rate, isn't it great that we are now in a time where cheap Chinese Brands all the way to the top oems make really good products and really nobody can go wrong. Just find a device for your budget, has the most features you use and has the look that you like or can at least live with. Heck I know in these forum's it's blasphemy, but really we live in a time where it really doesn't need to be a new device every year and it truly isn't necessary to buy the latest and greatest, but we just have those options to if we want.
Well only you can decide what is the most value to you. For me it has always been Android's customization and Google integration. It turns out now that Google makes pretty damn good iOS apps I am finding out. Also, for me the supreme battery life and a finally competitive camera make me take this chance.

For you though, the only thing that matters is what you value and what things each phone can do for you.

anon(5990673)

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
Get one and try it out, you may or may not like it. You can read all the reviews/opinions you want, hands on is still the best test IMO.

Ive watch plenty of review videos, and I feel I may have to get one but there's a voice in me saying don't ??????????????????

anon(5990673)

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site

How do you find the display ?

I may have to get one and try it out, and then decide ! I can live without customisations, its not a huge deal breaker.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klesun