Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8): The Bezel

Am I alone in thinking that people are overreacting bug time to the bezel in the leaks? I realise that it may have not been the smartest use of the space, but its hardly the deal breaker that people are making it out to be. Its kind of stupid to pass over what may be the best android phone of 2014, or at least the best looking/built one just over a bezel, right? Besides, they could surprise us by not having it on the final model (there's been speculation that the big-bezel leaks are actually the mini) or even have gesture waking (ala BlackBerry 10 phones). Feel free to agree/disagree.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-26-2014 at 09:16 PM.
    Thanked by:
    coronaboy10 likes this.

Global Posts
    20,732 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: The Bezel

You are absolutely right about the images are leaks. Nothing concrete. However, I agree that when you have the front facing speakers adding to the length of the device and assuming that they are also moving to onscreen buttons, having a black bar at the bottom serves no purpose.
    It just makes the device a little longer than it needs to be.
    Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    DWS44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnstMach View Post
    Am I alone in thinking that people are overreacting bug time to the bezel in the leaks? I realise that it may have not been the smartest use of the space, but its hardly the deal breaker that people are making it out to be. Its kind of stupid to pass over what may be the best android phone of 2014, or at least the best looking/built one just over a bezel, right? Besides, they could surprise us by not having it on the final model (there's been speculation that the big-bezel leaks are actually the mini) or even have gesture waking (ala BlackBerry 10 phones). Feel free to agree/disagree.

Yeah I'm starting to think I have overreacted myself.

So it's got a little extra bezel, big deal. It'll still be an outstanding phone, still have amazing screen/speakers/build/camera(hopefully)/software etc. The phone will be a little taller, but that's alright.

I think we all need to calm down and just realise it's a phone. It's got a little bit of extra bezel. Big deal.

I've been one of those making a stink about it. Trying to look on the bright side, as someone noted this might allow for a little larger battery. But the rumored 2900mAh isn't too amazing considering most flagships it seems are now sporting a 3000+mAh juicer.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

That big black bar on the bottom of the device just to show the HTC logo is absolutely inexcusable. The original One was already the tallest 4.7 inch phone on the market...I cannot see a single justifiable reason that it should be there. Throw in the fact that the power button is also on the top of the device (one of the hardest places to reach with one hand) and it exacerbates this design flaw even further. Is this a deal breaker? Absolutely.
    Thanked by 2:
    paulmike3 and trandz like this.

If this thing has a 5" screen (which it better have, thanks to on-screen buttons), the additional bezel is inexcusable and will make this device extremely tall and uncomfortable to handle. If it is still 4.7", has on screen buttons, and that ridiculous bezel, it'll be one of the most awkward looking phones on the market, and way too little screen real estate for a flagship device. Plus, the round edges make it look like a low-end device. Really hope this render is not the final product.
    trandz likes this.

A larger battery wouldn't affect the amount of bezel. Look at the LG G2. It has a huge battery and minimal amounts of bezel. I love my One but this one is leaving me cold. Looks to be the same design pretty much- with just some minor nip/tuck tweaks.

Over reacting or not, I will not get a phone that takes up that much of the front just to display their logo

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
    paulmike3 likes this.

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

That's what I've been thinking too. The leaks could be the mini. I'm sort of hoping they are just so they'll shut up about the bezel. Because it really does seem kind of unreasonable to reject just because of that and overlook anything it can actually DO. Totally agree. As long as the speakers are loud as they are on the OG One and I have 32gb of storage and decent sized battery like the OG One. I'm good. The bezel thing is just a"first world" problem to me.

Global Posts
    8,432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Manufacturers can't please everyone with the way they design their devices. There's going to be people who want edge to edge screens, thin bezels, a bigger battery or a great sounding device. There's only so much room to go around and the technology can't support every design feature in one device - at least not yet. HTC has a design philosophy they are trying to keep and likely have there own research that justifies their design choices - at least to them.

Personally I don't mind the larger bezel if it means a good sound experience or improvement to battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    coronaboy10 likes this.

It's hilarious seeing the amount of people having a heart attack about a bit of bezel.

Nexus 5 has a large and useless bottom bezel? No one says anything.

Z1 with huge, useless bezels? No one says anything.

M8 with a bit of bezel above the front facing speaker? THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

Get over it.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,729 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Let's see Xperia z1 is dust water and shock proof. Bigger bezels are required for that. Nexus 5 has it's notification light centered in the chin. HTC m8 dual front facing speakers which will make a tall phone taller then on top of that their is a black bezel area just for the HTC logo which will make the phone even taller. Oh and let's not forget those phones have side mounted power buttons. Which HTC refuses to adopt. Now I can understand if that area is needed due to connectors. So I feel I'm right to be disappointed but I won't right off the m8 completely
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by thebizz View Post
    Let's see Xperia z1 is dust water and shock proof. Bigger bezels are required for that. Nexus 5 has it's notification light centered in the chin. HTC m8 dual front facing speakers which will make a tall phone taller then on top of that their is a black bezel area just for the HTC logo which will make the phone even taller. Oh and let's not forget those phones have side mounted power buttons. Which HTC refuses to adopt. Now I can understand if that area is needed due to connectors. So I feel I'm right to be disappointed but I won't right off the m8 completely
    Wait wait wait. Its excusable for the Z1 and the Nexus 5 to have larger bezels because they have features like waterproofing and a chin mounted notification light? Yet when HTC has the bezel size increased by the dual speakers, a much more excusable increase in bezel space than a notification light IMO, everyone flips out? That seems a little silly. Also, its worth mentioning that we have no idea why the HTC logo bezel was included on the front, since we aren't phone designers and we certainly didn't design the phone. For all we know that bezel could have given the engineers just enough space for everything to fit in. Anyways I'm just saying to everybody, don't knock it till you try it, because you're going to look like fools if you're baying for blood over this and it doesn't turn out to be that bad.

Thanked by 2:
    coronaboy10 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by I Can Be Your Hero View Post
    It's hilarious seeing the amount of people having a heart attack about a bit of bezel.

Get over it.

Why should anyone have to get over it? In not telling you to like it or not. In saying I don't like it plain and simple. And I won't buy the phone because of it.

The front speakers already have the bezel larger but it's a fair trade because you get something out if it but to increase the size just to add their logo...

5 consecutive htc phones I've bought but it won't be 6. That's my opinion and I'm completely entitled to it

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,729 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Quote Originally Posted by ErnstMach View Post
    Wait wait wait. Its excusable for the Z1 and the Nexus 5 to have larger bezels because they have features like waterproofing and a chin mounted notification light? Yet when HTC has the bezel size increased by the dual speakers, a much more excusable increase in bezel space than a notification light IMO, everyone flips out? That seems a little silly. Also, its worth mentioning that we have no idea why the HTC logo bezel was included on the front, since we aren't phone designers and we certainly didn't design the phone. For all we know that bezel could have given the engineers just enough space for everything to fit in. Anyways I'm just saying to everybody, don't knock it till you try it, because you're going to look like fools if you're baying for blood over this and it doesn't turn out to be that bad.

No where did I say that I'm excusing the n5 or sony Xperia z1 I'm not going to buy either. But with the added length because of the dual front speakers I was simply hoping they would get rid of that black bezel. And as I've said before I would be good if the power button were relocated to the side or software were installed to keep me from reaching to the top of the phone to hit the power button. No it very well may be that that area is needed to fit everything inside if the package and HTC may not have had the funds to buy their panels from say lg. I really don't know but all I know is this phone will be very tall and skinny and it didn't work out for the previous one with me.
    Edit
    And keep in mind the original HTC one is only a half in shorter than the note 3. So your telling me that HTC is going to increase the size of the display and keep the black bar their which for all I know only displays the HTC logo. I find that to be a poor design choice especially when you consider the power button is located on the top. Now the increase in hight from the speakers is justifiable but a useless bar to me isn't
    Last edited by thebizz; 02-20-2014 at 10:53 PM.

It is a big deal and a complete waste of space on their part. The ergonomics will suffer tremendously, if you haven't used the Motorola Razr HD, you should try it to get a better idea since it also has the same issue, it has a massive bottom bezel and on screen buttons. This leads to difficulty in balancing the device while typing and an awkward typing stance as the keyboard is basically in the middle of the phone. You can blow it off as not a big deal but after a week or two it begins to wear on you.

If HTC releases the phone with that pointless black bezel, the engineer who designed it that way should be immediately fired.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    trandz likes this.

Get over it.

You must not have been paying attention, in every Sony Xperia article, whether its the Z ultra to Z compact, people complain about the size of the bezels. In the Nexus 5 forums there are threads with people complaining about the big bottom bezel and how it would've been much better if it had the same bezels of the Moto X.

The extra bezel due to the speakers are perfectly acceptle, a trade off needed to get those awesome speakers. But the bezel for just the HTC logo is rediculus and shows HTC is willing to compromise the design of their phone for marketing purposes.

And what really sucks about this compromise is that not only does it take the looks down a notch (though not ugly by any means, still a very beautiful phone) but compromises the functionalatiy of the phone by making it larger than it needs to be.

Global Posts
    5,165 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

The issue with the bezel is pretty simple. It serves no purpose. Last year they put the capacitive buttons there which is WHAT they should have done again but actually put all 3 buttons there. People do not need the HTC logo there. Does anyone see apple put their logo on the front, no because their design is recognizable for better or worse. I get why they are using the same form as last year, cost, a lot went into getting the design and mfg process sorted out which last year was riddled with delays due to it. The design is nice, but the bezel serves no purpose and its a big waste of space. Make use of it, put fingerprint sensor, some sort of feature there. Be unique.

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

You know what guys, I WANT that black bar. I can't tell you how many times I hit the bottom of the screen when I used my old galaxy s3. On my HTC One,the capacitive buttons are a bit hard to reach . Using the same design but with onscreen buttons would make it way easier to reach. And I hugely doubt that the black bar would have no function.

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts

its function is to display their damn logo. If you keep the bezel, then just keep the regular buttons.. The whole point of on-screen is to reduce the bezel, make it more screen with a smaller overall footprint. The inclusion of on-screen buttons AND the bezel just seems counter productive; moronic to me
    Thanked by 3:

Get over it.

Yea the nexus 5 did have the bottom spaced out bezel that was way out there

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

If the bezel serves a purpose for the consumer (e.g., needed for internal workings, or perhaps it provides some end benefit that we aren't yet aware of), then it's fine.

If the only purpose of the bezel is to provide a place for HTC to advertise itself, then I agree with those who are turned off by it.

I'm holding off judgment until the m8 is released and it is determined why the bezel is there.
    Thanked by:
    thebizz, Rose4uKY, trandz and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    5,165 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by zizu101 View Post
    You know what guys, I WANT that black bar. I can't tell you how many times I hit the bottom of the screen when I used my old galaxy s3. On my HTC One,the capacitive buttons are a bit hard to reach . Using the same design but with onscreen buttons would make it way easier to reach. And I hugely doubt that the black bar would have no function.

Well I had the HTC One last year and I never had a problem with the buttons being where they were. I also had the GS3, GS4, GN2, GN3 and never hit the buttons in error.
    Thanked by 2:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Personally, I don't care about that bezel as long as it keeps me from getting a tacky-*** S5 lol

Thanked by:
    trandz 
    coronaboy10 likes this.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

I want the biggest screen in the smallest phone along with good specs. I have an S4 and have already decided against the S5 since they have not reduced the bezel and went to on screen buttons. IMO the current LG G2 is a better option and if rumors or correct the G3 should be out in May. The HTC One 2 is a runner up if they maximize the screen/minimize the phone size otherwise I'd still prefer the G2 and the G3 will certainly be better yet. I hope the rumors/leaks about the HTC One 2 are wrong as otherwise it's a nice phone...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast